What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Slater

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Lol, right. Let's bring in the Champion Law. If Gould deems you a champion, you are not allowed to be suspended. Elbow someone in the head Hopoate-style and you are safe, as the game needs its champions so people will watch.

People follow sport because they like the sport. There's no one out there going 'hmmm Billy Slater or Buddy Franklin...oh wait Slater is suspended guess I'll be an AFL fan'. No doubt there will always be hero worship but fans don't suddenly become RU fans because SBW or Sam Burgess switched codes.

Exactly right. So often we hear drongos in the media say if we don't allow the rules to be bent to allow Player X to play/be allowed into the code etc, we'll lose fans. We can afford to lose fans who support like that. They end up drifting off on the wind eventually anyway.

I can't even fathom a person with the level of responsibility and power in the game as Gould saying something so deadshit as that. Although I can, because he makes a habit of it.

bileduct

Coach
Dallas Johnson is on the panel lolol

Who are the other two members - Smith & Bellamy?

Tbh I think he's already gotten off; but it'll be made public tonight.
Is he? I thought he "might" be on the panel.

But it gets worse than that. There's this other guy who "might" be on the panel called Sean Garlick, Who the f**k is this guy? He makes pies. The worst pies you'd ever eat. What the f**k would he know about rugby league?

What a rort.

JJ

Immortal
Is he? I thought he "might" be on the panel.

But it gets worse than that. There's this other guy who "might" be on the panel called Sean Garlick, Who the f**k is this guy? He makes pies. The worst pies you'd ever eat. What the f**k would he know about rugby league?

What a rort.
Garlick was a decent hooker

Johnson - dear oh dear, wonder what his view on concussions and preventing them is

OzDragon

Coach
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/3f5498eb9aa2d068fa00e85fd7705a63

I don't know if the Napa interview within this story has been viewed/commented on, but a couple of things jump out at me-

1- He sounds as if he's still struggling with the effects of the head clash
2- He says 'as a competitor, he hopes Slater is suspended'- doesn't sound very competitive to me.
You could tell Napa basically shat his pants once he made contact with the head few weeks back. Made me lol how he went from tough guy to almost crying in one hit.

Headless Chook

Juniors
Dallas Johnson is on the panel lolol

Who are the other two members - Smith & Bellamy?

Tbh I think he's already gotten off; but it'll be made public tonight.
Now that Gerard Sutton and Ashley Klein have gotten the gig I wouldn’t be surprised if the Storm changed their plea to a guilty one. With those two in charge they won’t need Slater.

Storm80

Juniors
Spot on, mate.

In summary

Rugby league haters argument

- he can’t get off based on emotion
- he broke the rules, it’s a shoulder charge he didn’t wrap his arms
- he shouldn’t get off

Rugby league lovers argument

- emotion has nothing to do with it
- the rules for shoulder charge don’t require him to wrap arms.
- the rules for shoulder charge require him to attempt to use his arms and hands.
- under NRL rules he has been charged for an offence he did not commit.
- judiciary has no choice but to find him not guilty.

Rugby league haters

- don’t quote rules at me. My EMOTIONALLY response is that it’s a shoulder charge
- people has died from shoulder charges. My EMOTIONAL and irrational response is Billy must be found guilty even if he hasn’t breached the NRL rules.

Rugby league lovers

- don’t bring emotion into the argument.
- it ain’t about sentimentality or WHS risks
- wrapping the arms is not the only way to tackle in NRL and is not even mentioned in NRL Rules
- shoulder charge was brought in for north south contact. Never intended for east west contact.
- Billy attempted to use his hands and arms, regardless of how imperfect or clumsy the tackle attempt may have been.
- Billy by definition of NRL rules executed a perfectly legal tackle to save a try.
- the contact Billy made was not forceful, Feki was not injured and bounced to his feet.
- NRL rules maintain it should never have been a penalty, let alone a chargeable offence.
- Several other players over the past two years have done the same shoulder bump into touch as Billy. In those cases no one got charged. In those cases the player didn’t even bother to use an arm or hand to reach for the arm or body of the attacking player or reach for the the ball

But yeah us Rugby league lovers are the ones in the wrong.... take Emotion out of it. By NRL rules Billy did nothing wrong

johnny plath

Juniors
This argument was hashed out a million times when the original ban happened and I’ve stated why I disagree.

They only knock blokes senseless when they make contact with the head. You can do that with a swinging arm or just a normal tackle. The problem isn’t the shoulder charge it’s the contact with the head. I’d be fine with players receiving huge bans for reckless tackles making contact with the head. Do a shoulder charge and hit someone’s head? Find yourself with a 10+ week ban.

This is actually just factually wrong, and the whip lash caused by shoulder charges is a real issue, and why front on side on argument is also bullshit. With the James Ackerman death, the coroner says that the minimal bruising to Ackermans head was not likely caused by the shoulder charge, and that contact was unlikely to have been with the head or neck, and from video evidence support it was more likely to the chest. He goes on to say that the whip lash from the tackle probably stretched and tore the cartatoid artery which led to his death.

https://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/542818/cif-ackerman-jw-20171109.pdf
Slater can get f**ked and be suspended for the rest of his life

Last Week

Bench
6092097_orig.gif

Champion
532650-3x2-940x627.jpg

Champion!
giphy.gif

So much champion!!
r80068_230642.jpg

You can't suspend him. He's a champion!! Champions are why we watch it the game!!
gu6cobophsy01.gif

Just a champion really.

Latest posts