What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

Crush

Coach
Possm
If our halves and hooker control the game properly you should be able to avoid this scenario of killing your forwards with too big a workload.
Melbourne predicate their entire season on a forward power game combined with judicious use of the backs and a strong kicking game.
My greatest concern would be that on yesterdays form 3 of our forwards could potentially play their way into SOO contention and that would hurt us for sure.
OT, I know you were dubious about the Macdonald purchase but I think he showed some real potential yesterday. I was very impressed with him.
I would still like to see Mann on the other wing though.

Crush

Coach
People are idiots!

Mary found a game plan that worked yesterday- at Kogarah, in the rain, against that team. His issue will be adapting that game plan when smarter opposition begin to combat it. And consistency.

And most of all, his low bar for success the culture it brings. Despite the good win, his bat is winning 50% and it's not good enough.
There you go again calling people idiots.....

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Gotta be a massive confidence boost going into the season absolutely belting the premiership favourites. Could be the catalyst we've lacked?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I agree lets not get ahead of ourselves ATM. We scored 7 tries yesterday against an opposition that looked to me unfit and not mentally prepared or just expected to win given the hype surrounding them for season 2017.
So the important thing IMO is to see if those 7 tries would have been scored against "other" opposition.
1. Thompson try: probably
2. Thompson try: probably
3. DeBelin try: probably not - a switched on defensive unit would have shut Jack down before he got to the line.
4. Widdop try: probably not - whilst it was a rehearsed play, 9/10 it doesn't come off
5. McInnes try: probably not - Dugan should have been shut down by Cartwright and then grubber, regather and then pass! Just luck.
6. Widdop try: probably not - Panthers push passing. Yeah the game was lost but....
7. Thompson try: probably

I think 18-10 in more indicative of our win and whilst we all will take the 42 points scored, lets see uf we can get the same rub of the green each week. Teams make their own luck and we got a few good breaks yesterday.
I will have a good look at the Eels game today and see where they are.
Also, very happy with our 3 new boys, McInnis, McDonald and Vaughan.
McCrone did some nice things but also did some dumb things.
Aitken was strong but again got caught out in defense which lead to the Panthers 2nd try.
Dugan played his best game for a long time. I hope we re-sign him if he plays like that each week.
Finally, I hope rheir sitting down with Packer and re-signing him. He's a leader and inspiring type we need in our club going forward.

MilanDragon

Juniors
I agree lets not get ahead of ourselves ATM. We scored 7 tries yesterday against an opposition that looked to me unfit and not mentally prepared or just expected to win given the hype surrounding them for season 2017.
So the important thing IMO is to see if those 7 tries would have been scored against "other" opposition.
3. DeBelin try: probably not - a switched on defensive unit would have shut Jack down before he got to the line.
4. Widdop try: probably not - whilst it was a rehearsed play, 9/10 it doesn't come off
5. McInnes try: probably not - Dugan should have been shut down by Cartwright and then grubber, regather and then pass! Just luck.
6. Widdop try: probably not - Panthers push passing. Yeah the game was lost but....

I think 18-10 in more indicative of our win and whilst we all will take the 42 points scored, lets see uf we can get the same rub of the green each week. Teams make their own luck and we got a few good breaks yesterday.
Aitken was strong but again got caught out in defense which lead to the Panthers 2nd try.
Dugan played his best game for a long time. I hope we re-sign him if he plays like that each week.
Finally, I hope rheir sitting down with Packer and re-signing him. He's a leader and inspiring type we need in our club going forward.

I can see where you're coming from. But if we analyse every game and we could find a few tries per game that 'probably shouldn't' have been scored against 'other' teams. For example the Cowboys winking in Golden Point, now that is a try that probably wouldn't be scored against another team, therefore by your theory that game ended in a 16-16 draw.

But yes we need to find a way to consistently score 'probability' tries against all opposition and hopefully this game lays a foundation for that by 'freeing' up our attack, like Mary said to play what's in front of them. Even he admitted in his press conference we were too rigid last year.

Smoove_Saint

Juniors
Strange way if looking at the points we scored, kinda like saying any try in a game should never happen ? Take it then Cowboys last try was a set piece because they are that good?

Crush

Coach

Geez Dragonslayer, you are harsh!
You've taken our 42-10 win down to 18-10! At least Thompson would be happy, you awarded all of his and took everyone else's off them! ;)

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Geez Dragonslayer, you are harsh!
You've taken our 42-10 win down to 18-10! At least Thompson would be happy, you awarded all of his and took everyone else's off them! ;)

As the title of the thread says....lets not get ahead of ourselves....and thats what I've attempted to do. No way am I devaluing our score line or our win, however, my point is would those tries that I have not given be scored say in round 10? Some may say yes and some no.
The issue here is wether we "expect" it to happen or is this just a one off.
I hope we play like yrstetday on a consistant basis for the entire season but expecting that the miracle play will happen each week is really "getting ahead of ourselves" IMO.

BrissyRedV

Bench

Enjoy the win mate and don't think too much into it. It was a good win and hopefully they can play similarly all season.

Belta

Juniors
One glaring factor that came out of that game was the defence of Matt Moylan, it was atrocious, players just ran straight past him...always been a fan but I'm glad he was wearing a Panthers jersey yesterday

BrissyRedV

Bench
I was actually quite surprised as to how terrible the panther were yesterday.
The Dragons of last year would have stuffed it up giving them two points.

Ti Les Re?
The beauty of it was, the team put the pressure on and kept their foot on the Panthers throat all game. The Panthers weren't allowed breathing space with the aggression and enthusiasm the team showed. It was great to finally see that from our team.

Gareth67

First Grade
The beauty of it was, the team put the pressure on and kept their foot on the Panthers throat all game. The Panthers weren't allowed breathing space with the aggression and enthusiasm the team showed. It was great to finally see that from our team.

Agree BrissyRedV , the Dragons kept the pressure on . Some on the Panthers forum ( just having a bit of a sticky beak ) say that their team ' gifted ' the Dragons with the two points ! Our boys were the better team , by a Phar Lap , on the day and that was why we have those points .
Now , that the hangovers have worn off (?) and in the harsh cold light of day , I am sure that most of us realise that although the team played well yesterday , there is a lot of improvement to come , before we can even consider comparing ourselves with the top teams .
Consistency and more consistency is what the Dragons now require . But with that one win , that shall , at the very least , give the team the knowledge that they are indeed capable , of performing far better than last season .

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
There is no chance in the world that this team will fall to the depths of last years despair - no chance!! not now that they have smelt their potential - the forwards at a minimum will drag this team through thick and thin...the aggro attitude that Frizzell, JDB, Thompson, Packer, Vaughan, Simms demonstrate is breathtaking - its much similar to what the Sharks pack demonstrated last year - its a steely attitude thats hard to knock it out of someone once instilled - don't get me wrong there will be games we will lose but let me tell you it won't be because we were out muscled - maybe outplayed by a better football team and there are quite a few very good teams that can play great attacking football (Roosters, Cowboys, Raiders, Sharks)..I think we have the measure of the other teams ..

Bench
It is a great start to the season and based on that performance we we will quite a few games, but as in every sport we are going to lose games.
If they show the same determintion and lose, it won't be the end of the world.
We will meet stiffer opposition when we play the Broncos and the Storm, those games will be the test that determines whether we are final eight or even final four.
This years team has started something and with Hunt coming I see us being strong contenders for premierships for at least 3-4 years.
I have not mentioned the coaching situation, that is going to be the fox in the chicken for us.

ALSGI

Bench
It is a great start to the season and based on that performance we we will quite a few games, but as in every sport we are going to lose games.
If they show the same determintion and lose, it won't be the end of the world.
We will meet stiffer opposition when we play the Broncos and the Storm, those games will be the test that determines whether we are final eight or even final four.
This years team has started something and with Hunt coming I see us being strong contenders for premierships for at least 3-4 years.
I have not mentioned the coaching situation, that is going to be the fox in the chicken for us.
Isn't it great that we're seeing posts on here about final 8 and final 4 !!!
And the boys showed yesterday that it's not just wishful thinking but within their capabilities.
A week to truly enjoy, hopefully more to come. Took some extra time on the Dragons rego plates today when washing the car !!

Old Timer

Coach
Gotta be a massive confidence boost going into the season absolutely belting the premiership favourites. Could be the catalyst we've lacked?
JB
I thought it was great result yesterday but am having real trouble understanding how Penrith ever ended up as the 2017 premiership favourites.
The commentators / experts love talking it up but I had Raiders, Storm, Cowboys well in front of them and believe our tests are yet to come.
Even the free flowing game of the defensively poor Tigpies will be a real challenge for us.
Anyway as I said in other posts great work and I am looking forward to further improvement and the ability to being able to adjust to the opposition as they will all present something different for us to contend with.

Latest posts