What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching prediction 2018/19

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
givem we are in a nice window of opportunity 2018/19 with string players in key positions here is my prediction

Mary gets us going as per last couple seasons in the first 10 rounds and we are top 4

If it slides Hasler comes in for the second half and takes us to a finals series

He has fantastic finals experience
We can’t waste the squad we have

grouch

First Grade
My coaching prediction is that McGregor manages to unify the entire world in opposition to his terrible coaching. Sworn enemies join forces against the common foe, and the utter despicable shitness of Mary creates a lasting world peace. Even Crush starts to hate him

ouryear

Juniors
givem we are in a nice window of opportunity 2018/19 with string players in key positions here is my prediction

Mary gets us going as per last couple seasons in the first 10 rounds and we are top 4

If it slides Hasler comes in for the second half and takes us to a finals series

He has fantastic finals experience
We can’t waste the squad we have

Mary is useless.
But then so is Hasler.

Boring, set in his ways, no better than Mary. His past 2 yrs stats are horrific.

Forget Des....please.

BennyV

Referee
My coaching prediction is that McGregor manages to unify the entire world in opposition to his terrible coaching. Sworn enemies join forces against the common foe, and the utter despicable shitness of Mary creates a lasting world peace. Even Crush starts to hate him
You had my up until the last sentence...

Coffs dragon

Bench
Club management has literally painted the coaching scenario into a corner. No matter how good or bad Mary performs, we are stuck with him. With Doust retiring at the end of the season and a new CEO to be selected & appointed, they will use this as any form of excuse not to envoke any further change. It will take them all year to decide 1 new position, let alone 2 positions plus a 50% ownership sale.
It's not like the Dragons are a progressive & successfully well run business!!!!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Can we at least start this season before we begin the threads about next season?

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Coffs Dragon is right, we've been backed into a corner with our coaching situation.

- If the team performs well this year, Mary gets an extension and we're stuck with him for another two seasons minimum.
- If the team performs poorly, sure.. Mary may get the sack... But we would have missed the finals for another year and that's almost worse.

It's a lose/lose scenario for us.

BennyV

Referee
Coffs Dragon is right, we've been backed into a corner with our coaching situation.

- If the team performs well this year, Mary gets an extension and we're stuck with him for another two seasons minimum.
- If the team performs poorly, sure.. Mary may get the sack... But we would have missed the finals for another year and that's almost worse.

It's a lose/lose scenario for us.
Missing the finals and Mary getting sacked is not a loss. Look at the big picture. We are NOT going to win premierships under McGregor, anyone who can’t see that by now hasn’t been paying attention. Therefore, in order to win, he needs to go. If it takes 1 more year of pain for that to happen then so be it.

If you’re in it for the long haul, then you need to recognise that you gotta take 1 step back before we can take several steps forward.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Missing the finals and Mary getting sacked is not a loss. Look at the big picture. We are NOT going to win premierships under McGregor, anyone who can’t see that by now hasn’t been paying attention. Therefore, in order to win, he needs to go. If it takes 1 more year of pain for that to happen then so be it.

If you’re in it for the long haul, then you need to recognise that you gotta take 1 step back before we can take several steps forward.

Understand your thought process, but i'm sorry, missing the finals is a loss.. Regardless of the coaching situation.

We all want McGregor shafted, but i've been waiting so long to watch a squad of this quality and I have a good feeling about this year. I choose not to wait another year, it's been 7 years since our last genuine finals crack. And who knows... A year of unrest of poor performance may cause marquee players to leave, so even if we do pick up a new coach.. They may be walking into a damaged roster.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Mary will finally make a sensible decision and drop Aitken/Nightingale .. as a result we will have a right edge that can attack as well as a left. This will inevitably lead to more positive results as widdop/hunt were actually decent players before they came.

Mary will take the credit (of course) for this inspired decision without acknowledging the 3 seasons of crap we have swum through because he persisted too long with them.

Of course there is a 2 year extension in there because we will sneak into the 8 and play finals footy again.

blacksafake

First Grade

Only 1 step back:grinning:

Crush

Coach
You had my up until the last sentence...
You would think I have been full of praise for Mary.
Do you read my posts regarding Mary?
Let me set it straight for you and the Grouch.
Mary is over conservative and stuck in a time warp like the rest of the people at the club. His player selection is ultra negative IMO. A classic example when Dugan was injured last year he went with Nighty at FB even though he initially said Dufty and Field were a chance. He will not roll the dice and take a punt on a player. He has no vision and coaches in the moment only disregarding the longterm development of the team. He makes excuses all the time and never takes ownership for his shortcomings.
His use of the bench is the laughing stock of the comp.
He has a very limited game plan and cannot adapt depending on the opposition like the good coaches can.

OK, positives. He seems to be good at creating a happy sustainable environment for the players. They seem to like him and are not rushing to leave the club mostly. We have re-signed the likes of Widdop, Vaughan, Frizell and it seems that the loss of Dugan and Packer wasn't based on the coach it was a $$$ decision.

If the Dragons were to announce the sacking of Mary today and the signing of a new coach I would be excited. It would surely be positive.
Do I think McGregor can develop into a great coach? NO. He is too stuborn.
Do I think the dragons can still do well with McGregor? Yes. I don't believe the coach is everything and that teams can do well if the team is committed enough and talented enough.

What frustrates me is the constant bagging and death riding of Mary. I don't get it. Sure have a crack at him and be critical of his coaching but people like Grouch who do nothing but focus on the negatives makes no sense to me. Its like complaining about the weather or something. Everyone is suffering but no need to constantly complain about it.
I don't hate McGregor. I hope that he somehow turns things around. I doubt he can but I hope he does.
He seems to me like a decent human being.