What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F.O Andrew Webster

I think playing SJ injured and not training with the team is a tough spot to be in. Archiles won't heal quickly as tendons don't have the blood flow that muscles do, so 2-4 weeks off will improve things like a strained muscle but it won't be fixed and will be reaggravated easily.

nswarrior

Juniors
Last 2 games have been very disappointing but Webster has done a great job although there are a couple of things that don’t make sense

- bench use
- at least contest the high kick once in a while

But we have so many injuries and everyone seems to forget about those.

I am still hopeful we get on a bit of a run soon starting with Newcastle

Does the positive starts and fading indicate fitness issues?
When you get fatigued you make poor decisions. The ball we had in the final 15 mins and poor attacking structure has me starting to wonder, how it can look so good in first 15 and shit in final 15.

Blair

Coach
Does the positive starts and fading indicate fitness issues?
When you get fatigued you make poor decisions. The ball we had in the final 15 mins and poor attacking structure has me starting to wonder, how it can look so good in first 15 and shit in final 15.
One positive about 'Kearneyball' is that we completed a lot of sets. Under Webster we're making errors, lately that is.

If we'd had that high, Kearney-era, completion rate on Anzac Day we would've won, wouldn't we?

One positive about 'Kearneyball' is that we completed a lot of sets. Under Webster we're making errors, lately that is.

If we'd had that high, Kearney-era, completion rate on Anzac Day we would've won, wouldn't we?
We had 5 sets back to back and came away with no points in final 15mins.
Attack look disorganised, so SJ not training with team didn't help, but started to suspect fitness a little.
Also attitude in defense to do the hard things after the mistakes and penalties.

Just found a fox website with stats
Was trying to look into the previously mentions opposition tackle inside the 20m and tries.

We have tackled opposition in our 20m 147 times and let in 27 tries. So opposition score every 5.44 tackles inside our 20m.

We have been tackled in opposition 20m 253 times and scored 28 tries. So score every 9.03 tackles.

Problem with the stat is it doesn't allow for breakaway tries outside of the 20m.

But it is not a good stat for us.

Current best defensive team Sharks have ever 1 try every 11 tackles inside the 20m.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Just found a fox website with stats
Was trying to look into the previously mentions opposition tackle inside the 20m and tries.

We have tackled opposition in our 20m 147 times and let in 27 tries. So opposition score every 5.44 tackles inside our 20m.

We have been tackled in opposition 20m 253 times and scored 28 tries. So score every 9.03 tackles.

Problem with the stat is it doesn't allow for breakaway tries outside of the 20m.

But it is not a good stat for us.

Current best defensive team Sharks have ever 1 try every 11 tackles inside the 20m.
Wow, that seems really shithouse. Doubt it's an attitude thing, must be our structure and combinations? Which to be fair, have changed a bit this year.

Big Marn

Juniors
Not really. But gee, his bench management is a joke. Pompey sat on the bench all game? Zion in those conditions was going to be useful. Dont understand his thinking.

nswarrior

Juniors
Webster hasn’t been able to adjust. Teams have figured out our attack near their line and Webbie has no variation

it would be good to challenge an occasional bomb.

Webbie is still better than what we have had before. Atleast we aren’t getting thrashed and are competing in most of the games.

Matiunz

Juniors
I’m just perplexed by the complete 180 on our resilience,defence and discipline it just makes zero sense how it can unravel so quickly

vvvrulz

Coach
I thought we didn’t defend too badly today, but good lord our discipline was shocking.

That’s on the boys, not Webby.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I thought we didn’t defend too badly today, but good lord our discipline was shocking.

That’s on the boys, not Webby.

Our discipline has been poor throughout his tenure. Digging ourselves a hole but still winning through ‘resilience’ was our trademark last year.

vvvrulz

Coach
Disagree, we completed our sets well last year. The game plan doesn’t really work if we don’t, which is what the last few weeks have been.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Disagree, we completed our sets well last year. The game plan doesn’t really work if we don’t, which is what the last few weeks have been.

I wasn’t basing this on stats, but the official stats sort of support both points of view in a way…our completion rate has been generally good under Webster, but better this year. Penalties conceded we are about average, but much better this year.

Doesn’t support my theory that we are generally ill-disciplined under Webster, but does support the theory that we were worse last year but had better results.

Matua

Bench
Two weeks in a row we've had nothing in their 20. Our only plan when the weathers not good so we can't kick to DWZ's wing is to give it to Fonua Blake and hope he barrels over.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah...I'm not a league guy and I dunno what exactly is going wrong, what needs to improve. But man, it's just gone to shit. We seem so horribly predictable, and we're doing the same shit we did four weeks ago that didn't work. And I love the Webby, but his bench management seems absolutely hideous.

Meth

Staff member
And I love the Webby, but his bench management seems absolutely hideous.

Yeah another week with an interchange player who doesn't play. And we're missing plenty of players that would get minutes, perhaps...but yeah, he's hardly a SuperCoach when it comes to using a bench.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah another week with an interchange player who doesn't play. And we're missing plenty of players that would get minutes, perhaps...but yeah, he's hardly a SuperCoach when it comes to using a bench.
Again, league and the use of the bench isn't something I know a lick about. But is it that Pompey is purely there for injury - like it was in the 80s - and Webster doesn't believe any other player in our squad can offer any impact? Capewell didn't play the last 55 minutes so we're a back-rower down, but Ale plays 16 minutes, Pompey plays none. Huge minutes for AFB and Barnett, can't imagine that gets the best out of them in a wet, physical game...and it's going to be a long season for those guys if they're having to carry us, right?

Webster is definitely learning at the school of hard knocks at the moment. We've gone from looking like a well coached team to a well publicised, media friendly team that doesn't look at all well coached.