What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths v Easts will be the greatest grand final in history

BranVan3000

Coach
2009 Prelim Semi Parramatta V Canterbury Crowd: 74,549

2010 Prelim Semi St George Illawarra V Wests Tigers Crowd: 71,927

2014 Prelim Semi Souths V Easts Crowd: 52,592

Same game, same venue all within the space of 5 years. The ‘biggest rivarly’ Got 20,000 less then 4 other Sydney clubs got. No one cares about your so called rivalry, not even the clubs own fans apparently
I think it’s worth noting that during that period saw some massive price hikes in NRL ticket prices. We don’t see any non-GF games getting 70k anymore regardless of who is playing

Valheru

Coach
Also. Greatest Grand Final really comes down to the quality of the match and the closeness of it. Souths, Sharks, Roosters Grand Finals were all memorable for their fans but neutrals will only remember the Cowboys Grand Final in the decades to come

The 2015 GF being a quality game is a complete myth. It was an absolute borathon until the last 5 minutes.

For me 2013 is the best quality GF in the last 10 years.

Valheru

Coach
No bias detected

2010 was much better

Genuine opinion.

I don't think 2018 was of high quality. Our performance was great but Melbourne were ordinary.

2010 was similar to 2018. Dragons were a class above. Ditto 2014 and 2017 with south's and storm respectively

2016 is next best in last 10 years IMO and then probably 2009 but that obviously has an asterisk.

The highest quality GF I have seen is 2003 and we lost that one.

Reflector

Juniors
Raiders v Titans it is then- lock it in, Eddie!

Going to book my seat tomorrow right in front of the Raiders' coaches box. Whatever the score, watching Ricky carry on is something I'll be telling the grandkids about...

TIGER14

Bench
Is there a bigger myth than the Souths/Roosters rivalry? Like, if there was so much 'hatred' - where are the fans whenever they play each other? Or whenever they play generally. Success is wasted on these two teams.

All rivalrys are a myth.
No team hates another. It's not like the old days where you'd grow up playing for your local junior club and go through the grades.
These days players are mercenaries and just play for whoever will pay them the most.

t-ba

Post Whore
All rivalrys are a myth.
No team hates another. It's not like the old days where you'd grow up playing for your local junior club and go through the grades.
These days players are mercenaries and just play for whoever will pay them the most.

Can't blame them for that.

If my earning potential was limited to under a decade I would be a mercenary too!

Danish

Referee

Same game, same venue all within the space of 5 years. The ‘biggest rivarly’ Got 20,000 less then 4 other Sydney clubs got. No one cares about your so called rivalry, not even the clubs own fans apparently

to be fair the tigers and eels only make the finals about once a decade, so their bandwagons were in full force those years.

Souths roosters got just a touch under 60K at the same ground 12 months prior for a regular season match. Can't recall the last time any other sydney clubs have done that.

Danish

Referee
All rivalrys are a myth.

In the old days players played for whichever club could set them up with the best house and "job"

Vic Mackey

Referee
to be fair the tigers and eels only make the finals about once a decade, so their bandwagons were in full force those years.

Souths roosters got just a touch under 60K at the same ground 12 months prior for a regular season match. Can't recall the last time any other sydney clubs have done that.

Bandwagon? Both regularly average higher crowds then the Roosters despite never making the finals and the Roosters never missing. A few years ago the Tigers had the highest crowd averages out of all Sydney clubs, ina year they missed the semis.

If the Roosters missed the finals 8 years in a row theyd be lucky to get 3k to a game

Danish

Referee
Bandwagon? Both regularly average higher crowds then the Roosters despite never making the finals and the Roosters never missing. A few years ago the Tigers had the highest crowd averages out of all Sydney clubs, ina year they missed the semis.

If the Roosters missed the finals 8 years in a row theyd be lucky to get 3k to a game

Yes, bandwagon. All teams have a finals bandwagon, hence why finals games draw more than regular season games.

If the roosters miss the finals for 8 years in a row it would probably mean politis has been dead for 5

Cogburn

Juniors

Hahaha nice try but no cigar. The East's South's prelim was played at the SFS in front of a record SFS crowd. The other games were at ANZ.

Latest posts