What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leilua Gets a start!

FlameThrower

Bench
Luciano and Mose can break not just bend the line and offload. Love to see them both play a long season next year. Why the delay signing Luciano?

Our juniors
Aitkin
Milne
Leilua
Host
Mann fairly young
have all been the shining light in recent outings in what has been a Woefull year.

Get Dufty out there too.
Our future is with these guys, for the first time in years we have decent talent in the juniors and those who have been given a taste of FG have done a great job. Why we've been messing about with other club rejects on big money taking up cap space AND blocking our 'own' is beyond me...the Clubs recruitment and pathways process has been crap, only in last few weeks have we seen thse young guys retained ...we btter resign Leilua...he has the X-factor.

Minh

First Grade
Our future is with these guys, for the first time in years we have decent talent in the juniors and those who have been given a taste of FG have done a great job. Why we've been messing about with other club rejects on big money taking up cap space AND blocking our 'own' is beyond me...the Clubs recruitment and pathways process has been crap, only in last few weeks have we seen thse young guys retained ...we btter resign Leilua...he has the X-factor.
There's definately young talent at this club waiting to shine, Mary must solely be responsible for this and it's taken a long time for him to have the guts to play them. the team is travelling poorly blood one or two players more players earlier in the season and give them a taste. Next I hope Dufty gets a shot, let him have a go we all know what Quinlan offers already.

1977dragon

Juniors
GREAT game by this youngster. Give him the contract he deservies before we lose another future star. Sign him now you baffoon McGreegor

getsmarty

Immortal
To be fair to our club, Paul McGregor said it the other day & what everyone on here realises. There are numerous players linked to our club that are just fodder for rumours in various forms of media. They come via the player manager to a mate or more in the media to create interest & a false bidding 'war'. Tony Williams has been shopped around, but no-one is biting because of the asking price. It wasn't a co-incidence his form improved around the time of the bidding 'war'.

These days it's even easier with social media that doesn't even require a real name to it. It can be to spark the interest or be timed to add to it. Meanwhile, the club is unaware of the so-called interest & it can have a de-stabilising effect on the players who share the same position as the alleged target for the club.

So if we lose Leulia at the expense of Sims or Thompson, would you be happy? I wouldn't. be.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Our future is with these guys, for the first time in years wthe Clubs recruitment and pathways process has been crape have decent talent in the juniors and those who have been given a taste of FG have done a great job. Why we've been messing about with other club rejects on big money taking up cap space AND blocking our 'own' is beyond me...the Clubs recruitment and pathways process has been crap, only in last few weeks have we seen thse young guys retained ...we btter resign Leilua...he has the X-factor.

Spot on. I loved it in the 80's, 90's, 2000's where we blooded our juniors. WHO cares if they made errors, unless they play first grade they will never learn or develop. If there is potential and talent, blood them ASAP. We lost Jack Bird, Hastings who I still believe under the right coach will shine, due to this pathways mismanagement process.

Talented players need to be encouraged and made to feel like they are the future of our great club. Not shunned aside where other clubs players are brought in at overpriced salaries chewing our salary cap to avoid getting the wooden spoon and also delay our junior talent to develop in first grade. Furthermore allowing surrounding clubs/vultures buy our talent.

We need a better pathways management to take note of what is in our backyard and how to prioritise that
to ensure we don't go through another Jack Bird or Hasting debacle. We must start with Luciano Leilua
as a most high priority. Last nights game was not a break out game for Luciano, he has played well for a long period. Why he has not be signed in any ones guess?

We need those accountable for the above mismanagement to leave our great club.

Last edited:

SaintPauli

Juniors
There's definately young talent at this club waiting to shine, Mary must solely be responsible for this and it's taken a long time for him to have the guts to play them. the team is travelling poorly blood one or two players more players earlier in the season and give them a taste. Next I hope Dufty gets a shot, let him have a go we all know what Quinlan offers already.
I'd love to see a Dufty and Aitkin combination! hard runners & Unstoppable

Dragsters

First Grade
Impressed by his work ethic as well - jumped into dummy half a few times when he shouldn't have had to

Yep he has that great off the ball work ethic and I have seen him do this a number of times, great work!

I was so happy he came on In the first half and was pleased to see him get longer minutes that I expected.

Good energy, some work to do in d but that will come with combinations and nice skills with the ball, that offload was sublime.

Promising signs indeed, now to lock him up long term.

Ps I thought host played well too, ran nice and hard.

getsmarty

Immortal
Leilua: Still Buzzing
Fri 5th August, 08:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons National Youth Competition second-rower Luciano Leilua is still ‘buzzing’ following his first-grade debut in the 12-8 loss to the Brisbane Broncos at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Thursday.

The local Hurtville United junior had been a late inclusion into the team following the suspension of Tyson Frizell and was named on the interchange for the wet and sodden fixture.

The former Australia Schoolboys representative competed for 50 minutes in front of his family and supporters and made 27 tackles, one offload as well as an impressive seven runs for 58 metres.

Leilua notes that he would enjoy the opportunity to add to this tally if a second selection was afforded to him but admits he likewise as keen to help his fellow teammates within the Young Dragons squad.

“I was absolutely buzzing being out there in the action and playing against who I did,” said Leilua.

“It was a lot faster and more physical than what I have been used to but I am proud of my effort.

“I was surprised when I was told the news that I would be playing but it was an opportunity I took with both hands.

“I was on the phone to my parents straight away and they were all here to watch me play my game which was cool.

“I could hardly sleep the night before as I was obviously nervous but all the boys told me to simply calm down.

“Mary simply told me to go out and play my game and take on what was in front of me which is what I did.

“I would be happy to get another crack playing at this level if given the chance again but just as happy to play my role with the NYC team if needed.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/08/05/leilua_.html

FlameThrower

Bench
Leilua: Still Buzzing
Fri 5th August, 08:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons National Youth Competition second-rower Luciano Leilua is still ‘buzzing’ following his first-grade debut in the 12-8 loss to the Brisbane Broncos at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Thursday.

The local Hurtville United junior had been a late inclusion into the team following the suspension of Tyson Frizell and was named on the interchange for the wet and sodden fixture.

The former Australia Schoolboys representative competed for 50 minutes in front of his family and supporters and made 27 tackles, one offload as well as an impressive seven runs for 58 metres.

Leilua notes that he would enjoy the opportunity to add to this tally if a second selection was afforded to him but admits he likewise as keen to help his fellow teammates within the Young Dragons squad.

“I was absolutely buzzing being out there in the action and playing against who I did,” said Leilua.

“It was a lot faster and more physical than what I have been used to but I am proud of my effort.

“I was surprised when I was told the news that I would be playing but it was an opportunity I took with both hands.

“I was on the phone to my parents straight away and they were all here to watch me play my game which was cool.

“I could hardly sleep the night before as I was obviously nervous but all the boys told me to simply calm down.

“Mary simply told me to go out and play my game and take on what was in front of me which is what I did.

“I would be happy to get another crack playing at this level if given the chance again but just as happy to play my role with the NYC team if needed.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/08/05/leilua_.html
Great Story! sounds like a level headed guy....we have players with fantastic potential underneath our noses....Come on Dragons sign him up ad blood him into FG.

St Tangles

Bench
The longer it takes to hear news on him re-signing the more I think it will be less likely it will be with us.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The longer it takes to hear news on him re-signing the more I think it will be less likely it will be with us.

Last year when Aitken debuted, the club announced his re-signing almost the next day if I remember rightly.

It's now been over 24 hrs and we get only a story that he is "buzzing".

Surely, an announcement tomorrow, if not then I too fear he will be or has already been snapped up by some one else.

DirtyHarry

Juniors
The assumption seems to be that a contract means something & we are guaranteed of his services for the period stipulated. LOL

getsmarty

Immortal
Leilua 2.0 looking to build on first grade tally
7 Aug 2016, 1:51 p.m.
r987_0_2394_1933_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Dragons latest debutant Luciano Leilua taking on Brisbane on Thursday

See your ad here
DRAGONS young-gun Luciano Leilua is hoping to add to his first grade tally after his debut proved one of the few bright spots in Thursday’s 12-8 loss to Brisbane that ended the club’s finals hopes.

The younger brother of Canberra star Joey Leilua produced seven carries and a deft offload in a stint that coach Paul McGregor admitted exceeded his expectations.

“I was absolutely buzzing being out there in the action and playing against who I did,” Leilua said.

“It was a lot faster and more physical than what I have been used to but I am proud of my effort. I was surprised when I was told the news that I would be playing but it was an opportunity I took with both hands.

“I was on the phone to my parents straight away and they were all here to watch me play my game which was cool. I could hardly sleep the night before as I was obviously nervous but all the boys told me to simply calm down. Mary simply told me to go out and play my game and take on what was in front of me which is what I did.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4079763/leilua-hoping-to-add-to-tally/?cs=2382

The Doc

Juniors
This kid is a big unit... and has unbelievable skill for his age.
Needs to be signed asap . Management better not f#@k this up!!!
Him and mose on the bench next year... salivating stuff!!!