What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refs threaten strike Round 1

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe the refs need to fight for the respect of the job.

Right now, in the NRLs eyes, they are nothing but KFC salesmen.

I'm pretty sure they are on a KFC kick back scheme already, the more BS decisions you can send up to the bunker the more buckets of deep fried sht vouchers you get.

no name

Coach
I hope part of their conditions they are pushing for is to get someone with a clue to be in charge.
Archer and Sutton have nfi.
Good luck to the refs, hope they do get a pay rise/better conditions, I also hope their performance improves as a result.

Diesel

Referee
I back the refs on this one, they deserve a lot more money for what they do, the criticsim they receive and the pressure they are under. In saying this, if they get a heafty raise, they need to up their game, some decisions are terrible and when they get it wrong, they need to face the music, such as being part of the post match press conference.

mxlegend99

Referee
They can make or break a game more than any player or coach, they are under scrutiny and get the flame more than any player, you cant have a game without them. Good luck to them in whatever they can get! If some of the numpties that play the game can earn $600k I dont see why a ref shouldn't be getting $300k.
Fans go to watch the players and teams. Not the refs who shouldn't be making or breaking games.

There are a lot of players on a hell of a lot less then $300k. That take far greater risks during a game.the NRL offered increase is very reasonable IMO.

simmo05

Bench
Nrl should put a clause in where they get docked 100 000 every time they send a decision to the bunker

Walpole

Juniors
Let the current refs all go on strike for the first round next season. The NRL will find replacements.

If the replacements do a better job, give them the jobs with the increased pay. If not, the current blokes can have their pay rise.

What are they getting paid today ?

Following is from the Andrew Webster article quoted in the original post to this thread -

"The current minimum salary for a full-time referee is $105,000. The top-tier refs make $180,000 but their roles aren’t confined to one match per week. They also include working in The Bunker, being a match-day coach or refereeing a second match if needed."

Let the current refs all go on strike for the first round next season. The NRL will find replacements.

If the replacements do a better job, give them the jobs with the increased pay. If not, the current blokes can have their pay rise.

If you think that would happen mate then you are not living in reality. Go have a look at the NFL and NBA when they locked out their referees and see what happened with the replacement officials. The replacements were horrendous.

Springs09

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...f=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_sport_nrl

They want 300 grand a year. f**k. Me. Dead.

The likes of Klein are lucky to have a f**king job at all. They don't make tackles, they don't score points, they don't train strenuously every week. They literally run back and forth up the field and handball 90% of their decisions to the Bunker.

Can tell you've never refereed anything in your life.

Much harder job than playing. Playing is actually fun and you get the rewards of winning and a good time with your mates. Refereeing isn't fun and you have to put up with abuse from players and fans and your reward at the end is everyone hates you for helping the game out doing a job no one else wants to do.

No way would I do it if I wasn't paid. And no way would I ever ref at professional level if I wasn't paid very well - enough to set me up for life after retirement.

And don't train strenuously every week? I run 6km reffing an U16s game. NRL refs would do way more. I'm sure they just sit on the couch all week waiting for the game.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Few good points there. You could do the best performance by a ref of all time and still cop crap about it. You also need to be one of the fittest on the field, having 2 refs would have taken a load off the legs and the lungs but I remember reading bill Harriggons book and seeing a photo of him at halftime during a grand final with a cooling vest on just shattered and wondering how the hell he was going to do another 40 minutes of this.

Springs09

Juniors

Yeah, cause that's how it works.

If the NRL refs go on strike there's no one who actually knows the NRL refereeing system. All levels below the NRL are reffed differently. We are specifically told not to copy the NRL refs because the NRL is an entertainment product and the refs are instructed how to police the game to increase the entertainment value, rather than just police the rules like we do at all other levels.

Walpole

Juniors
Yeah, cause that's how it works.

If the NRL refs go on strike there's no one who actually knows the NRL refereeing system. All levels below the NRL are reffed differently. We are specifically told not to copy the NRL refs because the NRL is an entertainment product and the refs are instructed how to police the game to increase the entertainment value, rather than just police the rules like we do at all other levels.
I'd love to see games refereed according to the rules.

Last Week

Bench
Sounds like it's the conditions/workload/rostering that should be changed.

FYI, if the refs get this increase, they'll be getting more than what NFL referees do. And they work part time.

Latest posts