What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 RLWC - A - W2 - AUS 52-6 FRA @ Canberra

Result: AUS v FRA

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arucard

Juniors
Be nice if we could have some close games this tournament.
Crazy amount of blowouts this time round.
Everyone going backwards or what?!

jim_57

Staff member
Catalan dont help things. There are plenty of good young French guys coming through but half the team is made up of English and Aussies. The French guys dont get the shots they deserve. The French Youth team beat the England Academy a couple of weeks back too and always seem to give them a game so the talent is definitely coming through the ranks.

Here lies the problem. At Under 18 level France mix it with the best. It is between then and 23 after spending 5 years struggling to get through the log jam and wasting away in Catalans reserves where the potential is lost. The more players that try their luck elsewhere the better.

King hit

Coach
It was just way to easy for Australia in the second half. Graham has to be man of the match.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I remember when France gave Australia a scare 10 to 15 years ago. Now they aren't even close. Has French rugby league gone backwards, even with the addition of Tolouse and Catalans?

Serious question? Yes, way behind in the professional era.

jim_57

Staff member
Be nice if we could have some close games this tournament.
Crazy amount of blowouts this time round.
Everyone going backwards or what?!

Australia flogging France isn't new.

I think the main difference is now Fiji, PNG, Samoa and Tonga have really stepped up their game even the super pool concept can't protect lower tier 2 teams. We want nations to catch up to the big 3 but when a few do people complain that they are smashing weaker teams not just Australia.

In saying that Wales, France and Scotland all came missing a host of first teamers and USA went with homegrown over heritage.

Pedge1971

First Grade
100% but the score would look different with 12 of those missing players, fairly certain it was 12?

The Albert 12? Maybe, but it would have still been a 30 plus margin. I think the size alone was a big factor. Just hard to compete with full time pro's.

But to your point, Lebanon v France was the most enjoyable game of the WC.

Light on wrestling, heavy on pure RL.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
What, no heart
The French? Yes.

Historically, the French can't stand a direct face to face confrontation whether it be sport, military conflict or whatever.

They prefer to do their dirty work covertly and behind your back. Remember the Rainbow Warrior?

For the record, my surname is of French descent and I can't stand the merkins.

AJB1102

First Grade
Mansour already showing he is better than Holmes

Not trying to be a Captain Hindsight wanker here mate but when all was said and done Josh played 80 minutes, had 13 runs at an average 10.7m, made 5 tackles (0 missed). Val played 10 minutes, had 3 runs at an average 12.7m, made 3 tackles (0 missed), 1 line break, 1 try.

TimmyB

Juniors
Serious question? Yes, way behind in the professional era.
That's the point though - 15 years ago Australia was already professional and France had no professional teams. Now they have a full time pro team and a semi pro team and they have slipped further behind.

Pedge1971

First Grade
1 full time pro team in 15 years? Aust systems have advanced to the point where there are another additional 300+ full time pros on top of the nrl 1st grade since then and France has say 20 max guys playing ESL?

Also the strides fwd in the last 15 years in Aus in terms of coaching, fitness and technical aspects of the game have gone massively ahead (to its detriment in my opinion).

Wrestling and winning the ruck has become paramount and his is somethinf the French could not hope to keep pace with given their current situation. NRL is almost a different game and it saddens me because it is overcoached.

This WC has been a joy to watch.