What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos targeting Jason Demetriou

blacksafake

First Grade
Tragic if true. Surely his best chance of a head coaching gig is at the Dragons. L plate is on very thin ice & whilst working under Bennett is a no brainer compared to L plate Bennett will always look after No 1. If he feels JD is a threat he'll very quickly cut him loose.

Does this news now give L plate the ammo to have his friends in the club reason to move JD on.

dragonreddy

Juniors
Bennett will be retiring soon I would imagine ,or at the very least assume a coaching director role to oversee a new coach.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Well as I see it he can go to the Bronco's and hope Bennett keeps him for another 3 years until he retires . Then hope that he gets the gig remembering the last 3 coaches who took over from Bennett ..Henjak , Price and Stone bit the dust very quickly ...OR....Stay at the Dragons and be coaching first grade by the middle of next year . I can't see Mary seeing next year out. All it will take is 6 or 8 weeks of what we served up this year and Doust and the board will go into survival mode and Mary will be gone .

Old Timer

Coach
Bennett will be retiring soon I would imagine ,or at the very least assume a coaching director role to oversee a new coach.
Bennett has / is going through a separation and if that was not enough for him to stand down immediately, then I doubt he has any intentions to do so quickly, other than if his team falls apart and doesn't perform.
Remember he is the chosen one up there so probably can stay until he dies.

dragonreddy

Juniors
Bennett has / is going through a separation and if that was not enough for him to stand down immediately, then I doubt he has any intentions to do so quickly, other than if his team falls apart and doesn't perform.
Remember he is the chosen one up there so probably can stay until he dies.

He has been separated for a lot longer than you think ,it is just that it hit the press recently.
He is 67 in January he's good but he isn't Superman ,he must be looking at retirement very soon.

GC Dragon

Juniors
He has been separated for a lot longer than you think ,it is just that it hit the press recently.
He is 67 in January he's good but he isn't Superman ,he must be looking at retirement very soon.
OT is right he is the " Chosen One " up here. He extended his contract this year until the end of 2019 and I know he will be 70 but if he wants to go on he will .

Walpole

Juniors
I will be pissed if JD leaves but spare me days not 5 minutes ago lots on here were saying "No more rookies it has to be Hasler or Cleary"
How quickly the mood swings in this place.

It's just desperation (and rightfully so!). Keep JD, get Hasler, whatever, as long as Mary is gone. It's why we're now pinning our hopes on Mark Coyne being able to get something done.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if JD goes to the Broncos. It seems Bennett has done his best to undermine the Dragons since he left (two years early). He took a number of players with him, recommended Price as coach, perhaps this is his latest F*** You to one P.Doust...

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
Well,what would you do lads.A club with the money and all of Brisbane versus a club with no money and a basketfull of problems. If he stays good on him,however I would be putting my money on the Bronco's at this stage. Only love of the Dragon's and a certainty of the first grade coaching job will keep him.Unfortunately this has happened a couple of months too early for us. This is why Bennett is now making his move to grab Demetriou.

Love my Dragons :(

Coffs dragon

Bench
Why can't Bennett just take Dean Young or Ben Hornby as he's already screwed us once big time by recommending Pricey. This way he'd be doing us a favour by breaking up the old boys brigade.

FlameThrower

Bench
Something the stands out now as a bad joke, when the Club released that stupid statement of Mary having future as NRL coach? Well if you wanted real world proof, if the horrendous 2016 was not enough. Is the fact that no club is interested in poaching Mary, but one of the most successful coaches in Rugby League is targeting JD....
Surely that says something to the board...ie they have once again backed the wrong man and may let a proven successful coach with a great future slip through our hands.
I also don't see any Club wanting to poach Hornby or Young at this stage..

j0nesy

Bench
The frustrating thing for me is that instead of moving Mary on the club put in place coaching review panel. What should have happened is that Mary should have been let go quickly, quietly and in a gentle fashion; and JD should have been established as first grade coach immediately. Now what we have is other clubs circling for his signature which will only make things more difficult and costly for us.

Reactions: Qdf

Forster Dragon

Juniors
If he leaves I am over this mob.I have been a champion of supporting our great club but this is the game breaker for me.Doust and his grubby in house mates can stick it up their proverbial.

BennyV

Referee
If he leaves I am over this mob.I have been a champion of supporting our great club but this is the game breaker for me.Doust and his grubby in house mates can stick it up their proverbial.
Doesnt that feel better!!!
download.jpg

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Any other club in any other sporting code in the world would have dumped Mary by now and replaced him with JD. The Dragons just move too slow.

matPORTS

Juniors
The thing that really stands out from my point of view is that their doesn't seem to be any urgency from club management to change the status quo.

JD getting a promotion, if for anything as a reward for his outstanding work with the Cutters this year, would have been a step in the right direction for the club and some consultation for not being able to bring in Cleary or another established coach who may have been on the market. In fact, If JD really is under contract for 2017 with us (as some are alluding too on this thread - hopefully it is water tight), I'd be pulling all stops to promote the guy immediately thus giving him a chance to show what he is made off! What have we got to lose here?? We have another 2-3 weeks before pre-season training begins. Do something!!

Unfortunately we are about to get it all so wrong yet again! JD will be gone in much the same way that Peter Mullholland made an exit this time last year. Regardless of whether there is a contract in place or not, the club is not prepared for and/or is too slow to make the tough business decisions! Absolutely pathetic!!

When the penny finally does drop say ten weeks into next season, and Dousty sobers up from his latest case of Crownies:

Mary will finally given his marching orders. Ben Hornby or Dean Young will be instilled as interim. The results miraculously turn around and we manage to avoid complete obliteration and the wooden spoon. We will get linked to Hasler and/or Cleary for 2018 but they won't sign due to our management having no foresight (with the blame deflected towards not having the necessary funds). This will give us no choice but to offer whoever got instilled as interim a three year water tight contract as permanent head coach. Sounds like 2014 all over again! Back to square one.

Like most others, I am just about done with all of this! Very much emotionally prepared for the fact that the wooden spoon is probably coming our way in 2017. So angry at the sheer incompetence which is continuously on display from the management of our once great club. If I performed like this in my job I'd be walked immediately!

Reactions: Qdf

possm

Coach
The decision to keep Mary as head coach for 2017 is simply ridiculous. Only these inept Board members could come up with such a decision in the face of what has happened over the past 5 years.

Because the salary of coach is not capped and not included in the player salary cap, the Broncos can pay what ever they like to gain JD's services.

Move Mary to the Cutters at his current salary and hire JD with a salary increase and huge incentives.