What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leilua Gets a start!

TheRev

First Grade
He stepped up so well.. imagine once he is training with 1st grade, full-time.., fitter, leaner, but a big body.. but yes would be a disaster to miss out on his signature, were not going to be pulling talent from externally until we dig ourselves out of this deep deep hole our club has worked itself into.

Uplifting

Juniors
He stepped up so well.. imagine once he is training with 1st grade, full-time.., fitter, leaner, but a big body.. but yes would be a disaster to miss out on his signature, were not going to be pulling talent from externally until we dig ourselves out of this deep deep hole our club has worked itself into.
As long as he's not turned in to a robot. Hopefully the coach is learning that raw talent shouldn't be over coached and set plays should not be over prescribed.

Bench
If we don't sign him up long term, it will be a tradegy, you don't see many juniors who can be a superstar that often

Last edited:

SaintPauli

Juniors
re : T-Rex. absolutely NOT. Only plays well (that's actually debatable this time round)
when contract is up for renewal.

In order and immediately;
1/ Ivan Cleary for Assistant coach "coaching director" until Mary's contract is complete,
unless Mary relinquishes his role Prior or during next season.

2/ Sign Luciano who would be confident with a positive outlook at the club based on point 1 above.

Mr Red

First Grade
Apparently we were after T-Rex... i think those dollars would be better spent keeping this giant instead.

Sums up the dragons ridiculous logic perfectly doesn't it..
Pursue an older back rower who hasn't done anything in at least 2 seasons, whilst an up an coming local junior who has just impressed in their first grade debut is still left unsigned, even though they are aware Canberra is interested .....

Pathetic.

The Doc

Juniors
Pursue an older back rower who hasn't done anything in at least 2 seasons, whilst an up an coming local junior who has just impressed in their first grade debut is still left unsigned, even though they are aware Canberra is interested .....

Pathetic.
Im not sticking up for mamagement... but...In all fairness... its not as easy as alot fans think it is.
Lets be real here... loyalty in rugby league died in the super league wars....
When you have 25 or so players to sign, and you have a salary cap, its a hard juggle.
I assure you if you were there doing the job, there would be just as many fans irate at your player retention / signing decisions.
As there would be with any one of us doing that job.
Tony Williams has been in devasting form since being back in the top grade, he can be a devastating player.
Again, some fans will love to sign him, some wont. Impossible to please every fan.
All we can do is hope a clean out is undertaken and a new board is elected.
In the mean time, lets hope the boys get there shit together on the field and start performing.

since77

Juniors

Pathetic.

Not to mention Mc Gregor isn't smart enough to continue blooding him this week in a game that means nothing since finals are now mathematically out of the question (our actual chances were blown a month ago).

BennyV

Referee
Im not sticking up for mamagement... but...In all fairness... its not as easy as alot fans think it is.
Lets be real here... loyalty in rugby league died in the super league wars....
When you have 25 or so players to sign, and you have a salary cap, its a hard juggle.
I assure you if you were there doing the job, there would be just as many fans irate at your player retention / signing decisions.
As there would be with any one of us doing that job.
Tony Williams has been in devasting form since being back in the top grade, he can be a devastating player.
Again, some fans will love to sign him, some wont. Impossible to please every fan.
All we can do is hope a clean out is undertaken and a new board is elected.
In the mean time, lets hope the boys get there shit together on the field and start performing.
Cutting through all that crap, however, one only needs to look at value of Leilua vs Williams, and even for the same price (which wont be true, Williams would command much more) Leilua provides more upside at this point.

The Doc

Juniors
Cutting through what crap? The crap that ur basing everything on one first grade game?
I think Leilua could be a future star, but he isnt an established first grader.
Maybe that performance was a factor of debut plus family being there plus playing an out of form broncos.
Maybe it was because he plays that way every week.
Maybe he will go on and represent Australia.
Maybe he suffers 2nd year syndrome and falls by the way side.
I think Leiluas value has increased to almost the same amount as what William's price has dropped to.
To me, its to early to compare the two. Leilua seems to be all the hype right now, but in reality he hasnt had the chance to show if he can perform like that every week.
We all know what williams brings to the table.
We know what he can do when he is switched on, and we all k ow what he can do (or doesnt do) when he isnt.
Lets just hope Leilua and Host are the begining of the good old days when we could produce international front rowers from our own nursery.
Also, lets hope that we get to see how Leilua pans out in a red V in 2017....
Fingers crossed on that one.

BennyV

Referee
Cutting through what crap? The crap that ur basing everything on one first grade game?
I think Leilua could be a future star, but he isnt an established first grader.
Maybe that performance was a factor of debut plus family being there plus playing an out of form broncos.
Maybe it was because he plays that way every week.
Maybe he will go on and represent Australia.
Maybe he suffers 2nd year syndrome and falls by the way side.
I think Leiluas value has increased to almost the same amount as what William's price has dropped to.
To me, its to early to compare the two. Leilua seems to be all the hype right now, but in reality he hasnt had the chance to show if he can perform like that every week.
We all know what williams brings to the table.
We know what he can do when he is switched on, and we all k ow what he can do (or doesnt do) when he isnt.
Lets just hope Leilua and Host are the begining of the good old days when we could produce international front rowers from our own nursery.
Also, lets hope that we get to see how Leilua pans out in a red V in 2017....
Fingers crossed on that one.
"The crap" being the Doust-like spin about juggling players in the cap, fitting 25 players in, etc. Because its not abot the 24 other players, its about 1.
Look at our squad moving forward; we have a very established backrow including Frizzell, Thompson, Sims and JDB. Williams isnt going to knock any of those guys out. We also have Host, who is a development player and has shown he can handle first grade. Where does Williams fit? Do we pay him established-first-grade money to come and play NSW Cup? Or do we drop Thompson right after re-signing him? Williams CAN be devestating, but if Hasler cant get him to fire for 3 years untol contract time, what chance do we have? What do we gain from the signing?
On the other hand, Leilua is full of potential, has dominated NYC and had a very good first grade debut. He wont be kept on as a first stringer just yet, but as another development player with the skill to play edge and size to play middle. He will be significantly cheaper than Williams with equal short term benefits (the chance that he dominates is about equal to the number of games Williams decides to dominate) with far greater long term benefits.

It really is a no-brainer.

The Doc

Juniors
"The crap" being the Doust-like spin about juggling players in the cap, fitting 25 players in, etc. Because its not abot the 24 other players, its about 1.
Look at our squad moving forward; we have a very established backrow including Frizzell, Thompson, Sims and JDB. Williams isnt going to knock any of those guys out. We also have Host, who is a development player and has shown he can handle first grade. Where does Williams fit? Do we pay him established-first-grade money to come and play NSW Cup? Or do we drop Thompson right after re-signing him? Williams CAN be devestating, but if Hasler cant get him to fire for 3 years untol contract time, what chance do we have? What do we gain from the signing?
On the other hand, Leilua is full of potential, has dominated NYC and had a very good first grade debut. He wont be kept on as a first stringer just yet, but as another development player with the skill to play edge and size to play middle. He will be significantly cheaper than Williams with equal short term benefits (the chance that he dominates is about equal to the number of games Williams decides to dominate) with far greater long term benefits.

It really is a no-brainer.
So we sign Leilua but not kepp him as a first stringer?
So if another club offers him a chance to be a regular first grader (aka Bird) then what?
To many fans everything is a no brainer, its never about the other 24 players, its always about one player only.
But the salary cap and team latout is about 25 players. Facts are fact. We can nit pick all we like to bag out management but the make up of a squad isnt as easy as one player only.
While sorting out Leilua we also have an issue with our 9 and our 7 moving forward.
That automatically makes more then just one player.
The same way we cant assure williams a start with the forwards we have... Leilua falls into that same category.
But at another club.... he might get a better chance.
Im not having a go, just stating with all that needs to be done id rather see management spend time now fixing our 7 and 9 and signing Leilua asap instead of focusing on spinning shit to keep angry fans at bay!!!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
My opinion on this is simple.

T-Rex was definitely on our radar and we were probably in the serious stages of negotiations, maybe even at the stage of commitment. Then, with injuries and suspensions, we had to give Leilua a start, with no expectations or even a plan of how to use him. However, Leilua, more than surprised, in fact probably shocked them with his impressive debut, enough to leave him out there for an extended period of time, on a cold and wet night, that really didn't suit his game.
Now, there is probably some re-thinking, and was his debut a one-off or can he deliver week in week out. I would like to see him get another start this week, on a dry track and see how he can perform against the big and confident Sharks pack (probably at the expense of Matthews IMO).

Only then will we all get a clearer picture.

Mr Red

First Grade

nek minute..

hmmm im struggling with the logic here..
you cant be a devastating established first grader as you have mentioned Williams is, but next minute state his asking price has dropped to the same as a guy with 1 game to his belt... really??
there is no doubt that is this point in their careers, Williams would be asking for 3 times as much...

my estimates:
Williams $450k (considering we paid $400k for Sims..)
Leilua $150k

The Doc

Juniors
nek minute..

hmmm im struggling with the logic here..
you cant be a devastating established first grader as you have mentioned Williams is, but next minute state his asking price has dropped to the same as a guy with 1 game to his belt... really??
there is no doubt that is this point in their careers, Williams would be asking for 3 times as much...

my estimates:
Williams $450k (considering we paid $400k for Sims..)
Leilua $150k
As a long time forum reader previous to joining im familiar with ur work red...
Read entire posts without picking bits and pieces.
I said williams has been in devastating form since being promoted back to first grade but i also said we all know he is inconsistent.
His inconsistancy is what has dropped his price...
Leiluas debut plus all the hoopla by fans about him has upped his price.
Its not rocket science.... no need to pick and choose bits and pieces to form an arguement.
Good try though... just the wrong person to try it with.

Mr Red

First Grade
As a long time forum reader previous to joining im familiar with ur work red...
Read entire posts without picking bits and pieces.
I said williams has been in devastating form since being promoted back to first grade but i also said we all know he is inconsistent.
His inconsistancy is what has dropped his price...
Leiluas debut plus all the hoopla by fans about him has upped his price.
Its not rocket science.... no need to pick and choose bits and pieces to form an arguement.
Good try though... just the wrong person to try it with.

in all seriousness... you surely can't think Williams and Leilua would be asking the same price at this point in time?
sure Williams may no longer get the rumoured 700k a season he is on at the dogs, however i still think as i said he would command a good 2 to 3 times more than a guy with 1 first grade game..potential or not.

Last edited:

The Doc

Juniors
Red... remember the dogs saw promise in klemmer and signed him to a 3 year 350k per year contract before he played a single first grade game.
They are known to throw big dollars at young guys if they see potential.
Lloyd perrett is on 280k a year and he is a flop.
Leilua would be offered 300-350k per year by a numner of clubs.
Williams wouldnt be offered more then 400k thanks to his inconsistencies... so the price wouldnt be very different.

Latest posts