What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well if that's the case it was a f**ken shithouse clue...not that I'm shocked.

Personally I suspect chiefy is being intentionally vague, on top of unintentionally dumb, in an effort to make people think he's got info...
Chiefly should start reporting the weather, it’s right up his alley.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Best way to stop this is having the NRL get the school competition up to a higher standard and then bring in a draft...

Too much pressure on young men moving interstate at a young age, for me a draft is creating more problems than we already have, let the kids pick where they want to play and limit contract prices before they reach 18. Personally I'd rather the school competition scrapped.

Bazal

Post Whore
Too much pressure on young men moving interstate at a young age, for me a draft is creating more problems than we already have, let the kids pick where they want to play and limit contract prices before they reach 18. Personally I'd rather the school competition scrapped.

I think there's far too much focus on "making it" by such a young age too...it's almost at the stage where if a kid hasn't become a first grader by 21 or 22 they're basically scrapped. That feeds into the pressure. Most kids at 18 have absolutely no idea what they want to do with their lives.

Honestly I think that the progression should be slower than it is

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think there's far too much focus on "making it" by such a young age too...it's almost at the stage where if a kid hasn't become a first grader by 21 or 22 they're basically scrapped. That feeds into the pressure. Most kids at 18 have absolutely no idea what they want to do with their lives.

I have always been of the opinion NRL sides should have a squad of 40, with no restrictions on who can play NRL.

And have something like each squad must have 5 players on at least $60k and another 5 on at least 75k (with rent subsidies allowed for those 10 players to help keep players especially in the city) then the next 30 on the current contract rules.

$75k or $60k while not huge money is good enough to keep players, chipping away at an NRL career.

Players wouId be given more time to develop and ones that don’t make it have more experience in an NRL environment (and higher level of footy such as nsw cup) which they can use to help other players / clubs if they return to park footy.

Those extra 10 players wouId only cost $675k (less what ever the current rookie development contract arrangement is). So it’s not a huge cost to clubs and only improves the game.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Increasing the Flegg age from 20's to 22's or 23's would keep a few of the players "in the system" a bit longer. Obviously the better players would still end up playing reserve grade.

Bazal

Post Whore
$75k or $60k while not huge money is good enough to keep players, chipping away at an NRL career.

Realistically 75k is a very good full time wage...

Increasing the Flegg age from 20's to 22's or 23's would keep a few of the players "in the system" a bit longer. Obviously the better players would still end up playing reserve grade.

I've always liked the under 23s limit more. Both for that reason, and because I think it allows for a steadier development of players.

Gronk

Staff member
Ha ha, FFS chief!! If that is it, he is deadset a goose!! That rumour has been reported a few times by several sites!

Goose !

giphy.gif

Latest posts