What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Samoa

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
are they the biggest disappointment in this World Cup ? I think so, stacked full of nrl stars, but they look poorly coached, they look overweight, lazy and directionless. I expected much more from this team. I think the best half in the whole tournament from Samoa was the first half against Nz , they seem to be getting worse as this comp goes on.

Rory

Juniors
I thought you thought scotland, wales and france were the most disappointing? Look who cares injuries happens to teams. They've got plenty of world cups ahead to do well. They shouldn't even fkn be there anyway, Ireland should be!

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
I thought you thought scotland, wales and france were the most disappointing? Look who cares injuries happens to teams. They've got plenty of world cups ahead to do well. They shouldn't even fkn be there anyway, Ireland should be!
Actually I never stated wales Scotland and France were disappointing , I said wales and Scotland were real bad and that France wouldn’t win a game, which I was right about. Samoa should be doing much better even with this team. Injuries pfff they have a full team of nrl stars.

Springs09

Juniors
The island teams always play like this when without halves or a good coach. Tonga did the same in the last World Cup. They have no direction or motivation. Without good spine players yelling at them all game they fall to bits. It's the same in the NRL.

As I've said, Samoa had 10+ players out. If that's the excuse for France, Wales and Scotland then Samoa can use it too. They have a rubbish coach and first grade spine players such as Milford and Pritchard out.

latingringo101

Juniors
Bit of a disappointment Samoa this tournament. Thought they would have put in a better performance against teams like Scotland and give kiwis a run for their money, but no luck this tournament

Force

Juniors
Sad to say, Samoa have been poor. With a full strength team like that of Tonga they would've done a lot better. Probably the only positive notes are Samoa made the quarters and they didnt suck as bad as Wales or Scotland.

Samoa this year is a warning about investing in hyperbole over fleeting success by heritage teams. And Scotland too. The 4N in which Samoa performed quite well and last year's when Scotland were competitive raised expectations and misleadingly suggested these tier two teams were ready to be competitive regularly.

This year Tonga is the team everyone is getting carried away with. But if they don't keep all their heritage players they are just as capable of dropping back to being only modestly competitive.

The only sustainable means of making second tier nations competitive with the big three on a regular basis is to help them keep their best players long term or, better still, develop home grown players of increasing quality. That's why PNG, France and Fiji are still the best prospects of joining the big three in the future.

Burns

First Grade
ECT is spot on. Samoa were on the cusp of beating NZ in 2014, pushed England and were decent against Australia. They had a raft of players available then who were absent by injury or other country this year.

If JT and Fifita etc don’t back up for Tonga next year, they are a very B Tier team.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
ECT is spot on. Samoa were on the cusp of beating NZ in 2014, pushed England and were decent against Australia. They had a raft of players available then who were absent by injury or other country this year.

If JT and Fifita etc don’t back up for Tonga next year, they are a very B Tier team.
Agreed so the likes of France, and Fiji are still the best option moving forward

hutch

First Grade
Agreed. Tonga were ranked 11th in the world before this tournament based on all their previous poor results. The key is continuing on and building from this World Cup for all nations. This rarely happens in rugby league.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Wow, is it still used? Hopefully it's done a bit better than back in the 80s and 90s when I was nursing.
Still is mate. The medical profession has toned it down a bit with the intensity of the electric current.

But it's still used when medication isn't effective as in my girl's case with severe psychosis and schizophrenia as you would know.

She's had over 60 treatments now since May last year but this has f**k all to do with Samoa.

Cheers buddy!

Rory

Juniors
NZ are the most disappointing surely. A team apart of the big 3 loses to 2, tier 2 nations.

Force

Juniors
Samoa this year is a warning about investing in hyperbole over fleeting success by heritage teams. And Scotland too. The 4N in which Samoa performed quite well and last year's when Scotland were competitive raised expectations and misleadingly suggested these tier two teams were ready to be competitive regularly.

This year Tonga is the team everyone is getting carried away with. But if they don't keep all their heritage players they are just as capable of dropping back to being only modestly competitive.

The only sustainable means of making second tier nations competitive with the big three on a regular basis is to help them keep their best players long term or, better still, develop home grown players of increasing quality. That's why PNG, France and Fiji are still the best prospects of joining the big three in the future.
You can pretty much say the same thing for all teams bar Australia. If they are missing their top players, then they wont perform as well. Australia is the only team who could handle injuries or defections to key players and still come out on top given the depth they have, every other team would look ordinary.

Im not sold on France, for some reason they always seem to disappoint. You would think they would be up there by now but they always find a way to fail. PNG can replace like-with-like (without sounding too condescending) they dont have many top players so they wouldn't miss much if they were unavailable.

Stallion

First Grade
You can pretty much say the same thing for all teams bar Australia. If they are missing their top players, then they wont perform as well. Australia is the only team who could handle injuries or defections to key players and still come out on top given the depth they have, every other team would look ordinary.

Im not sold on France, for some reason they always seem to disappoint. You would think they would be up there by now but they always find a way to fail. PNG can replace like-with-like (without sounding too condescending) they dont have many top players so they wouldn't miss much if they were unavailable.

French rugby league need a fair go in France itself. Its been doing it tough in various aspects for decades. The code has not got 'friends in high places ' like other rival codes. Hope things come good for a more than deserving football code in rugby-league sometime soon.

Latest posts