What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons sign Korbin Sims

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I know Ashton had a bit of a bad game but at least he tried to fire up the Broncos
If he and Tariq have an “ on “ game , we will be very hard to beat in 2019.

Just wish we could wind back the clock and play Manly again with Willie Mason , with these boys plus Graham etc in the team .

My bad - Korbin !!!
Don't you mean Newcastle with Willie mason.

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc03687.jpg

DRAGONS

Reunited Sims brothers happy to step on each other's toes
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 20 Nov 2018, 06:47 PM
walterbrad-head.png

It was an early morning swim in Wollongong last week that convinced St George Illawarra forward Tariq Sims how much he was looking forward to playing alongside brother Korbin next season.

"It was just as the sun was coming up and I thought, 'we haven't done this since we were teenagers'," Sims said.

"It was one of those moments that made you think about the times when we used to go for early morning surfs before school. I just thought 'wow, it has been so long since we have done something like this', so it was nice."

Growing up in Gerringong and playing juniors for the Illawarra Steelers, it seemed inevitable that Tariq and Korbin would advance through the ranks to St George Illawarra's NRL team.

Korbin was a ball boy for the Dragons at the age of 13, when elder brother Ashton played for the club and coach Paul McGregor was a trainer.

However, it has been a decade since he trained at WIN Stadium and the 26-year-old has never pulled on a Red V jersey.

Dragons' top five tries of 2018

"I've got a lot of fond memories of this place, I used to watch Ashton play here as well and now I've got a chance to wear the same jersey as my two brothers," Korbin said.

"I always thought I was going to be up in Brisbane for a while but obviously that didn't work out and I have got an opportunity here now that hopefully I will be able to do the club and the fans of the Red V proud, and do my family proud as well."

I am sure if you hang around training you will see some brotherly love

Tariq Sims on brother Korbin
With the Dragons enjoying a successful 2018 season in which they led the Telstra Premiership until round 16 and had four forwards in the victorious NSW Origin team, Korbin said his decision to join the club was for football reasons but his family connection made it an easy choice.

"It was a business decision and it has made it easier coming to a club like this, where they had a great season this year and obviously my mates and family are still here so it was an easy decision in the end," he said.

"It's been good so far, being back near the beach and with mum and dad only half-an-hour down the road so it has been an easy transition."

While Tariq knew that Korbin was in the Dragons sights after being quizzed by McGregor about his brother, the 28-year-old Blues second- rower only learned that he had signed when told by the club that they were going to make an announcement.

They had previously played together for Brisbane, Newcastle and Fiji but there was no love lost when Tariq ironed out Korbin in last season's elimination final and the competitiveness between the brothers is expected to be a feature at Dragons training.

"I am sure if you hang around training you will see some brotherly love but it is just one of those things where we push each other's buttons," Tariq said.

181115-training_0111.jpg

Korbin Sims training with the Dragons. :copyright:dragons.com.au
"We like the same things and we dislike similar things so it is only a matter of time before we step on each other's toes.

"What brings the best out in people is someone who is going to push you in every training session. That is what I am going to do and that is what he will do as well."

Korbin is an ideal replacement for New Zealand forward Leeson Ah Mau, who has returned home to join the Warriors but Tariq warned he would have to fight for a position in a forward pack brimming with talent and experience.

"Korbin's focus should be just fighting for a bench spot and focusing on what he can bring to the team," he said.

"I know what he can bring to the team, but it's up to him to show Mary what he can bring to the team and add to our strike power.

"Korbin is a really great defender and I'm pretty excited to see him and Jack de Belin standing next to each other and cut someone in half.

"He needs to earn his stripes before he can push for a starting role, he has got to bide his time and he might have to sit on the pine for a little bit but I know how competitive he is so he will be pushing for a starting spot for sure."

St George Illawarra in 2019
Where will the Dragons finish?

St George Illawarra in 2019 Where will the Dragons finish?
  • They'll be premiers
    0%
  • In the finals but no title
    0%
  • Just miss out on the playoffs
    0%
  • Around the bottom of the ladder
    0%
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/11/21/reunited-sims-brothers-happy-to-step-on-each-others-toes/

getsmarty

Immortal
Korbin Sims to take field for St George Illawarra Dragons against Brisbane
Dragons Den
r0_0_6500_4333_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

New colours: Korbin Sims is set to play for the Dragons in Thursday NRL clash against Brisbane. Picture: Grant Trouville
When Korbin Sims arrived in Wollongong, brother Tariq warned he would need to be patient.

After all, he was coming into a forward pack already boasting Tyson Frizell, Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Tariq as representative star power.

But having served his two-week suspension from the Broncos' elimination final loss to the Dragons back in September, Sims comes now in with a greater sense of expectation.

St George Illawarra's new-look spine has come under heavy fire after consecutive losses, but Sims will instantly be the man most likely to properly fill the void left by Frizell and de Belin's absence, a combined 291 games. And he's probably the most like-for-like player to de Belin, who trained with the Dragons on Monday but has been stood down by the NRL while facing rape charges from a night out in December.

Josh Kerr, who made his NRL debut against Souths and Blake Lawrie, who has played just 16 career games have had to try and fill the void left.

At 27, Sims has now played 120 NRL games since making his debut in 2013 and is intent on making an impact against his former club Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday night.

"I think that's what I bring," Sims said.

"I'm still young, but I've got experience behind me, so hopefully that helps in any way, shape or form.

"I know when I was coming into first grade, the older guys help me a lot.

"Obviously we're a pretty young pack, but we've got plenty of desire and hunger about us that we'll be able to bounce back soon."

Tevita Pangai Junior was particularly damaging, scoring a try in Brisbane's impressive win over North Queensland on Friday, while debutant Thomas Flegler made his mark with 196 run metres.

The Dragons' offloading and ball movement worried the Rabbitohs big men in the first half on Thursday, but Souths then overwhelmed them, winning 34-18.

Sims had played in the Dragons two trial games, but has cooled his heels as penance for a dangerous tackle on Lawrie in the Broncos' crushing 48-18 elimination final loss.

"I'm just more excited, not so much to play against the Broncos, but to be playing footy in general," Sims said.

"I didn't want to leave Brisbane, but professionally it wasn't going to work for me to stay up there.

"Obiously I wasn't going to get re-signed, so it made it easier that Gerringong is only half an hour from where I'm living, my home town and my older brother (Tariq) being here as well."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...er-sims-is-ready-to-fire-for-dragons/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Korbin Sims gears up for memorable night
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 26 Mar 2019, 04:39 PM

After 120 NRL matches and a handful of International appearances, Korbin Sims has played in some big matches during his career. But his debut for the St George Illawarra Dragons on Thursday night will be one to remember.

Not only will the 27-year-old Gerringong native be making his Dragons debut against his former team, the Brisbane Broncos. It will also be the first time in over two years he graces the field alongside brother, Tariq Sims.

As-well-as playing five games together for the Fiji Bati in the 2013 Rugby League World Cup, the intimidating brotherly duo both represented the Newcastle Knights, with their last joint-outing coming in round 12 2016 before Tariq made a mid-season switch to the Dragons.

While on opposite sides of the park, the tightly knit brothers fought out some entertaining battles but Korbin is looking forward to once again wearing the same jersey as his older brother.

“I’m looking forward to getting back out there with him this year instead of against him,” Korbin said.

“We played together in Newcastle a number of years ago and I really enjoyed my time there before we obviously both went our separate ways.

“But we’re finally back in the Red V together and I’m really looking forward to it.”

After sitting out the opening two rounds while completing a suspension carried over from last year, Korbin’s first game for the Dragons is against his old team, the Brisbane Broncos.

Sims played 44 matches and scored nine tries for the Queensland based side but doesn’t feel any added pressure lining up against his former teammates.

“I haven’t really spoken to anyone up there just yet,” he said.

“It is going to be a tough game regardless of if it's my old team or not.

“I’m just looking forward to getting back out onto the paddock and getting into my game routine for the week.”

With his suspension finally over and his seventh NRL pre-season under his belt, Sims is looking forward to getting his season underway.

“I get pretty antsy on the sidelines,” he said.

“Especially when I’m watching on TV I watch it fairly closely.

“But we're hoping to turn it around this weekend.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/26/korbin-sims-gears-up-for-memorable-night/

getsmarty

Immortal
simsk-celeb-190328703-sd.jpg

DRAGONS

Sims vows to fix the 'unacceptable' parts of game
Author
Joel Gould NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 30 Mar 2019, 02:01 PM
gouldjoe-head.png

Dragons forward Korbin Sims ticked the redemption box, and now has his sights set on eradicating the "unacceptable" areas in his game after a triumphant return to Suncorp Stadium against his former club.

The 27-year-old walked out of the stadium on Thursday night after scoring a crucial try in the 25-24 win over the Brisbane Broncos all smiles, contrasting with the disconsolate figure he cut after the 48-18 loss to St George Illawarra in his last game for Brisbane in 2018.

Nothing went right for Sims in that semi-final defeat last September and to add insult to his injured pride he received a two-match suspension on the back of it for a dangerous tackle, so when he sang the team song on Thursday night for the first time with the Dragons it was also a redemption song.

Sims is far from satisfied with that and knows coach Paul McGregor does not want a repeat of the several penalties he gave away.

"[McGregor] gave me a clear focus of what I needed to do in the game and I did it the best that I could, but there are a fair few areas I need to improve on. I don't think I played well or to my own standards but you've got to start somewhere," Sims said after the win.

"I gave away two or three penalties which was unacceptable. There was a dropped ball close to the line and a stray pass here or there that I am not happy about.

Match Highlights: Broncos v Dragons

"I felt like I played a lot better than I did in my last game here at Suncorp. That was a very emotional game for me that last one, obviously being my last one for the Brisbane Broncos, and I didn't play to my potential in that game.

"It is nice to come out, obviously in the opposite side, and play well. It is good for the Dragons supporters to see.

"I spoke to my brother Tariq about spending time on the sideline at the start of the year because he's done it for two years in a row with suspension. I knew I had to bide my time and keep training well. Mary showed me a bit of faith by putting me straight back in the 17 and there are plenty of good things to come."

McGregor was impressed with the energy and impact of Sims and, while not pleased with the penalties, understood why he was wound up.

"It is always the way when you play against your old team. You want to play with passion and you want to make it personal," McGregor said.

"You've just got to handle the emotion side of it. Korbin did some really good things and unfortunately there was a couple of penalties that we need to clean up, but that is collectively with all of us."

So impressed was Dragons prop Paul Vaughan with Sims in his first game for the Red V that he sought him out after the game to tell him he was "a great inclusion".

"I sat down with Korbin after the game and had a beer with him, and I told him that his leg speed and powerful running is really going to help us this season, so I am looking forward to getting a nice combination with Korbin whether he is off the bench or starting," Vaughan told NRL.com.

Match: Broncos v Dragons

Round 3 - Thursday 28th March

Full Time

Home Team

Broncos

Scored 24 points

Away Team

Dragons

Scored 25 points

Venue: Suncorp Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Fox League
  • LIVE PASS
"He's going to make a great impact for the team with his power and leg speed."

For his part, Sims vowed not to let Vaughan down.

"I am really excited about what this pack can do this year and Paul is going to be the front-runner leading the way," Sims said.

"I want to play on the back of that and get some good go-forward for the side. He starts it, and I will come on and try and keep it going."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/30/sims-vows-to-fix-the-unacceptable-parts-of-game/

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
simsk-celeb-190328703-sd.jpg

DRAGONS

Sims vows to fix the 'unacceptable' parts of game
Author
Joel Gould NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 30 Mar 2019, 02:01 PM
gouldjoe-head.png

Dragons forward Korbin Sims ticked the redemption box, and now has his sights set on eradicating the "unacceptable" areas in his game after a triumphant return to Suncorp Stadium against his former club.

The 27-year-old walked out of the stadium on Thursday night after scoring a crucial try in the 25-24 win over the Brisbane Broncos all smiles, contrasting with the disconsolate figure he cut after the 48-18 loss to St George Illawarra in his last game for Brisbane in 2018.

Nothing went right for Sims in that semi-final defeat last September and to add insult to his injured pride he received a two-match suspension on the back of it for a dangerous tackle, so when he sang the team song on Thursday night for the first time with the Dragons it was also a redemption song.

Sims is far from satisfied with that and knows coach Paul McGregor does not want a repeat of the several penalties he gave away.

"[McGregor] gave me a clear focus of what I needed to do in the game and I did it the best that I could, but there are a fair few areas I need to improve on. I don't think I played well or to my own standards but you've got to start somewhere," Sims said after the win.

"I gave away two or three penalties which was unacceptable. There was a dropped ball close to the line and a stray pass here or there that I am not happy about.

Match Highlights: Broncos v Dragons

"I felt like I played a lot better than I did in my last game here at Suncorp. That was a very emotional game for me that last one, obviously being my last one for the Brisbane Broncos, and I didn't play to my potential in that game.

"It is nice to come out, obviously in the opposite side, and play well. It is good for the Dragons supporters to see.

"I spoke to my brother Tariq about spending time on the sideline at the start of the year because he's done it for two years in a row with suspension. I knew I had to bide my time and keep training well. Mary showed me a bit of faith by putting me straight back in the 17 and there are plenty of good things to come."

McGregor was impressed with the energy and impact of Sims and, while not pleased with the penalties, understood why he was wound up.

"It is always the way when you play against your old team. You want to play with passion and you want to make it personal," McGregor said.

"You've just got to handle the emotion side of it. Korbin did some really good things and unfortunately there was a couple of penalties that we need to clean up, but that is collectively with all of us."

So impressed was Dragons prop Paul Vaughan with Sims in his first game for the Red V that he sought him out after the game to tell him he was "a great inclusion".

"I sat down with Korbin after the game and had a beer with him, and I told him that his leg speed and powerful running is really going to help us this season, so I am looking forward to getting a nice combination with Korbin whether he is off the bench or starting," Vaughan told NRL.com.

Match: Broncos v Dragons

Round 3 - Thursday 28th March

Full Time

Home Team

Broncos

Scored 24 points

Away Team

Dragons

Scored 25 points

Venue: Suncorp Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Fox League
  • LIVE PASS
"He's going to make a great impact for the team with his power and leg speed."

For his part, Sims vowed not to let Vaughan down.

"I am really excited about what this pack can do this year and Paul is going to be the front-runner leading the way," Sims said.

"I want to play on the back of that and get some good go-forward for the side. He starts it, and I will come on and try and keep it going."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/30/sims-vows-to-fix-the-unacceptable-parts-of-game/

Those “unacceptable” parts came from over enthusiasm, and a desire to do well. This only demonstrates Sims is a passionate bloke who fully embodies a team first attitude.

There isn’t anything wrong with this:

I feel in time he will be a fantastic addition to the squad.

Water11

Juniors
Trust morn to keep him on.His recovery will take longer because of that.

Where’s JDB?We need him now.

Tremendous courage by Korbin to play on after suffering a serious injury.

What ticks me off is hearing Mary effectively state Korbin wanted to stay on so we decided to let him work through the injury.

Why is it that thousands of people could see he had suffered a serious injury, but our muppets left it to Korbin to decide whether he could continue.

The guy was tackling with one arm !!

As far as I am concerned Pickworth is just another “Yes” man.