What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Optus snatches English Premier League rights from Fox Sports in Australia

Haffa

They don't do anything special for it, do they?

I mean all of the programming comes straight from the EPL, whereas Fox had a bit of local programming (pre-game show, etc).
That's true but it's content we didn't get until now. The Fox coverage had it's moments but it had become stale.

Mong

Post Whore
I don't understand this stance. Do you want Fox to have a monopoly and continue to dick everyone?

Losing the Prem has made them bring their prices down and attempt to up their game. Competition is only good in my eyes. Hope the NRL can properly use it to their advantage in their next rights deal.

Yep

Follow something for 50 years, stop because of who the broadcaster becomes..

Seems reasonable

Lolz

Haffa

Yep

Follow something for 50 years, stop because of who the broadcaster becomes..

Seems reasonable

Lolz
Exact same initial reaction in the UK. After years of crying about Sky's coverage everyone was outraged. Now BT Sport provides a better package and people are exiting Sky.

The Outage should be with Foxtel for lowballing the PL with their bid. I may be mistaken but I think their bid wasn't much more than what Bein bid.

saint.nick

Coach
So just like Foxtel did to C7 sport customers? I find it amusing when Optus get criticised for doing exactly what foxtel have done in the past.

Most of the people I know didn't have an issue giving Foxtel the flick and some who couldn't afford Foxtel now have access to live EPL for a fraction of the cost. The quite larger fee for the normal Fetch is $15 compared to $5.
I don't think C7 is an entirely fair comparison.

The people you know must have reliable internet connection, but there's a fair amount of people out there with more dodgy internet. Most of the social media reaction has been resoundingly negative. It's almost been a year since the Optus deal and there's still people hijacking Fox Sports Facebook posts about how they lost the EPL rights.

If Optus were able to provide everyone a much smoother transition away from Foxtel just to watch EPL, the reaction wouldn't be so negative.

That's true but it's content we didn't get until now. The Fox coverage had it's moments but it had become stale.

Yeah it's great, I watch the daily shows regularly.

I don't think C7 is an entirely fair comparison.

The people you know must have reliable internet connection, but there's a fair amount of people out there with more dodgy internet. Most of the social media reaction has been resoundingly negative. It's almost been a year since the Optus deal and there's still people hijacking Fox Sports Facebook posts about how they lost the EPL rights.

If Optus were able to provide everyone a much smoother transition away from Foxtel just to watch EPL, the reaction wouldn't be so negative.

There are a number of ways to get the Optus service, including satellite . Optus perhaps hasn't categorised or marketed them properly though.

Either way, Foxtel doesn't and shouldn't have a divine right to hold the TV rights for sports. If they want it next time, they should pay up - just like their customers have paid up, being fleeced for all these years.

saint.nick

Coach
Yeah it's great, I watch the daily shows regularly.

There are a number of ways to get the Optus service, including satellite . Optus perhaps hasn't categorised or marketed them properly though.

Either way, Foxtel doesn't and shouldn't have a divine right to hold the TV rights for sports. If they want it next time, they should pay up - just like their customers have paid up, being fleeced for all these years.
Of course they shouldn't have a divine right, I'm all for a competitive marketplace.

And you're telling me that an average guy can watch optus EPL on his tv at home with satellite instead of fetch? Because they seemed to imply that's only for pubs and clubs.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Optus can indeed still get f**ked.

Their mobile phone coverage is atrocious in my region. Appalling customer service too.

No way would I change my service provider from Telstra to Optus just to watch the EPL. Had they provided some other alternative... a digial pass like the NFL then that would have been fine.

As it is they can get stuffed. Fortunately I'm an Owls fan so can still watch the Championship on BeIn anyway.

Still, I've barely noticed the EPL is on this year.

Front-Rower

First Grade

Satellite = $780 a year + an upfront $250 installs fee to watch one league, a re-transmission of channel 9 cricket coverage and a moblie phone which probably doesn't connect half the time

Vs.

Foxtel Sports HD = $732 a year for which entitles the viewer to all NRL and AFL games live (except GF's), most overseas cricket internationals, ESPN, Sky Racing and BeIn Sports

I'm no Foxtel fan but the value certainly is not there with Optus.

saint.nick

Coach
Optus can indeed still get f**ked.

Their mobile phone coverage is atrocious in my region. Appalling customer service too.

No way would I change my service provider from Telstra to Optus just to watch the EPL. Had they provided some other alternative... a digial pass like the NFL then that would have been fine.

As it is they can get stuffed. Fortunately I'm an Owls fan so can still watch the Championship on BeIn anyway.

Still, I've barely noticed the EPL is on this year.
Exactly. Something similar to the NFL game pass concept would perfectly suffice. But nope, they decided to hijack the EPL instead, like they've kidnapped your daughter for ransom.

Satellite = $780 a year + an upfront $250 installs fee to watch one league, a re-transmission of channel 9 cricket coverage and a moblie phone which probably doesn't connect half the time

Vs.

Foxtel Sports HD = $732 a year for which entitles the viewer to all NRL and AFL games live (except GF's), most overseas cricket internationals, ESPN, Sky Racing and BeIn Sports

I'm no Foxtel fan but the value certainly is not there with Optus.

Shitty value but

Then get the Fetch Box.

Of course they're not gonna have loads of sports content just yet since Foxtel likes to have monopoly on everything, so it'll take time. They've gotta start from somewhere.

I was paying $80-100 dollars for Foxtel for only the Prem and NRL, now I'm paying $40 for both. Sounds like value to me.

Haffa

Obviously each persons circumstances are different but the switch has saved me $125 a month. The Sports content covers my needs and the entertainment covers the wife and kids.

Foxtel and their monopoly can get f**ked, Optus taking the fight to them is the best thing that could have happened.

saint.nick

Coach
Then get the Fetch Box.

Of course they're not gonna have loads of sports content just yet since Foxtel likes to have monopoly on everything, so it'll take time. They've gotta start from somewhere.

I was paying $80-100 dollars for Foxtel for only the Prem and NRL, now I'm paying $40 for both. Sounds like value to me.
That's not the entire point. I could get the Fetch Box, but a lot of other people can't because their internet is substandard for a whole different story of reasons.

That's not the entire point. I could get the Fetch Box, but a lot of other people can't because their internet is substandard for a whole different story of reasons.

Anyone with NBN, ADSL 2+, and Cable should be fine. Plenty of wireless providers you'd be fine on as well.

That leaves normal ADSL where you'd probably be a bit iffy, but as I said, they also have the satellite service.

You can't please every single individual.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Then get the Fetch Box.

Fetch mini costs min $50 a month ($30 for phone and $15 for Optus Sport and $5 for mini)

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/phones/sim-only

Fetch box costs min $110 a month ($110 for Internet fixed line and $0 for Optus Sport)

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/plans?bt=FBB&tl=FTEL

The issue is not Optus having the rights it's the way they have hidden it behind their non-related products and treating the internet as a pay-tv delivery service rather than what it is. If someone could create an account online (without needing an unrelated product) and watch on their Apple TV etc..for $20-25 a month there would not be an issue.

Haffa

So they've packaged it with shit you don't need but things others may need, or may switch for? What a uniquely optus deal!!!

Next thing they'll be adding an AFL package onto it and giving those merkins money.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldn't help the people with apparent shitty internet connections who can't get fetch to work they don't even get the min 3mbps fetch requires.

so my crappy 1.5 mbps wont cut it, lol

I'm about 2 months away from getting NBN, cant come soon enough

Latest posts