What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Frederick

Staff member
Box office estimates are in for the weekend, and it's looking like a $650 million worldwide opening, with $250 million coming from the states.

For some perspective (and lols), justice league make $657 million in its entire cinema run.

vvvrulz

Coach
Winter Soldier is my pick
I'd put Civil War ahead of Infinity War too, because it was more plot driven

Civil War was plot driven?

I mean sure, it started with one; but it quickly descended to random avengers fighting each other, for the main villain's grand scheme of making random avengers fight each other. Plus recruiting Spiderman because... reasons.

Great idea, but way too many plot holes and contrivances for mine. The worst one was the perfectly placed tree-camera ready for a perfectly timed car crash with the exact victims and assassin (with no mask of course) to plot a perfectly coordinated showdown many years later with Cap, Iron & Buck in a perfectly planned spot. I can accept a coincidence or two but that was nuts.

Granted Infinity War wasn't the shining example of great plots either, but at least motivations were clear and it stuck to it.

vvvrulz

Coach
The “out of the entire galaxy it just happens to be this ship of people running into the plot antagonist” was a Star Wars level coincidence.

“I just got ass raped by Thanos”
“Really? That’s his daughter”
“Wow that’s convenient”

If you're talking about Thor, it was a bit stretchy but not a hole.

The Guardians were specifically responding to a distress signal; they had good reason to chase one, Thor had good reason to be in the rubble, Thanos had good reason to be the guy who blew it up. If they didn't mention the distress signal then yes that would have been bad writing.

vvvrulz

Coach
Fixing Thor's eye was way too convenient. That was annoying.

The Iron Man suit is now the T-1000.

Didn't like those either - still better than the X-Box Kinect iron man suit I guess.

Also, how did Hulk land directly in Dr Strange's lap, was he aimed there?
Surely not sheer coincidence.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Didn't like those either - still better than the X-Box Kinect iron man suit I guess.

Also, how did Hulk land directly in Dr Strange's lap, was he aimed there?
Surely not sheer coincidence.
Dr Strange helped Thor out in Ragnorok, Heimdell knows that Strange is a friend (he see’s all) so he aimed the bifrost directly to him.

The death I was most cut about was Gamora. Mainly because it looks as though that one will be permanent.

The more I think about it, the more I think Nebula will end up taking her spot in the GoTG once Infinity War part 2 is done.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Civil War was plot driven?

I mean sure, it started with one; but it quickly descended to random avengers fighting each other, for the main villain's grand scheme of making random avengers fight each other. Plus recruiting Spiderman because... reasons.

Great idea, but way too many plot holes and contrivances for mine. The worst one was the perfectly placed tree-camera ready for a perfectly timed car crash with the exact victims and assassin (with no mask of course) to plot a perfectly coordinated showdown many years later with Cap, Iron & Buck in a perfectly planned spot. I can accept a coincidence or two but that was nuts.

Granted Infinity War wasn't the shining example of great plots either, but at least motivations were clear and it stuck to it.

Yes, more plot driven than infinty war.

And more real than the average “alien wants to destroy the universe” plot of IW

Game_Breaker

Coach
I don't think you can make that call until after part two tbh. At the moment, the story is incomplete. Some movies that have sequels are still complete films unto themselves but Infinity War is not one of those.

Epic part one though.

If a movie relies on another for it to be complete then it definitely can’t be considered the best

vvvrulz

Coach
Yes, more plot driven than infinty war.

And more real than the average “alien wants to destroy the universe” plot of IW

More real for sure; and potentially a better plot by some distance - but I just think it was told so poorly that it almost becomes moot. It takes all those good ideas and turns it into a punch-fest.

Sure, IW was a punch-fest too, but it felt more purposeful (if for a more generic reason).

gUt

Coach
Box office estimates are in for the weekend, and it's looking like a $650 million worldwide opening, with $250 million coming from the states.

For some perspective (and lols), justice league make $657 million in its entire cinema run.

I'm sure the memorable character Water Fellow will even up the ledger

Game_Breaker

Coach
More real for sure; and potentially a better plot by some distance - but I just think it was told so poorly that it almost becomes moot. It takes all those good ideas and turns it into a punch-fest.

Sure, IW was a punch-fest too, but it felt more purposeful (if for a more generic reason).

I don’t entirely disagree with your civil war assessment - I too picked out the plot holes when it was released - the best MCU movies are miles away from the dark knight trilogy

But in the context of the MCU, I enjoyed it more than IW

IW is the bigger movie no doubt, doesn’t mean its better.
The black order for instance were shit, completely wasted.
Generic alien army of Stranger Things like demodogs were easily wiped out once Thor arrived
Thanos was awesome, but he spent decades trying to collect the infinity stones with no luck - he does it in the space of a few hours in IW

IW didn’t have the best action
It wasn’t the funniest
Didn’t have the best plot (most important thing for me)
Too many characters for it to focus on character development (unless you count Scarlett witch losing her accent for some reason)

It was enjoyable, but not in my top 3 MCU - and that’s not a bad thing

Parra Pride

Coach
Thanos was awesome, but he spent decades trying to collect the infinity stones with no luck - he does it in the space of a few hours in IW

He had others attempting to do the dirty work for him on the other occasions we actually see, when he decides to do it himself he get's shit done.

Too many characters for it to focus on character development (unless you count Scarlett witch losing her accent for some reason)

None of the heroes needed character development going into this, we already know who they are and what they stand for. The guy who did need development, Thanos, got it. This movie probably flops hard if they don't have eighteen movies that are spent building up the heroes involved, Justice League is the perfect example of that.

Game_Breaker

Coach
He had others attempting to do the dirty work for him on the other occasions we actually see, when he decides to do it himself he get's shit done.

Which makes the black order useless

None of the heroes needed character development going into this, we already know who they are and what they stand for. The guy who did need development, Thanos, got it. This movie probably flops hard if they don't have eighteen movies that are spent building up the heroes involved, Justice League is the perfect example of that.

I’m taking in the context of “greatest comic book movie”

Character development is key for me, the whole point of an ensemble cast means you can’t focus on it that much

I’m not hating on it because of the lack of characterisation, that was the point of phase 3 films
I don’t even hate the film. But as soon as you defend its lack of character development then how can it be the best MCU film?

Again, this isn’t a bad thing in the context of the MCU. I personally enjoyed other films more than IW

Last Week

Bench
Thanos was cool but I love Ebony Maw. Deadset my favourite villain so far in the MCU. Not saying much, but my favourite.

images