What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So where will the money be spent?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Is this an attempt at Braille or are you demanding the Cone of Silence?

cone_title.gif

It’s arguably his best ever post.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
On this Saint_JimmyG we do agree. It is my tip that 2019 is Mary's and his coaching staff's last season.

A top class fullback and left centre is what we really need to balance our backline. For 2019, Widdop at fullback and Lafai at left centre may just do the job.

Tip or hope?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Tip or hope?
Mary has had more than enough time as coach, with no success to speak of. His time should have been up years ago. I really don't think they can give him much more time than they already have, so it wouldn't be a bad tip. The only problem is that I can't think of any good coaches that are available now.

watatank

Coach
Agree 100%, but Widdop leaving leaves us with $650k next year, if we let Lafai and Aitken go we probably have another $800k, Graham not playing would free up another $600K??, then there is the increase in the salary cap.

We could be in a great position next year to sign a fullback, a centre, a prop (if needed) and upgrade judiciously. Will our young props step up, that is the question, but if they do, we are looking pretty good.

My point was that we already took Widdop leaving into account when we signed Norman, so that's where most of Widdop's money will go after this year. I'm not saying we won't have "650K" in cap space but that's going to comprise of the cap space we would have had before we signed Norman (Dufty, Mann and everyone else off contract) plus the difference between Widdop and Norman's salaries (say 200K). If you think of it that way, we might not have as much as you think.

Cap space could potentially be created if Lafai and/or Aitken were to move on, or Graham retires, as well as De Belin is sacked and who knows what else, but I'm not going to speculate on that.

Carlton

Juniors
My point was that we already took Widdop leaving into account when we signed Norman, so that's where most of Widdop's money will go after this year. I'm not saying we won't have "650K" in cap space but that's going to comprise of the cap space we would have had before we signed Norman (Dufty, Mann and everyone else off contract) plus the difference between Widdop and Norman's salaries (say 200K). If you think of it that way, we might not have as much as you think.

Cap space could potentially be created if Lafai and/or Aitken were to move on, or Graham retires, as well as De Belin is sacked and who knows what else, but I'm not going to speculate on that.

The fact is we have both Widdop and Norman this year, next year we lose Widdop (-$850k) and pay Norman Parramatta's contibution ($+200K), that means there is $650k of salary cap freed up next year.

Do we upgrade Dufty, maybe, but I would be looking for a more complete player. Thats why they were looking at Hayne. In this scenario we may lose Dufty, more cap freed. Lose Aitken and Lafai more cap freed up, if Graham doesn't play more cap space freed up.

Without even taking into account the increase in salary cap we could have $2.5 million of salary cap freed up. Buy a fullback, buy a centre and do some judicial upgrading.

Let some of the older ISP players go like Allgood and Nicholls and buy young players with promise to replace them. Dont overly worry about winning ISP, use it as the lead into first grade.

watatank

Coach
The fact is we have both Widdop and Norman this year, next year we lose Widdop (-$850k) and pay Norman Parramatta's contibution ($+200K), that means there is $650k of salary cap freed up next year.

Do we upgrade Dufty, maybe, but I would be looking for a more complete player. Thats why they were looking at Hayne. In this scenario we may lose Dufty, more cap freed. Lose Aitken and Lafai more cap freed up, if Graham doesn't play more cap space freed up.

Without even taking into account the increase in salary cap we could have $2.5 million of salary cap freed up. Buy a fullback, buy a centre and do some judicial upgrading.

Let some of the older ISP players go like Allgood and Nicholls and buy young players with promise to replace them. Dont overly worry about winning ISP, use it as the lead into first grade.

You say that like we have all this cap space that we didn't expect.

At this stage the 650K goes towards Dufty (or someone better), Lawrie (or someone better), Robson (or another utility) and replacing the other squad players with someone else of similar pay. We could have more if players leave (for whatever reason) but we already speculate enough.

possm

Coach

At this stage the 650K goes towards Dufty (or someone better), Lawrie (or someone better), Robson (or another utility) and replacing the other squad players with someone else of similar pay. We could have more if players leave (for whatever reason) but we already speculate enough.
In 2018 we had surplus cap which was used to font end some players. Thet means in 2019 we had extra cap available - who knows how much because these figures are not made public. However, to assume we have cap for next year and the following years just because we have cap this year is a mistake.

I'm sure that many clubs who fit in a roster in the current year will face the prospect of having to let more costly players go and recruit cheaper players to meet salary cap in the following year. Just because we contract players over so many years does not mean we set aside funds in for those commitments. Budgets are tweaked from year to year and the appropriate adjustments are made accordingly.

Carlton

Juniors

In no way am I trying to imply that this cap space was unexpected. What I am saying is that
-it will be there next year
-Norman has not put us under cap space pressure next year and
-that with some sensible strategies weaknesses in the roster could be -successfully addressed.

Of course the cap is going to be spent next year on a fullback, on upgrades, this is exactly what I said. Lastly this is not speculation, by Widdop leaving next year there is $850k freed up of which Norman will use $200k leaving $650k that is being used this year but wont be used (at this stage) next year.