What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutters V Tigers Qualifying Final

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Good luck to our Cutters boys as they face the Tigers in the qualifying final.

Some great talent on display and maybe some smokies for next season in the NRL.

Go get 'em boys!!!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Whilst on this thread I thought I'd share some players thoughts re JD:

1st from Tyrone McCarthy:
"McCarthy is a fresh face after arriving from the Hull Kingston Rovers last year, and believes that Demetriou – who was on the coaching staff of premiership winning North Queensland Cowboys in 2015 – has developed a winning culture within the club.

“There’s a new culture with JD [Demetriou], he brought that culture in and in a season of building we are performing at the right time of the year,” McCarthy tells NSWRL.com.au.

“It’s a lot of the newer boys playing together [too], everyone seems to have each other’s back.

“I think at the beginning of the year we were inconsistent with some of the results, but at the back-end of the season we’ve really found the groove”

2nd from Levi Dodd:
"In the tough world that is a reserve grade competition, Dodd believes that bond and culture created under coach Jason Demetriou will reveal itself in what are sure to be tough finals encounters.

“The bond we have gets stronger each week and JD and the coaching staff bring a lot of confidence to the group,” Dodd said.

“The boys get a thrill out of that and we just need to put our heads down and try and do the business. We don’t really talk about other contracts and all that jazz.

“It’s the now we care about and the jersey we put on. It's about the mateship we’ve created and the brotherhood that we’ve built.”

Obviously JD is not only a coach but his qualities extend far beyond just the clipboard. I really hope he's not lost to our club, because we need this type of coach in our system to help our players both juniors and seniors.

TheRev

First Grade
I think the Cutters will struggle a little, but hopefully we get through, Hutch to shine after his week in 1sts...... Finals Week 2 we field a much stronger side, well... maybe 20% stronger, Milne, Host and co

I was looking at the 20's situation, currently 3rd, they can finish anywhere between 3rd & 5th, but week 1 of finals will be tough if they finish 3 or 4, the top 2 sides are very strong... but still.. better to finish top 4 and guarantee a 2nd chance... if they get Leilua back it will be massive for them.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think the Cutters will struggle a little, but hopefully we get through, Hutch to shine after his week in 1sts...... Finals Week 2 we field a much stronger side, well... maybe 20% stronger, Milne, Host and co

I was looking at the 20's situation, currently 3rd, they can finish anywhere between 3rd & 5th, but week 1 of finals will be tough if they finish 3 or 4, the top 2 sides are very strong... but still.. better to finish top 4 and guarantee a 2nd chance... if they get Leilua back it will be massive for them.

I have a feeling Milne will play for the Cutters today (no info just a feeling).

If the U20's can secure 3rd place it would be massive for them. Considering as they enter the finals, they will have back:
Leilua, Sele, Host who are still U20's qualified and maybe even Garrick.
I think this team could go all the way, but will face some tough opposition from the Panthers squad (who I hope make the finals and that would mean Nathan Cleary will stay in 1st's).

grouch

First Grade
Demetriou is putting his head squarely on the chopping block with results and feedback like this

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Ok, next up our Cutters boys.

Guys, I can't get this game live so updates etc would be appreciated.
I'm also interested in the following players and wether they would be suitable for 1st grade standard:

Levi Dodd - as a back up centre/wing
Josh McCrone - playing hooker instead of Havili today. Is this a sign, but interested to see how he goes
Hame Sele - as a future prop/interchange