What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So where will the money be spent?

possm

Coach
Widdops salary is not needed to fund Norman, we already have them both this year and next year Normans salary only goes up $200K. We should have about $650k extra from Widdop leaving next year and after paying Norman.

We have signed them both but not necessarily have funds for them both. When Widdop leaves at the end of 2019, the will be cap space to fund the full cost of Norman. Right now Parramatta are subsidising Normans salary. The full cost of Norman and Widdop is very similar.

Left over salary saved with the exit of Nightingale, McDonald and Mann and possibly Aitken and Lafai will be the pot available to upgrade our backline. Hopefully some of our young guns will step up making it easier to fund a talented backline with speed. I'm hoping Pearson, Lomax and one more young winger will step up in 2019 and thus secure a long term contract.

Carlton

Juniors
We have signed them both but not necessarily have funds for them both. When Widdop leaves at the end of 2019, the will be cap space to fund the full cost of Norman. Right now Parramatta are subsidising Normans salary. The full cost of Norman and Widdop is very similar.

Left over salary saved with the exit of Nightingale, McDonald and Mann and possibly Aitken and Lafai will be the pot available to upgrade our backline. Hopefully some of our young guns will step up making it easier to fund a talented backline with speed. I'm hoping Pearson, Lomax and one more young winger will step up in 2019 and thus secure a long term contract.

We have already signed them both this year and have the funds for them. Parramatta are not funding more than $200K to $250K of Norman this year. It has been reported that he is being paid $500k by us this year and then it increases to $700k when parramatta are no longer contributing.

That means that Widdops $850K is only being used for $200k on Norman next year. Next year this leaves $650k available from Widdops departure and Normans signing.

Now for arguments sake lets say Widdop and Norman will both be paid similar amounts next year. This would still free up $500k because instead of Widdop $850k and Norman $500k all we have is Norman on $850k.

Whichever way you look at it this will make available a significant amount of cap next year.

watatank

Coach
Norman will get a lot of it. Hopefully some goes towards keeping Lawrie and Robson and I think we will try upgrade/extend Lomax again.

Finding a middle forward as a replacement for De Belin/Graham can come out of their salaries if it comes to it.

Besides that, hopefully a better young fullback.

possm

Coach
Norman will get a lot of it. Hopefully some goes towards keeping Lawrie and Robson and I think we will try upgrade/extend Lomax again.

Finding a middle forward as a replacement for De Belin/Graham can come out of their salaries if it comes to it.

You are right, but replacing De Belin is a difficult one. Not only is he one of a kind who will be very difficult to replace on a like for like basis, he is also the recipient of SGI's long service salary cap grant - approximately 300k.

I'm not sure who else in the team would qualify for the long service grant.

watatank

Coach
You are right, but replacing De Belin is a difficult one. Not only is he one of a kind who will be very difficult to replace on a like for like basis, he is also the recipient of SGI's long service salary cap grant - approximately 300k.

We wouldn't replace De Belin for a like for like replacement. We'll be asking Frizell and KSims to step up as middle forwards, maybe trying to convince Graham to play another season and then looking for another replacement.

George Dragon

Juniors

300k is a nothing amount
It includes long term club 8 years
Long term NRL 10 years
And players developed by the club.
So even if JDB was getting all of it, it could easily go to re-signing Dufty.
But more than likely it is spread over several players.
Dufty Field Lomax Host Lawrie Robson even Latimore

Carlton

Juniors

I dont understand this thinking that Norman will get a lot of the money freed up when Widdop leaves. When Widdop leaves there will be about $650k of salary cap made available and this is after factoring in Norman being here next year.

This is not a disaster, it is a great opportunity to strategically strengthen the roster. What I dont want to see is this money being flung around to keep every junior we have just because they are our juniors. I want to see the club be cut throat about who they keep and clever about who they buy.

If a junior is really looking like they are in the elite class, then sure try to keep them within reason. Dont keep those juniors that look like they are going to be servicable first graders, find a replacement with more potential.

watatank

Coach
I dont understand this thinking that Norman will get a lot of the money freed up when Widdop leaves. When Widdop leaves there will be about $650k of salary cap made available and this is after factoring in Norman being here next year.

This is not a disaster, it is a great opportunity to strategically strengthen the roster. What I dont want to see is this money being flung around to keep every junior we have just because they are our juniors. I want to see the club be cut throat about who they keep and clever about who they buy.

If a junior is really looking like they are in the elite class, then sure try to keep them within reason. Dont keep those juniors that look like they are going to be servicable first graders, find a replacement with more potential.

We also need a fullback and if we are going to get a decent one we will need space for that. the players we keep will be getting upgrades plus replacements for who we let go. We will also be thinking about what graham does too.

Carlton

Juniors
We also need a fullback and if we are going to get a decent one we will need space for that. the players we keep will be getting upgrades plus replacements for who we let go. We will also be thinking about what graham does too.

Agree 100%, but Widdop leaving leaves us with $650k next year, if we let Lafai and Aitken go we probably have another $800k, Graham not playing would free up another $600K??, then there is the increase in the salary cap.

We could be in a great position next year to sign a fullback, a centre, a prop (if needed) and upgrade judiciously. Will our young props step up, that is the question, but if they do, we are looking pretty good.

possm

Coach
There’s no point speculating until Saints finally recruit a successful coach.

On this Saint_JimmyG we do agree. It is my tip that 2019 is Mary's and his coaching staff's last season.

A top class fullback and left centre is what we really need to balance our backline. For 2019, Widdop at fullback and Lafai at left centre may just do the job.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Is this an attempt at Braille or are you demanding the Cone of Silence?

cone_title.gif

red rocket

Juniors

Job ain't going nowhere

coastiedragon

Juniors
Dont know how true but ive heard through a mate currently playing in nsw cup that latrell Mitchell is not happy with the treatment of his brother shaq lomax, latrell centre pairing sounds pretty good

Frank Facer

First Grade
Dont know how true but ive heard through a mate currently playing in nsw cup that latrell Mitchell is not happy with the treatment of his brother shaq lomax, latrell centre pairing sounds pretty good
How about Mitchell at fullback? or is he bulking up too much for fullback now? He is off contract at the end of 2020, with Widdop's departure, we would have the cash to throw at him. He is looking like he will be the premier centre in the game, but there is more money on offer for top line fullbacks and Mitchell could fit the bill.

I am still hopeful of a centre pairing of Lomax and Marsters by 2020.