What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Challenge

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Because Melbourne won't fly to the England

Dont clubs get payments depending on where they finish??

Make the WCC a part of the deal for te premiers to get their cut.

And play it in sone burgioning Asian/European/african/american location.

Not in Melbourne where it will be LESS important that a regular club game

The_Shield

Juniors
Everyone going on about the crowds in Melbourne, correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Melbourne average better crowd figures then most, if not all, Sydney teams during the season and even in the finals

Vee

First Grade
Pfft, why in melbourne?

Send it to one of the expansion locations (Canada/France/Serbia/anywhere).

The format is perfect for some world touring; "The 2 best clubs in the world compete for supremicy" and its in the off season so no backing up next week.

Why are we so focused in sending regular RL games outside Australia when this game already has one team flying across the world?
Because Melbourne won't travel.
Dont clubs get payments depending on where they finish??

Make the WCC a part of the deal for te premiers to get their cut.
An interesting idea.

Who gives a f**k about this circus?

Gimme the real footy anytime. Like the testimonial between the 2 smug merkins where a portion of the receipts will be given to charity.

58c.png

Valheru

Coach
It’s a bit an outlier crowd though. You would have to assume that a fair chunk of the crowd were neutral fans there to watch the English side go around. It’s not necessarily an indication that the crowd was pro-rooster.

That would be the wrong assumption.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
I don't doubt that for a second, however if they want it to grow and be taken seriously they need to grow the brand and the prestige of the event down here as well as up there, and that might mean that they have to take some losses in the process.
Playing the games in the same handful of small stadiums in England year on year doesn't grow awareness of the game or grow the prestige of the game down here, and that's where it's most important at the moment if they want the WCC/WCS to be a success.
If the English were really serious about making this an big event (and not just a exhibition game/money grab) they would realise that the NRL clubs don't see the value in it and aren't going to actively support it, and that they have to make it work by themselves, and put simply, the way they're going about it it's never going to be taken seriously in Australia.

Lol, was it really surprising that they lost last year considering that, for example, the Sharks preparation for the game was to go on tours of London, Barcelona, and Paris.
As soon as I saw that they were doing that I knew that the game would be a forgone conclusion.

You're kidding yourself if you truly think that on average the NRL clubs treat the WCC seriously, there're admittedly exceptions to the rule (Cowboys), but the vast majority of them treat it as a bonding exercise/holiday for the squad and a paycheck.

Yeah bloody poms. Not inspiring us NRL players with our gazillion dollar tv deal and salary cap

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah bloody poms. Not inspiring us NRL players with our gazillion dollar tv deal and salary cap

It's a pretty bloody simple equation, "bloody poms" want event the majority of Aussies don't, so if poms wan't it to go ahead they can't expect help from Aussies who don't care and they have to make it worth the Aussies while, and if they want it to be successful in the long term they need to make the Aussies want it.

The SL clubs and RFL can't expect to shame the NRL clubs into playing it with the 'it's for the good of the game' 'they don't care about growing the game' shit forever (seriously how does the WCC grow the game in any substantial way anyway?, cause I haven't seen it grow anything and can't see how it does), eventually the NRL clubs are just going to say 'f##k it we don't care about you shaming us anymore', so if you want it to go ahead and want it to be successful you have to make it a money maker for the NRL as well and that means growing the brand down here.

Seriously tell me what I said in that post that was wrong, cause I can't see anything unreasonable in it.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
It's a pretty bloody simple equation, "bloody poms" want event the majority of Aussies don't, so if poms wan't it to go ahead they can't expect help from Aussies who don't care and they have to make it worth the Aussies while, and if they want it to be successful in the long term they need to make the Aussies want it.

The SL clubs and RFL can't expect to shame the NRL clubs into playing it with the 'it's for the good of the game' 'they don't care about growing the game' shit forever (seriously how does the WCC grow the game in any substantial way anyway?, cause I haven't seen it grow anything and can't see how it does), eventually the NRL clubs are just going to say 'f##k it we don't care about you shaming us anymore', so if you want it to go ahead and want it to be successful you have to make it a money maker for the NRL as well and that means growing the brand down here.

Seriously tell me what I said in that post that was wrong, cause I can't see anything unreasonable in it.

You think the rationale for this concept is to make NRL clubs more money?

The Great Dane

First Grade
You think the rationale for this concept is to make NRL clubs more money?

No, however I do think that the NRL clubs aren't going to take it seriously or be interested in it unless it does make them more money, and that the only way that it's going to make them more money is if the WCCs' brand and prestige is grown down here, and to do that it's going to have to be played down here often and that since it doesn't make the NRL clubs money and they aren't interested in it the RFL and SL clubs are going to have to produce it and grow it down here (as well as in England) by themselves if they want the fixture to continue and to grow into the future.

I notice that you didn't answer any of my questions by the way.

Latest posts