What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rich Clubs of the Future

unforgiven

Bench
And the clubs do such a great job themselves right? Furthermore, we still want to run a premier national competition like it’s the old Sydney competition?
In fact for the most part the clubs do a good job of running junior development, some clubs do an amazing job. I really do not believe that the ARLC would be able to run the juniors.. You want the people who run our National comp like its the old Sydney comp to run the junior?

Front-Rower

First Grade
In fact for the most part the clubs do a good job of running junior development, some clubs do an amazing job. I really do not believe that the ARLC would be able to run the juniors.. You want the people who run our National comp like its the old Sydney comp to run the junior?

They would have to run it with the help of the state bodies.

In a day and age where most professional sporting bodies are running their premier teams as franchises with no real connection to a development system, the current system used in Rugby League was world class, in about 1970. Clubs should be running lean, with very little fat at a corporate or operational level.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I do wonder if it is coincidence that the rich clubs also seem to be the ones who usually employer retiring players after their careers? is there any rules or scrutiny of paying a player less in last couple of years of their contract and making up the difference with a cushy well paying guaranteed job after playing? Just another way a rich club can stack a squad. Would anyone be surprised if cooper Cronk becomes roosters half back “consultant” when he retires?

Perth Red

Post Whore
They would have to run it with the help of the state bodies.

In a day and age where most professional sporting bodies are running their premier teams as franchises with no real connection to a development system, the current system used in Rugby League was world class, in about 1970. Clubs should be running lean, with very little fat at a corporate or operational level.

Agreed, though obviously the benefit of pokie funding in rl in nsw and Q’land means it’s a bit different here. I’m sure if the nrl clubs had to pay for jnr development it would be very different. Nrl clubs should run the elite u16, U18 etc and the state bodies manage the jnr systems which is kind of what happens in reality but it doesn’t stop the likes of the nrl panthers whinging at losing players developed by the panthers pokie company.

taipan

Referee
I do wonder if it is coincidence that the rich clubs also seem to be the ones who usually employer retiring players after their careers? is there any rules or scrutiny of paying a player less in last couple of years of their contract and making up the difference with a cushy well paying guaranteed job after playing? Just another way a rich club can stack a squad. Would anyone be surprised if cooper Cronk becomes roosters half back “consultant” when he retires?

No problem with that, provided it's within the reduced football department spending cap, which is to bring some balance so as wealthier clubs as they do now ,outmatch the less well of clubs in that area.So stacking as such will have to be well managed within limits.
Some first graders end up as coaches.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Agreed, though obviously the benefit of pokie funding in rl in nsw and Q’land means it’s a bit different here. I’m sure if the nrl clubs had to pay for jnr development it would be very different. Nrl clubs should run the elite u16, U18 etc and the state bodies manage the jnr systems which is kind of what happens in reality but it doesn’t stop the likes of the nrl panthers whinging at losing players developed by the panthers pokie company.

Long gone are the days (you will find an exception here or there) where players, in any sport that I've been involved in, want to play for their local club, they just want to play at the highest level they possibly can.

Not only that, taking away junior development from the clubs removes the complexity and arguments around other clubs poaching juniors who have had a tonne of money sunk in to them.

If we take the last 20 years as an example the largest rugby league junior nursery, Penrith, has won one competition. Parramatta and Wests Tigers have won one between them. Yet the Roosters have been in 7 Grand Finals and won 3 competitions.

TheFrog

Coach
If we take the last 20 years as an example the largest rugby league junior nursery, Penrith, has won one competition. Parramatta and Wests Tigers have won one between them. Yet the Roosters have been in 7 Grand Finals and won 3 competitions.
It isn't running a large junior nursery that wins NRL premierships. It is the ability to put the best senior side possible on the paddock under the existing rules, and have them perform at their best at the correct time. There is some degree of luck in it as well, but as the Roosters and Storm demonstrate, not much.

Front-Rower

First Grade
It isn't running a large junior nursery that wins NRL premierships. It is the ability to put the best senior side possible on the paddock under the existing rules, and have them perform at their best at the correct time. There is some degree of luck in it as well, but as the Roosters and Storm demonstrate, not much.

So you would agree that the ARLC and it’s state based bodies would be better off running junior development?

Teddyboy

First Grade
I had a god like moment today when I pumped into a bloke who f**ked off to OZ in 94 and he told me it wasn't until 2013 that he got into the TGG and now like some real religious nut job he is 110% Roosters and loves going to the SFS ?
In fact was so pissed of he had to watch the grand final on iPad in Italy and he is from Whitley Bay

taipan

Referee
I had a god like moment today when I pumped into a bloke who f**ked off to OZ in 94 and he told me it wasn't until 2013 that he got into the TGG and now like some real religious nut job he is 110% Roosters and loves going to the SFS ?
In fact was so pissed of he had to watch the grand final on iPad in Italy and he is from Whitley Bay

Whitley Bay !!! Know it well.That's in Queensland.Should be following the Donkeys.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Whitley Bay !!! Know it well.That's in Queensland.Should be following the Donkeys.
Come to Whitley Bay as it's great as it's a mix of Bondi and Blackpool but without the tourists so lots of cheap drink and drugs to not enjoy yippppeee

taipan

Referee
Come to Whitley Bay as it's great as it's a mix of Bondi and Blackpool but without the tourists so lots of cheap drink and drugs to not enjoy yippppeee

Bondi is for gullible tourists and latte sippers.Blackpool is for people who want their nipples frosted off ,whilst swimming.
My drug is rugby league and I get cheap drinks from a bubbling spring I know.

The sooner the ARLC takes full control of junior development off the clubs the better. It would also allow for the perfect opportunity to try and reintroduce a player draft.

Pie in the sky mate if you think that alone will lead to a draft coming in. Unless the NRL can secure the RLPA's support it won't ever happen, and so far the RLPA have been vocal in saying they won't support a draft. The law is very much on the player's side on this one. Only reason the AFL have one is the AFLPA agreed to not contest it in court, but if any AFL player chose to contest the legality of the AFL draft everyone knows it would be ruled illegal.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pie in the sky mate if you think that alone will lead to a draft coming in. Unless the NRL can secure the RLPA's support it won't ever happen, and so far the RLPA have been vocal in saying they won't support a draft. The law is very much on the player's side on this one. Only reason the AFL have one is the AFLPA agreed to not contest it in court, but if any AFL player chose to contest the legality of the AFL draft everyone knows it would be ruled illegal.

Other than RL has any sport with a draft been challenged in court by a player? There must be a reason, AFL and the USA sports have managed to sustain it, surely someone would have had a crack at getting rid if its in the players best interests not to have one?

I see no need for a draft, its not like we don't see a lot of player movement in the NRL and even the top players moving around. There is also nothing stopping a player signing from reserve grade for any club that can make them a good offer, and IF the salary cap is actually legit then we would see plenty of talent spread anyway.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Bondi is for gullible tourists and latte sippers.Blackpool is for people who want their nipples frosted off ,whilst swimming.
My drug is rugby league and I get cheap drinks from a bubbling spring I know.
Maybe the Roosters should of had a Central Coast like stadium in Bondi itself ?

TheFrog

Coach
Other than RL has any sport with a draft been challenged in court by a player? There must be a reason, AFL and the USA sports have managed to sustain it, surely someone would have had a crack at getting rid if its in the players best interests not to have one?
You cannot compare the US to Australia, the laws are completely different.