What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foxtel to cut Rugby?

Travitoh

First Grade
I think it has to be Ch9 and Ch10 FTA coverage and Foxtel simulcast of all. Plus surely the sweetener has to be GF and Origins to Foxtel simulcast.

The next step i believe will be selling SOO as a seperate package.

flippikat

Bench
Tbh it’s hard to see that the massive tv revenue increases of the last two deals has made an equally massive positive impact on the game. The money seems to be pssed away anyways so a slight reduction might not have that bad an impact on the game overall.

There's maybe another bright side to it too - it might be the factor that *finally* encourages the NRL to expand.

Look at the other codes in the winter market...

Super Rugby has no appetite for Australian expansion (or expansion anywhere, come to think of it). There's going to be nothing new to offer broadcasters unless NZ Rugby loosen eligibility and allow All Blacks to play for Aussie teams.

AFL have very few expansion options left - and most of them are either markets that are woefully small (Tasmania, NT, Newcastle, North Qld), or run the risk or diluting current supporter bases/derbies (3rd Perth or WA team, 3rd Sydney team, 3rd Adelaide team)

Yet the NRL has huge TV value expansion options aplenty - 2 big metropolitan centres (Perth & later Adelaide), 2nd team in Brisbane for a derby there, 2nd NZ team, and eventually (in the long run) a possible 2nd Melbourne team. Through the sheer inertia of previous management, we're actually in a powerful bargaining position!

Shark62

Juniors
There's maybe another bright side to it too - it might be the factor that *finally* encourages the NRL to expand.

Look at the other codes in the winter market...

Super Rugby has no appetite for Australian expansion (or expansion anywhere, come to think of it). There's going to be nothing new to offer broadcasters unless NZ Rugby loosen eligibility and allow All Blacks to play for Aussie teams.

AFL have very few expansion options left - and most of them are either markets that are woefully small (Tasmania, NT, Newcastle, North Qld), or run the risk or diluting current supporter bases/derbies (3rd Perth or WA team, 3rd Sydney team, 3rd Adelaide team)

Yet the NRL has huge TV value expansion options aplenty - 2 big metropolitan centres (Perth & later Adelaide), 2nd team in Brisbane for a derby there, 2nd NZ team, and eventually (in the long run) a possible 2nd Melbourne team. Through the sheer inertia of previous management, we're actually in a powerful bargaining position!
Yep. Purely by accident, a lack of vision and laziness we are in a position of strength. You are spot on. It’s quite amusing.

flippikat

Bench
Yep. Purely by accident, a lack of vision and laziness we are in a position of strength. You are spot on. It’s quite amusing.

The irony is hilarious. We may actually be rewarded as a result of past ineptitude, while AFL have exhausted all their most valuable expansion options already.

Shark62

Juniors
The irony is hilarious. We may actually be rewarded as a result of past ineptitude, while AFL have exhausted all their most valuable expansion options already.
That’s why they tried New Zealand. And it’s why they are pushing the women’s game so hard. The sport is facing a dead end unless it builds a new market. It has no bidders.

We’ve got new markets knocking on our doors in both hemispheres. It’s about time we answered them positively.

I live in hope.

Tiger5150

Bench
Tbh it’s hard to see that the massive tv revenue increases of the last two deals has made an equally massive positive impact on the game. The money seems to be pssed away anyways so a slight reduction might not have that bad an impact on the game overall.

It would have no impact on the game. It gets back to the tired old argument about players salaries. You will get one person saying its obscene that player x gets paid $1M to play footy whilst teachers and nurses get paid a pittance. You get the next person saying that if Ronaldo gets paid $400M to kick a ball and fall over a lot, then player X is worth a lot more because they get bashed each week. Both are wrong. Simply, there is a certain amount in the pot and after administration is finished pissing their portion away, the salary cap amount is left and that is what the players can have and are entitled to, no more no less.

If a $1B media deal means the top players are worth $1M pa, happy days, but a reduced deal would mean less obviously. I dont think the game would suffer. The Cronks/Smith/Tedesco's of the world will get less but thats not the end of the world. I dont think they will be lost to an alternative code because there really isnt one, ther eis no money in RU or SL either.

Shark62

Juniors
It would have no impact on the game. It gets back to the tired old argument about players salaries. You will get one person saying its obscene that player x gets paid $1M to play footy whilst teachers and nurses get paid a pittance. You get the next person saying that if Ronaldo gets paid $400M to kick a ball and fall over a lot, then player X is worth a lot more because they get bashed each week. Both are wrong. Simply, there is a certain amount in the pot and after administration is finished pissing their portion away, the salary cap amount is left and that is what the players can have and are entitled to, no more no less.

If a $1B media deal means the top players are worth $1M pa, happy days, but a reduced deal would mean less obviously. I dont think the game would suffer. The Cronks/Smith/Tedesco's of the world will get less but thats not the end of the world. I dont think they will be lost to an alternative code because there really isnt one, ther eis no money in RU or SL either.
I live in hope that superleague one day genuinely challenges the nrl and forces the numbskulls who run the game here to engage in proactive game and competition development

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've quite enjoyed watching the touch footy thats been on Fox recently. I wonder i fthis could become a more valuable tv product in the future? Could be a womens and mens NRL touch footy comp as lead in games to the main NRL game?

Latest posts