What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

morningstar

Juniors
2008 sold out, 2017 likely wont, therefore pricing is wrong. Even if you accept the game doesn't hold the same interest as it did in 2008, the pricing should reflect that. Either it's too expensive for what people expect to pay and tickets should therefore be cheaper, or people don't really care about the game and tickets should therefore be cheaper.

2008 was not a sell out.

How could the game possibly have less interest than 2008? Do you remember that tournament and the state of international RL back then?

This WC has everything going for it in comparison. The most successful and profitable world cup of all time in 2013, fixtures announced nearly 2 years before, a full time organizing committee, a mostly friendly media coverage, all games live on free to air, the kiwis emerging as genuine competition to the Kangaroos in the intervening years,, PI squads densely populated by NRL players, the majority of the England team being known NRL players etc. etc.

Stallion

First Grade
2008 was not a sell out.

How could the game possibly have less interest than 2008? Do you remember that tournament and the state of international RL back then?

This WC has everything going for it in comparison. The most successful and profitable world cup of all time in 2013, fixtures announced nearly 2 years before, a full time organizing committee, a mostly friendly media coverage, all games live on free to air, the kiwis emerging as genuine competition to the Kangaroos in the intervening years,, PI squads densely populated by NRL players, the majority of the England team being known NRL players etc. etc.

Yes. 2008 was not a sellout. I was there and recall mentioning that it was embarassing for rugby league to my mate. EVEN back then their was questionable ticket prices !

insert.pause

First Grade
got over 50k so it went pretty close, judging by ticketek this game will be doing well to hit 40k, and a lot of the empty seats will be behind the posts on the lower bowl, which can't be hidden by cameras and will look awful. Can't believe they haven't started a fire sale & giveaways yet.

insert.pause

First Grade
2008 was not a sell out.

yet none of that has translated into crowds in Australia.

deluded pom?

Coach
Personally, I do not blame the ticket prices for the failure of the crowds to turn up. I blame apathy of the RLIF in properly prompting the games and the fact it was not in the interest of Channel 9 to promote during the season. I also believe the ridiculous miss placed hype about SOO kills the international game (and serves channel 9).

I also blame the apathy of the Australian RL fan. But its because its a fore gone conclusion i guess.

I'm going to the final and I'm spending Thousands on flights and accommodation. I'm taking leave from work. A few hundred dollar entry ticket is no big deal on top of that.

The Lions tour recently in NZ, had 25K travelling fans from the UK. They don't care about a few hundred for a finals ticket.

I know RL is working class game, but is it so bad, we can't find 55k of well off fans from the UK and Oz? I'm sure there are heaps able to afford it. A world cup final ticket should be a minimum of $250.

38,0000 sold. Weather is not likely to be kind. 40K max is my predicition

The "fans" are just apathetic.
I find it had to believe that 25,000 rah rah fans from the UK went to NZ.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Anyone who calls themselves a rl fan, lives in South Queensland canafford $70 but decides to not go to the RLWC final is no fan of the game.

I’ve been saving for months to go, that’s what real fans do.

Or we can decide to spend our money elsewhere. $70 before you get in is NOT $70 at the end of the night try double that at best.

insert.pause

First Grade
Exactly, so blaming the ticket prices ad nauseam as the sole cause for disappointing crowds is a misnomer.
You have missed the point, if it's not because of lack of interest & if it's "got everything going for it" why are people not going? It's basic supply/demand, a lot of people aren't choosing to go at that price point.

morningstar

Juniors
You have missed the point, if it's not because of lack of interest & if it's "got everything going for it" why are people not going? It's basic supply/demand, a lot of people aren't choosing to go at that price point.

Where is the evidence to back that up? As others have said the pool games were reasonably priced and no games have sold out in Australia.

Here are the facts. The RLWC2017 organizers had a budget of $40 million to deliver this tournament. With that $40 million they have failed to incentivize 50,000 people to attend the final and showpiece of said event.

insert.pause

First Grade
Where is the evidence to back that up? As others have said the pool games were reasonably priced and no games have sold out in Australia.

Here are the facts. The RLWC2017 organizers had a budget of $40 million to deliver this tournament. With that $40 million they have failed to incentivize 50,000 people to attend the final and showpiece of said event.
The evidence will be the number of empty seats at the final.

Stallion

First Grade
The evidence will be the number of empty seats at the final.

I'm not liking the fact that this is being discussed. However I thinknthe honest appraisal is what is required or the marketing people will repeat the same pricing mistakes again. They have a record of doing this and don't learn from the failings!

2008 was not a sell out.

It was a sellout. Public seats don't total 52,500.

LordLeague

Juniors
As Yak pointed out earlier, there are only 44,303 General Public seats at Suncorp, so this is the PAX we are chasing for a sellout.

If the PAX last night was 38000, I'd be hopeful it'd be into the 39's or close to 40 by now. Add another day of sales and a couple of thou walk up and we could still sell it out. I reckon we can still do it.

I remember the Centenary Test in Sydney in 2008. Ticket sales were only around 17k the day before the match and the crowd ended up at 35K!

I think we just need a couple of good media stories to increase interest in the game and we'll get there. No more Hayne or Pearce stories FFS!!

Lord League

Burns

First Grade
We're 36 hours away.

Additional CAT C Bays have been opened.

507 and 516 which are two large 2nd Tier Bays in the corner are doing 'double line' and have sold very little.

CAT A Bays on the lower Western stand are back on sale due to reasons. There are still large swathes of unsold tickets behind both goalposts.

Stallion

First Grade
We're 36 hours away.

Additional CAT C Bays have been opened.

507 and 516 which are two large 2nd Tier Bays in the corner are doing 'double line' and have sold very little.

CAT A Bays on the lower Western stand are back on sale due to reasons. There are still large swathes of unsold tickets behind both goalposts.

Journalist Andrew Webster just mentioned on the BSB radio show that NRL clubs have been emailed tickets to give away for the cup final! Well done high priced ticket advocates! Your logic has once again embarassed this great code!

insert.pause

First Grade
Journalist Andrew Webster just mentioned on the BSB radio show that NRL clubs have been emailed tickets to give away for the cup final! Well done high priced ticket advocates! Your logic has once again embarassed this great code!
too little, too late.

Latest posts