What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JAMAICA MAKE WORLD CUP 2021!

Golden point

Juniors
So what about your claim of them drawing poorly?
They did draw poorly.
You made excuses for them.
After those performances, they would get even worse attending at their next showing. Thankfully they didn't make it and we don't have to worry about it.

People don't want to pay to see amateurs. If they did...then they would be professionals... get it?

Pommy

Coach
They did draw poorly.
You made excuses for them.
After those performances, they would get even worse attending at their next showing. Thankfully they didn't make it and we don't have to worry about it.

People don't want to pay to see amateurs. If they did...then they would be professionals... get it?

Fiji Vs Wales drew 7,732 in the same stadium, with these pro aides shouldn’t they have been turning people away?
This was a double header as USA vs Italy so three sides of pros weren’t enough to bring the crowds in.
Yet in PNG they weren’t fussed, could it just be Aussies can’t be arsed going to games?

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
http://everythingrugbyleague.com/ja...ulmination-of-more-than-a-decade-of-toil.html

Every once in a while Everything Rugby League comes across people who blow your mind with their love of the game. The time, the personal funds and the mental toughness it takes to start a sport in a different country where almost no one has ever even hear of “rugby league” is truly inspiring. Imagine trying to start a sport from scratch. Where do you start? Schools? Rugby Union participants? Cooperate sponsors? Who knows?

This was the challenge Jamaica Rugby League faced in 2004. There’s often a disconnect when we think of organization by name, not people. Make no mistake, Jamaica Rugby League are people and qualifying for the 2021 Rugby League World Cup is the work of blood, sweat and tears. I first heard of Jamaica’s Romeo Monteith around 10 years ago. I remember thinking, “geez, this guy’s committed” when I heard about his plans to introduce a development academy called “Hurricanes Rugby League” to help develop the natural athleticism and love of sport of Jamaican locals into competitive Rugby League teams. The Hurricanes program looked to be succeeding as locals signed up in encouraging numbers. Unfortunately, Jamaica Rugby League experienced what so many other developing rugby league nations go through; the equation that a lack of funds equals an incredibly difficult task to maintain or even prevent progress from going backwards.

“The Hurricanes program is a bit stagnant as we have no funding for it. We had to stop the academy and the seniors last played in 2016 when BARLA (British Amateur Rugby League Association)” says Romeo Monteith.

Jamaica currently has a group numbering in the hundreds of young men and boys who are registered rugby league players. Due to a lack of resources, they play on dangerously hard pitches which illustrates thier love rugby league so much. Romeo believes the recent 2021 World Cup qualification is for them.

“It means the world to the hundreds of kids and young men without a rugby league field back in Jamaica, playing on rock hard and stone filled pitches week in and week out. All the kids who get banned from using the soccer pitches, who today, witnessed their country men do something that will stay with them for a lifetime. All the volunteers like former national player Nicholas Wright who drove 15 hours from Texas just to give a helping hand because he knew we have no help on the ground. It means the world to all of us”.

464.png

Jamaica came up against Canada, USA and newcomers Chile in the World Cup Qualifiers. On paper, they were the third most favored team in this tournament. The players were having none of that though, beating Canada convincingly 38-8 and holding on to beat USA 16-10 in Florida. Due to a lack of funds, players volunteered to pay their own way, at a cost of thousands of dollars.

“It means a great deal for all the people have sacrificed so much since 2004 and all the boys who funded their own way to represent their country and families today. All of us who were laughed at and ridiculed and told we were wasting our time”.

As a sport, we need to get to a stage where countries like Jamaica no longer have situations where players spend their hard-earned savings just to represent their countries. A good start would be to divert some of the prize money the top countries get for winning the World Cup into equal “appearance fees” for all countries. This is a story for another day though.

The benefit of the World Cup still being 3 years away is Jamaica have time to raise money for sponsorship and continue to develop eligible players.

“2021 is some way off, we've got time to prepare and proudly represent our country and the Americas” says Romeo.

Step 1 is to convince authorities to dedicate a locate pitch for Rugby league Players to practice and train on. Being able to say the team will be playing at some of the biggest stadiums in England will hopefully help with this.

“We want the sport to grow on the island and in the Caribbean. We want at least one rugby league pitch in Kingston to give our kids the opportunity to play rugby league safely. We want sponsors to come on board and help us be the best we can be in 2021. I think Jamaica will be everyone's second favorite team so I'd like to see some tangible support for growing the National Team and the grass root program on the island. Paul Morris who was one of our founders told us we would go to the world cup. He died a few years back, but I think he is smiling in heaven right now. we did it!”

Golden point

Juniors
Fiji Vs Wales drew 7,732 in the same stadium, with these pro aides shouldn’t they have been turning people away?
This was a double header as USA vs Italy so three sides of pros weren’t enough to bring the crowds in.
Yet in PNG they weren’t fussed, could it just be Aussies can’t be arsed going to games?
Yeah that's true.

Let me put it this way: now you know that the domestic players from the US don't stand a chance against pros and the only question is by how much will they be flogged... does that make you more likely or less likely to buy a ticket and fight the traffic to see them play?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Wow. This is great news.

Someone mentioned they will be stacked with heritage players. I will counter with the great work that has been done in Jamaica building a domestic presence.

Go Jamaica! Do yourselves, your families & your country proud.

The USA had 7 domestic players, Jamaica 2.

The USA did very well considering.

There should be a rule in place when teams like these two play 5-7 doestic players should be in the teams and when they play the top nations they can field full heritage players.

Western_Eel

Juniors
Congratulations Jamaica!

The question has to be asked though. Is it good for our game that the USA will probably not be at the world cup now? I know they have a second chance but they will be up against it. The USA sent a majority domestic squad to the world cup last time. Yes, they got hammered but we are replacing an authentic international team (USA) with what will be a stacked heritage team (Jamaica) at the next cup. Plus the media will have their usual field day with the 'Jamaicans' all having English accents.
I think you have it all wrong, I don’t think the USA should be using so many domestic players, you just have to look at the success of Tonga to understand why using heritage players can build more profile.

Western_Eel

Juniors
W
The USA had 7 domestic players, Jamaica 2.

The USA did very well considering.

There should be a rule in place when teams like these two play 5-7 doestic players should be in the teams and when they play the top nations they can field full heritage players.
why though? Tonga would suck if that rule was in place

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Good on Jamaica, at least they have grown the game in all facets from nothing and at the exact same time, the US have done sweet stuff all in comparison just in the junior category alone. Jamaica and Serbia are going about all this the proper way, from the ground up.

deal.with.it

Juniors
So how you organically grow Jamaica to compete with tier 2 nations without heritage players?
You won’t get a pro comp in Jamaica. Will pro teams sponsor players’ flights/accom to join? Can you do what Ukraine did and send the best 10 players to a UK team for the season? What’s the blueprint?

Golden point

Juniors
So how you organically grow Jamaica to compete with tier 2 nations without heritage players?
You won’t get a pro comp in Jamaica. Will pro teams sponsor players’ flights/accom to join? Can you do what Ukraine did and send the best 10 players to a UK team for the season? What’s the blueprint?
A North American super league 4 Jamaican teams 6 US teams and 4 Canadian teams. Play round Robin in thier own country with the top 3 of Jamaica and Canada go into the second half of the season with the top 4 in the US making a 10 team comp with a top 4 playoff. And Santa paying for the lot.

deal.with.it

Juniors
A North American super league 4 Jamaican teams 6 US teams and 4 Canadian teams. Play round Robin in thier own country with the top 3 of Jamaica and Canada go into the second half of the season with the top 4 in the US making a 10 team comp with a top 4 playoff. And Santa paying for the lot.

So between now an WC 2021... what’s the plan?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I think it's great that in the last 7 days we have had France, Wales and Jamaica qualify. All three nations have domestic with some age grades and schools competition.

Yes they had 14-15 heritage players but at least they had 4 domestic players in the 19 man squad and have 2 years to improve the elite domestic players.
This. I don’t have a problem necessarily with nations fielding heritage players as long as there’s something underneath in terms of domestic development in said nation that can eventually lead to “real” born players of a particular country.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Good on Jamaica, at least they have grown the game in all facets from nothing and at the exact same time, the US have done sweet stuff all in comparison just in the junior category alone. Jamaica and Serbia are going about all this the proper way, from the ground up.
Which will pay off in the long run for both nations. You can add wales to that list also.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Could we not play super league and NRL pre-season trial matches in Jamaica? Maybe have some coaching clinics with some youngsters and try and identify potential Jamaican talent??

Golden point

Juniors
So between now an WC 2021... what’s the plan?
Ok seriously: I think the coachingstaff need to be appointed now( they need to be semi pro at least with Qcup or league one level - they should spend a few weeks in the country running training camps and tryouts , pick the best prospects in the 17- 21 year old categories , pick at least 10. Coaching staff will have connections to get them experience playing in the Uk or Aus . Do this each year in the next three years and hopefully you have some decent players with experience to ad to your heritage players.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think you have it all wrong, I don’t think the USA should be using so many domestic players, you just have to look at the success of Tonga to understand why using heritage players can build more profile.

What is the lasting legacy in Tonga once the golden generation retire if none of the team are Tongan born, none come from the local league and the team doesn't ever play there? Growth comes more sustainably through the approach that the USA, Serbia, PNG, France, Wales and Ireland are taking.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You are 1 person.

I agree with @Pommy and we are not the only ones. Growth within the countries itself is actually growing the game. Using existing Australian, English and Kiwi players to wear the national shirts of other countries does not grow the game or player pool around the world.

BTW - I am fully aware of why Tonga and Samoa do this due to their low populations but they should at least play games in their home country.

Latest posts