What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bath's Babes

Bench
Mary and the club should go and look at the 1977 side that were written off as not having the experience.

We can't compete for first grade players and it might take a few years but we have a good mix of juniors coming through and together with the old heads would be a threat maybe not next year but you never know, we can't do any worse then this year

sco22

Juniors
The 77, 78, 79 teams had great footy players but we had the great Harry Bath. Not the pretender we have now.

RedVDragon

Juniors
Well run club and a great coach who lead young men to greatness.

We are now run by a bunch of ***, who have egos greater than Texas, a coach who can't coach and a hooker that can't play at NRL standards.

Gareth67

First Grade
One memory of those years that stands out for me , was a semi-final match against the Roosters that had the great Artie Beetson playing as prop .

Old Harry had him pegged as the danger man , that we had to be wary of .
So he came up with the plan , for 3 different Saints forwards to hit poor old Artie fair in the face , each time a scrum packed .

So on each occasion Artie was called out by the Ref. plus a different Dragon forward .
In those days it was , 3 strikes and you were out .

Naturally the Ref. being a man with a logical brain in his skull , quickly deduced that Arthur Beetson was the trouble-maker , so after the 3rd indiscretion he promptly sent poor old Artie off !

Needless to say Harry Bath was a having a great laugh , as Baths Babes went on to win the semi , and as we all know the Premiership .

Yes he was certainly a great coach .

1st & 10

Juniors
Rod McGregor was a text book tackling machine. Even growing up in the 80s, I used to study his technique intently.

Lord Tedd's try in that GF - amazing. Would it be deemed a try in today's bunker mayhem?

The touch judge being taken out with a beer can in front of the old hill

The roar when Mark Shulman made his appearance on the sideline

Harry Bath giving the camera a smile whilst holding up his pack of smokes

Rex Mossop's commentary, I loved the mooses style. He didn't butt kiss the players with his comments, he called it how he saw it (even though his love of manly was obvious)

The game had great personality back then

Coffs dragon

Bench
f**knuckle Mcreggor would not have a clue how to develop a young team and inspire them with innovative game plans. Comparing him to the old fox Harry Bath is like Quinlan vs Lord Ted!!!!
The sooner this knobhead is removed from the Dragons the better off the team will be plus all the fans.
Such great memories of Baths Babes.... Stoney, Slippery, JJ, Lord Ted, Johno, Rocket, Albert, Starkey.

gorilla

First Grade
Rod McGregor was a text book tackling machine. Even growing up in the 80s, I used to study his technique intently.

Lord Tedd's try in that GF - amazing. Would it be deemed a try in today's bunker mayhem?

The touch judge being taken out with a beer can in front of the old hill

The roar when Mark Shulman made his appearance on the sideline

Harry Bath giving the camera a smile whilst holding up his pack of smokes

Rex Mossop's commentary, I loved the mooses style. He didn't butt kiss the players with his comments, he called it how he saw it (even though his love of manly was obvious)

The game had great personality back then

It was great.

I recall tho' that it was in the 1975-76 period that Bath's Babes were coming through the (?then) u/23s (or whatever it was then) and you could see the pack forming then and I knew we'd have a premiership coming soon, so it was great to see it realised.

After Changa, Rocket was my hero.

1st & 10

Juniors
And that is a big thing missing in today's game. All three grades from 12 noon game day. Same team, same jerseys etc . It was a great pathway to 1st grade

Loved how you would see the young ones playing with veterans (out of form or returning from injury) in reserve grade and even thirds (when it was open age) . Craig young wearing jersey 26, reserve grade prop coming back for injury ( prior to int numbering). That lifts a young player and they learn. Today they get dropped back to park football.

Love scrounging through my thousand big league mags, esp 80s and 70s

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Matty Elliot reminds me of the great Harry Bath, perhaps he could come back to the Dragons and instill the spirit of Harry in the current group lol....played hooker and 2nd row just like Harry.

SaintPauli

Juniors
I actually don't mind ex. Dragon Matty Elliots knowledge of the game particularly with his analysis technical reports on NRL online which are excellent. He has an attack style footy mind.

Perhaps he can come back with this refined and renewed knowledge and coach again. Ironically on one NRL show he basically said the dragons had skillfull players but that skill was not being brought to life. Sounded like critique of the current coach and a hint of putting up his hand for a coaching job.

dannyt

Coach
It was great.

I recall tho' that it was in the 1975-76 period that Bath's Babes were coming through the (?then) u/23s (or whatever it was then) and you could see the pack forming then and I knew we'd have a premiership coming soon, so it was great to see it realised.

After Changa, Rocket was my hero.
Rocket was definitely a favourite, until he showed his treachery in 1996

Latest posts