What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Slater

GongPanther

Referee
But the rule isn't based on whether or not that hand had any influence in the tackle, it's based on whether or not there was an attempt to use the arm or hand in effecting a tackle. Slater has clearly put his right arm out toward Feki, and his hand makes first contact.

Under the shitty rule that's not a shoulder charge.
His hand hitting him when the very first head-on replay shown,looked obvious to me,and I was convinced that he would get off. But when viewing it on another angle,from behind,I can understand how ppl can be irate about it being a shoulder charge. I still feel he will get off by the skin of his teeth though.

People should prepare themselves for that finding.

Lebbo73

Bench
I just knew The_Shield would be in here trying to defend nothing but a blatant shoulder charge, literally everyone in here knows it was a shoulder charge, it's not even up for debate at this point

The only way he gets off is if Melbourne present other tackles which were similar that weren't charged but if you look down the list of what a shoulder charge is, Slater's tackle ticks every box
There’s plenty of those tackles and it wasn’t a shoulder charge!

bileduct

Coach
His hand hitting him when the very first head-on replay shown,looked obvious to me,and I was convinced that he would get off. But when viewing it on another angle,from behind,I can understand how ppl can be irate about it being a shoulder charge. I still feel he will get off by the skin of his teeth though.

People should prepare themselves for that finding.
That seems to be the obvious outcome. The same dude got Jack Wighton off his shoulder charge offence, and that was worse than Slater's. One of the articles cited earlier mentioned that four of six referrals to the judiciary for shoulder charges have been overturned.

Lebbo73

Bench
Wait. Are people actually saying that wasn't a shoulder charge?

It's downright insane that the NRL created such a shitty rule, but to suggest that what Slater did was anything other than a shoulder charge is f**king absurd.
Definitely not a shoulder charge!

Pedge1971

First Grade
That seems to be the obvious outcome. The same dude got Jack Wighton off his shoulder charge offence, and that was worse than Slater's. One of the articles cited earlier mentioned that four of six referrals to the judiciary for shoulder charges have been overturned.

Yeah but that was Jack Wighton ffs, it doesnt get much bigger. As Stick said he is the Raiders answer to Bill.....oh hang on....

typicalfan

Coach
The wording is below:

"• The contact is forceful, and;
• The player did not use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player."

I'd argue that even if the hand makes contact, it was incidental and he did not use, nor attempt to use, his hands or arms to tackle.

The idea that someone could make a hit from side on with the left shoulder and claim that the right hand was in any way a part of the tackle just seems ridiculous to me.
Well after reading that Slater is looking good. They probably only charged him to add to the theatre

Kilkenny

Coach
I must be watching the wrong footage because from what I have seen it was and is a shoulder charge under the current definition and rules.

Like many others I have no doubt he will be found 'not guilty' so to speak and allowed to play in the GF but it just highlights the mess our game is in.

Danish

Referee
I just knew The_Shield would be in here trying to defend nothing but a blatant shoulder charge, literally everyone in here knows it was a shoulder charge, it's not even up for debate at this point

The only way he gets off is if Melbourne present other tackles which were similar that weren't charged but if you look down the list of what a shoulder charge is, Slater's tackle ticks every box

The judiciary rules are such that precedent is only set by charged offences, so if you wanted to argue a grade 2 down to a grade 1 you can use footage of other grade 1s, but you aren’t allowed to use footage of other non charged offences to argue your way out of a grade 1.

Yes, I am aware that is f**king geniused.

Fire

First Grade
So when does old mate go to the judiciary? (I remember reading on the NRL website they're bring it forward or something to allow the teams to prep for the GF).

Jordan

Juniors
How it it any different to this one a few years ago before the shoulder charge was banned? You'd think he would've learnt after breaking his collarbone in 5 different places.

I kind of hope he plays though. As a neutral the game would be less interesting as a spectacle without him playing.

lazza

Juniors
He knew the risks... definitely a shoulder charge. It was the only way he could stop the try. A few cm here and there and he could break someone’s jaw. A regular tackle would have seen him score. Just think... if sharks did score there, it changes the game.

And When I watch other players try to tackle blokes going for the try line in the corner with a 2 hand push, I now get why.

Danish

Referee
If the weak refs dealt with it properly on field then everyone would be happy.

Pretty much. It was an obvious sin bin for foul play as last line of defence.

If he’d gone to the bin, the need for a charge would be greatly reduced

carcharias

Immortal
He knew the risks... definitely a shoulder charge. It was the only way he could stop the try. A few cm here and there and he could break someone’s jaw. A regular tackle would have seen him score. Just think... if sharks did score there, it changes the game.

And When I watch other players try to tackle blokes going for the try line in the corner with a 2 hand push, I now get why.

A try there was never going to change the game.

Lewis was out on his feet
Feki was eventually taken out illegally.
Take Gallen and Graham out.

Sharks had a second rower on the wing for half the game.
In saying that..
That storm win was not very convincing.
20 nil halftime.
Storm could only manage 2 points in the 2nd half.

Slater missing

Roosters

Gonzalez

Juniors
So Jakey Friend spears Inglis and can play in the GF whilst Slater bumps a bloke side on and gets a week.

Of course the nrl love Melbourne.

Latest posts