What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific giant killers!

Rory

Juniors
That doesn't really happen any more, they got flogged by amateur teams and it was mostly a pointless exercise.

The thing is that amateur domestic RL is largely irrelevant to what we see in a World Cup. Again, how many of the Fiji or Tonga teams are products of the domestic Fiji or Tonga RL? If we're talking about the number of home grown players who have been brought through the domestic system then Wales would flog all the Pacific nations and France would probably beat NZ. In Europe we have 25+ nations playing the sport but it's at a low amateur level and none of them have the money or resources to move past that. Until there is some type of breakthrough in terms of investment or whatever then it will never translate to results on a world stage.

The only real difference is that League simply isnt as popular (for e.g.) Ireland. If us Irish people played out rugby union like we play our league, we'd be on a different level.

Rory

Juniors
No. Why should they? They are an Australian sporting league. Its like asking about EUFA supporting Fiji to making the soccer world cup.

So your contradicting yourself? Your saying the NRL shoudnt care about Pacific Islands league? "Its an Australian sporting league"?

Evil Homer

Staff member
The only real difference is that League simply isnt as popular (for e.g.) Ireland. If us Irish people played out rugby union like we play our league, we'd be on a different level.
Yeah what I'm saying is we need professional pathways for nations to progress. Relative to the size of their league Ireland gets a decent amount of players signed up by semi-pro clubs in the UK, but it's never going be more than a trickle unless there is some sort of professional club or pathway in Ireland and elsewhere to really bring through players of a high standard.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
OMG! Well done Fiji - fully deserved.

I can't help thinking though that NZ bombing out is bad for the game as a whole. The game needs a strong Kiwi team. They are our third biggest market and have much more potential commercially than the islands. Kidwell needs to go ASAP and NZRL needs to be restored. This result is bad for semi-final ticket sales in Brisbane too. Australia woild have lapped both sides today.

I'm taking nothing nothing away from Fiji though. They showed great heart and effort and fully deserve it. I'm just frustrated with the Kiwis - they and the Warriors are really hurting the game in NZ in the last few years.

siv

First Grade
What I like use as a measure is points differential

About every 10 points difference corresponds to about 1 player not being up to standard of the opposition

In most cases its fitness and defensive training that is the main issue

Thats why teams want to play in the ESL NSW Cup or QLD Cup

But the best ways to grow the game were actually best done soon after WWI and WWII

Eg Bush Week carnivals and Regional tours

Where ex-players would be encouraged to become captain-coaches

But coaching followed up by regular matches against better opposition

siv

First Grade
Fijis win was huge

They are big humans across the park

And if it wasnt for some tough calls Lebanon could have been there after having 2 disallowed tries

Rory

Juniors
Yeah what I'm saying is we need professional pathways for nations to progress. Relative to the size of their league Ireland gets a decent amount of players signed up by semi-pro clubs in the UK, but it's never going be more than a trickle unless there is some sort of professional club or pathway in Ireland and elsewhere to really bring through players of a high standard.

I read an article quoting from Liam Finn saying that Ireland need a Dublin team. Then people will start to take notice. But yes, thats basically the same problem with the Welsh. A lot of talented youngsters with no where to go.

cleary89

Coach
So your contradicting yourself? Your saying the NRL shoudnt care about Pacific Islands league? "Its an Australian sporting league"?

I was being sarcastic before. I thought it was obvious. NRL shouldn't, RLIF should.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Its not bad having the giants who mostly win (EPL and La Liga have the same 2 teams as favourites every year)....

All we need is that LITTLE bit of tension in the qualifiers and the occasional upset.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I was being sarcastic before. I thought it was obvious. NRL shouldn't, RLIF should.

Its like saying the NRL shouldnt worry about WA because they are an East Coast comp. They dont NEED to do anything, but they probably should...

RL comps fro the last 100 years have been all about expending, i dont know why we would stop now.

ARLC can act as an overarch body for the Asia-Pacific and they could be the ones offering decent match payments for all of the Asia-Pacific nations.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Very true, but what about the euro teams? Europe losing interest in the world cup because of all pacific sides in finals.
Last WC's they (Europeans sides) were pretty competitive, Ireland were pretty good but in all fairness to the Pacific nations (notably Fiji, PNG, Tonga) they were far deserving of it.
When you give the island teams there best players no one can really stop them on there day... The new eligibility law just saved international rugby league... International rugby league needs to invest in the Pacific Nations! Or else were gonna be stuck with the boring 3 nations competing every year
In terms of investments, the rewards should go to the most proactive sides in development so Fiji, PNG, Tonga, Samoa and the Cook Islands. Like I've mentioned a Pacific 6 Nations is a MUST!! it gives them a chance to come up against the best teams and a regular chance to represent their heritage. They can only get better.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I read an article quoting from Liam Finn saying that Ireland need a Dublin team. Then people will start to take notice. But yes, thats basically the same problem with the Welsh. A lot of talented youngsters with no where to go.

Don’t they go to Warrington traditionally?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
OMG! Well done Fiji - fully deserved.

I can't help thinking though that NZ bombing out is bad for the game as a whole. The game needs a strong Kiwi team. They are our third biggest market and have much more potential commercially than the islands. Kidwell needs to go ASAP and NZRL needs to be restored. This result is bad for semi-final ticket sales in Brisbane too. Australia woild have lapped both sides today.

I'm taking nothing nothing away from Fiji though. They showed great heart and effort and fully deserve it. I'm just frustrated with the Kiwis - they and the Warriors are really hurting the game in NZ in the last few years.

Dont worry, NZ will bounce back in next year.

Their failure this years has probably been the best thing international RL could have asked for; two 2nd tier nations knocking of one of the Big 3.

Evil Homer

Staff member
In terms of investments, the rewards should go to the most proactive sides in development so Fiji, PNG, Tonga, Samoa and the Cook Islands. Like I've mentioned a Pacific 6 Nations is a MUST!! it gives them a chance to come up against the best teams and a regular chance to represent their heritage. They can only get better.
In what way are those nations the most proactive in development? Because they have a load of NRL players who learned the game overseas? Not criticizing them for this BTW as these are tiny places where domestic potential will always be comparatively small, but how many players in the WC have been developed by Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and Cook Islands? I think the answer is one between the four of them, a fringe bloke in the Fiji squad who hasn't got a run. Again it's not a criticism, they can succeed in other ways but trying to claim that these nations are doing more development than the others is just wrong.

DC80

Juniors
Why can’t they get the tv deals? Because the super league is falling behind, obsessed with signing washed up Aussies and kiwis lol, or second rate players instead of putting the money into coaching and professional behaviours off the field to produce the best home grown.
Are you really Irish? I'm assuming you have never been over here (I'm from Liverpool, England). NRL and Super League are incomparable. There are many ways I could show the difference, but I will use one. Outside the towns (and Leeds and Hull) that the Rugby league players here play for, they could walk down any high street in the U.K. and virtually no-one would know who they are. Sam Tomkins spoke about this. It's a culture shock to the top players who move to the NRL and become recognised in Sydney for example. Go a few miles outside Rugby league towns like Widnes and you enter an area where the sport basically doesn't exist. The big cities in the north of England like Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield? Forget it. And it's in the north of England where all the English Super League teams are located.

There is not one Rugby league player here who is a household name. The last time there was was probably Martin Offiah over two decades ago when Rugby league was on the BBC's Grandstand, but he'd largely be forgotten now. I'd guess if you asked the man on the street to name a Rugby player it would be Jonny Wilkinson due to his winning kick at the 2003 RUWC, a player who is retired. While Rugby Union has a profile at international level here with the Six Nations and Autumn internationals, it too wouldn't have a current player that the general public would have heard of.

In terms of team sports the Premier League gobbles up most of the sporting landscape. TV coverage is swamped with it. Sky Sports News lasts one hour, a good 40 minutes plus will be PL, lower league football, football internationals. Talksport radio station is wall to wall football. It's the only team sport that would have household names. Following them would be individual sports, tennis players, boxers, golfers, and lately, cyclists.

Sports viewers here generally don't follow more than one team sport. I was different in that Liverpool are my PL team and St Helens are my Super League team. Everyone in my class knew pretty much every Liverpool player, but I was the only one who knew Sean Long for example.

It's totally unfair to expect Super League to be anything close to NRL. £250 million over five years is actually a decent deal for the size of the league. Crowds average 8.5k which is between the 3rd and 4th tier of English football. Sponsors also tend to be northern. The sport actually does pretty well just to stay professional.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Are you really Irish? I'm assuming you have never been over here (I'm from Liverpool, England). NRL and Super League are incomparable. There are many ways I could show the difference, but I will use one. Outside the towns (and Leeds and Hull) that the Rugby league players here play for, they could walk down any high street in the U.K. and virtually no-one would know who they are. Sam Tomkins spoke about this. It's a culture shock to the top players who move to the NRL and become recognised in Sydney for example. Go a few miles outside Rugby league towns like Widnes and you enter an area where the sport basically doesn't exist. The big cities in the north of England like Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield? Forget it. And it's in the north of England where all the English Super League teams are located.

There is not one Rugby league player here who is a household name. The last time there was was probably Martin Offiah over two decades ago when Rugby league was on the BBC's Grandstand, but he'd largely be forgotten now. I'd guess if you asked the man on the street to name a Rugby player it would be Jonny Wilkinson due to his winning kick at the 2003 RUWC, a player who is retired. While Rugby Union has a profile at international level here with the Six Nations and Autumn internationals, it too wouldn't have a current player that the general public would have heard of.

In terms of team sports the Premier League gobbles up most of the sporting landscape. TV coverage is swamped with it. Sky Sports News lasts one hour, a good 40 minutes plus will be PL, lower league football, football internationals. Talksport radio station is wall to wall football. It's the only team sport that would have household names. Following them would be individual sports, tennis players, boxers, golfers, and lately, cyclists.

Sports viewers here generally don't follow more than one team sport. I was different in that Liverpool are my PL team and St Helens are my Super League team. Everyone in my class knew pretty much every Liverpool player, but I was the only one who knew Sean Long for example.

It's totally unfair to expect Super League to be anything close to NRL. £250 million over five years is actually a decent deal for the size of the league. Crowds average 8.5k which is between the 3rd and 4th tier of English football. Sponsors also tend to be northern. The sport actually does pretty well just to stay professional.
Appreciate the effort that went into that post. My father was Irish, and yes I’ve been to Ireland, London and Newcastle, but I’ve never lived in England or Ireland. I understand the EPL rules all and union has a powerfull stranglehold. Australia does have union and AFL to deal with, League is only really played in 2 states here also. I understand afl isn’t the beast that the EPL is. But to me the ESL needs work.

The ESL needs to admit it has massive issues, I really don’t understand why they keep handing out big retirement pay checks to washed up Australians ? Do they really think it improves the standard ?. Wasted money. To me they seem happy with surviving and taking it to the next level I guess. Of course I don’t know the in’s and outs, something needs to change in Europe or the nrl and the south will continue to leap light years ahead.

Evil Homer

Staff member
The ESL needs to admit it has massive issues, I really don’t understand why they keep handing out big retirement pay checks to washed up Australians ?
Except they don't, did Phil Gould tell you they do that? Pretty obvious from your posts in general that you've never watched ESL and don't know anything about it. And with due respect you cannot possibly even come close to being able to understand how the situation is here.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Except they don't, did Phil Gould tell you they do that? Pretty obvious from your posts in general that you've never watched ESL and don't know anything about it. And with due respect you cannot possibly even come close to being able to understand how the situation is here.
All good mate, I’ll admit I do watch some games, but it’s not week in week out. As I said my opinion is only from the outside looking in. I actually want a strong powerful ESL.

To be fair I could rattle off a heap of washed up Australians on big money in the ESL

Rory

Juniors
All good mate, I’ll admit I do watch some games, but it’s not week in week out. As I said my opinion is only from the outside looking in. I actually want a strong powerful ESL.

To be fair I could rattle off a heap of washed up Australians on big money in the ESL

I