What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeah it was all Haynes fault because he was the one paying reserve graders over 200k per season. Not the coaches or the clown in charge of the cap and recruitment.

Hayne id say did not even cost what Foran cost.
The issue was more Darcey lussick - Sandow - Ben Smith - All on very decent money and under performed.
You then had guys being paid to play at other clubs and 3-4 guys being paid as top 17 players but no more then Wenty players. We basically blew 2 million on those reasons.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Considering he and Foran played two years apart, they were playing under different sized salary caps. On top of that, Foran was originally paid a large amount outside the cap. As a percentage of the cap Hayne would've been paid heaps more, as you would expect from a desperate club paying players up to double what they were worth. Hayne wasn't here to do us any favours.

hindy111

Post Whore
1Gordon --- Bevan
6Norman --- Norman
7Foran ---
9Peats ---

If Norman stays I think we will be fine. If he goes we are a mess. We have guys like Manu- Semi-KE -Tepai-Bevan-Alvaro on what I would say under valued contracts. Twal will be another who will be part of the 17 by mid 2017. We are getting great value out of these guys so it gives us a chance to have a top squad for 2017.

If we re-sign Norman then look at a halfback who can tackle and help out Norman we are in good shape. We could save 700k on Foran and upgrade guys like Terepo - Gower with guys worth 350-400k and still have some change.
Hooker is a bit of a worry. De gois is a handy back up and fill in player. Kaysa has a lot to prove still.

hindy111

Post Whore
Foran didn't play thou.
Not sure what he collected this year but what a salty taste left in mouth that dealing was.

hindy111

Post Whore
Someone mentioned we are looking at Ben Hannant.
He would be ok for depth on a one year deal. Nothing to get excited about thou.

Legal Eel

Juniors
I think there is somewhat of an overreaction here.

I would be just as upset as anyone if Norman left in the wake of Foran and then we failed to sign Hayne.

But if this happens, then I think you may find a couple of decent options on the market to spend the likely $2m in cap space:

1) For about max $300,000 we could get a hooker (perhaps a Baptiste or Cherrington or maybe Segeyaro or maybe even Mitch Rein); AND
2) a decent prop for about $350,000.00 ( perhaps a Paul Vaughan type or Sam Moa); AND
3) a quite decent back-up second rower and outside back for a total of $350,000 for both; AND
4) about a million on TWO quality halves....and depending on where Foran goes this may prove to be a combination from Josh Reynolds, Jackson Hastings, the Nikorimas, Ryan Matterson, Connor Watson, Sam Williams, Blake Green, maybe Te Maire martin (who knows what happens at the Panthers)....or who knows what other stars can be tempted to relocate?

I appreciate that these people are not necessarily off contract, but a market re-shuffle can lead to interesting unforeseen outcomes.

It may even mean that our available money in the halves could be warehoused for a shot at a blossoming superstar in twelve months time such as a Valentine Holmes or an evolved version of Mitchell Moses.

My point is that even though my personal first preference is Norman and maybe Hayne (love him but unsure of the expenditure and opportunity cost), the failure to retain or sign these blokes does not mean that the current team that Arthur is building will be completely lost as some have intimated...

If anything, I think the building blocks of team ethos and forward dominance instituted this year stand us in good stead for the next 3-5 years

Swiftstylez

Bench
Valentine Holmes is a must for 2018, I have been saying he is the future Hayne for years now before anyone even knew who he was. Let him develop at the Sharks and throw him at Fullback to carve it up for us.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agreed Legal Eel. There's a fair chance we won't have a team good enough to win a premiership next year, but suggestions we won't even be competitive are Chicken Little stuff. Unless we neglect our pack, like we did after Cayless, Hindmarsh and Moimoi began their decline, we will always challenge for the finals.

Gronk

Staff member
I think there is somewhat of an overreaction here.

I would be just as upset as anyone if Norman left in the wake of Foran and then we failed to sign Hayne.

But if this happens, then I think you may find a couple of decent options on the market to spend the likely $2m in cap space:

1) For about max $300,000 we could get a hooker (perhaps a Baptiste or Cherrington or maybe Segeyaro or maybe even Mitch Rein); AND
2) a decent prop for about $350,000.00 ( perhaps a Paul Vaughan type or Sam Moa); AND
3) a quite decent back-up second rower and outside back for a total of $350,000 for both; AND
4) about a million on TWO quality halves....and depending on where Foran goes this may prove to be a combination from Josh Reynolds, Jackson Hastings, the Nikorimas, Ryan Matterson, Connor Watson, Sam Williams, Blake Green, maybe Te Maire martin (who knows what happens at the Panthers)....or who knows what other stars can be tempted to relocate?

I appreciate that these people are not necessarily off contract, but a market re-shuffle can lead to interesting unforeseen outcomes.

It may even mean that our available money in the halves could be warehoused for a shot at a blossoming superstar in twelve months time such as a Valentine Holmes or an evolved version of Mitchell Moses.

My point is that even though my personal first preference is Norman and maybe Hayne (love him but unsure of the expenditure and opportunity cost), the failure to retain or sign these blokes does not mean that the current team that Arthur is building will be completely lost as some have intimated...

If anything, I think the building blocks of team ethos and forward dominance instituted this year stand us in good stead for the next 3-5 years

Welcome merkin.

hindy111

Post Whore
Penrith will have cleary long term-It then depends what they do with Moylan but I reckon he stays at fullback.

Mitch Rein is average. We would be best to go after a few young stars from under 20's.

We need Norman and another Half. An announcement would be nice soon as its getting late in the year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Penrith will have cleary long term-It then depends what they do with Moylan but I reckon he stays at fullback.

Mitch Rein is average. We would be best to go after a few young stars from under 20's.

We need Norman and another Half. An announcement would be nice soon as its getting late in the year.
The Sharks have an outstanding dummy half prospect in the under 20s. Thing is, there is probably so much demand the little merkin will be on $250k+ next year.

Latest posts