What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We can win the Premiership......

jargan83

Coach
Wins a win and I'll take it.

The Bulldogs are garbage this year but with their record against us I wasn't confident going in.

I don't think Mary has learned how to use his bench yet.

denis preston

First Grade
We saw the same thing last year. Yesterday was great fun, but Mary proved again, with his bench management, why we will be tired in the second half of the season. Something has to change, especially as quite a few will be in line for Origin.

Yes, with Lomax & Lulia he used 3 interchanges for about 25 minutes of play time ?

Aitkin went well yesterday but again rav only scored due to a Hunt cut out pass.Add another game to his drought in try assists.It is starting to show out like dog balls that Aitkin is too good to drop but you would somewhat restrict his deficiencies by playing him interchange so he can cover all positions except the front row/ hooker .

ebbedfred

Bench
If only we can play that dogs side every week we'd be a top 4 team.

I think we'll find out on Anzac day where we really are. Roosters seem way out in front, then daylight, then the storm, we are somewhere after that at the moment with most other teams, but, we are defintely improving.
Our backs are so much more effective when our forwards dominate. I know most other teams would fall in that basket too, but for us our best and worse is so far apart and it seems our forwards dictate which end of that spectrum we fall on.

kit66

Bench
...if today represents a blueprint for the rest of the year:
Forwards dominating
Hunt & Norman giving each room needed to flourish
Defence resembling the Bennett era
Pride in the jersey

Sure, it’s only the Bulldogs and they have owned us way too many times but not today.

This green whistle is some good sh*t...

Honestly we should have won last year. Bennett or Bellyache would have got that team over the line. It was our best opportunity in years but we blew it. Note: I don't blame the boys.
I'm not saying we can't win it this year. If the boys put on a show like that each week and we don't have any more injuries ,anything is possible. Still I'm thinking we need one more big guy making big metres and getting quick play the balls. Come Origin that will become more apparent.

Old Timer

Coach
Good to see this thread has remained positive(the obvious intention).
Glass half full never hurt anyone. Long suffering fans deserve wins like that.
Enjoy it.
Yes indeed enjoy the win but don't cloud it with statements about winning the comp.
We have had 2 x 1 point wins against mediocre sides and put a score on the wooden spooners who played 1 of the competition heavy weights the week before and in amongst it we lost to the side coming 2nd last.
So indeed let's enjoy the win but stop with the unnecessary hype about how good we are going.

Life's Good

Coach
Yes indeed enjoy the win but don't cloud it with statements about winning the comp.
We have had 2 x 1 point wins against mediocre sides and put a score on the wooden spooners who played 1 of the competition heavy weights the week before and in amongst it we lost to the side coming 2nd last.
So indeed let's enjoy the win but stop with the unnecessary hype about how good we are going.

Its written in the same context as comments denouncing us as wooden spoon contenders or abject failures. You'll notice I used the rider 'if' and pointed out how well we did yesterday. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old Timer

Coach
Its written in the same context as comments denouncing us as wooden spoon contenders or abject failures. You'll notice I used the rider 'if' and pointed out how well we did yesterday. Nothing more, nothing less.
Your thread title is pretty emphatic and it is such early assumptions that will get coach his next 3 year extension.
On what we have seen thus far IMO we need to do much much more before I would entertain such a notion as to winning of the comp.
I'll be more than happy to get on board if we can get a 75% win result against Storm, Roosters, Raiders, Souths who have emerged as a heavy weights thus far.

Life's Good

Coach
Your thread title is pretty emphatic and it is such early assumptions that will get coach his next 3 year extension.
On what we have seen thus far IMO we need to do much much more before I would entertain such a notion as to winning of the comp.
I'll be more than happy to get on board if we can get a 75% win result against Storm, Roosters, Raiders, Souths who have emerged as a heavy weights thus far.

Well it was a pretty emphatic win against a team we usually have the wobbles against. I agree we have a long way to go and any talk of the premiership, at this stage of the year is premature. I'm just enjoying the moment.

And dont worry, I hold no weight with the club so this thread cant be used as leverage for Supercoach to get a new contract.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
4.5 wins out of those 6 games seems like an achievable feat..

Old Timer

Coach
Well it was a pretty emphatic win against a team we usually have the wobbles against. I agree we have a long way to go and any talk of the premiership, at this stage of the year is premature. I'm just enjoying the moment.

And dont worry, I hold no weight with the club so this thread cant be used as leverage for Supercoach to get a new contract.
As you are one of the more sensible posters I’m sure your opinion would be valued
I agree it was a win to enjoy and hopefully we will contest against the better teams.

Dragonsamy

Bench
I'm loving the way we're going at the moment and enjoying the ride I will not get too carried away as yet but I will be at Wollongong on Saturday to support the boys against Manly for the third consecutive win.
Yes Roosters and Storm are the yardsticks. Everybody else at the moment is in the hunt but let's see what happens in a few weeks time

Last edited:

18to87

First Grade
Yes, with Lomax & Lulia he used 3 interchanges for about 25 minutes of play time ?

Aitkin went well yesterday but again rav only scored due to a Hunt cut out pass.Add another game to his drought in try assists.It is starting to show out like dog balls that Aitkin is too good to drop but you would somewhat restrict his deficiencies by playing him interchange so he can cover all positions except the front row/ hooker .
Totally agree but it won't happen, unfortunately. Mary seems to be quite devoted to keeping team harmony and during the offseason, he seems to have responded to Aitken's displeasure about being dropped last year by giving him the position. Aitken is basically a veteran and more likely to disrupt team harmony than Lomax who is still relatively unproven. It's a real shame because I am not sure I can think of another team where Lomax would not be pushed into a starting role.

Glenn012

Juniors
This team still has a lack of speed problem. Dufty is the only really fast guy. The forwards with JDB are as far as I can see, by far the best in the competition. A starting pack of Graham, Vaughan, McInnes, Frizz, Sims, JDB with K. Sims, Host, Leilua, Lawrie, Robson fighting for 3 spots on the bench is an embarrassment of riches.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
When Lomax scored his try, people started chanting his name in the grandstand...I've been going to the footy for 30 years and can't recall the last time fans chanted the name of one player.
Tim Onside is a crowd favourite at most grounds..

I’ve never seen him play before, but every game I hear fans calling out to get him..

Latest posts