What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

The unknown

Juniors
I realise Adam Blair is packers biggest inspiration but wtf is the merkin actually doing? not reported as injured, is he just flat out dogging the team? not turning up to training? falling asleep in the car before training?

Hopefully he breaches contract or something so we are obliged to terminate him

magpie_man

Juniors
The best thing we can do until we have decent cap space in 2022 is spend a lot of time at school boy carnivals and other junior rep games, scouring the Pacific, looking at whatever junior systems they have in England, as well as trying to identify a kalyn ponga in another team's junior system.

We're pretty much stuffed going to the market in the traditional sense. Even if we could who in their right mind would want to sign?

I think the sooner the club accepts the reality of this situation the sooner we can move forward and build towards being a top 8 side.
It's like WT are living in denial; we are not an attractive club to any player on the open market aside from the desperado, the fringe-first grader or the veteran looking for his retirement nest egg. Even if we're offering more money (3rd party and "auxiliary" payments excluded) a player will likely take a pay-cut in order to sign with a stable or successful club that will ultimately prolong their career and enhance their representative chances. That's the simple reality of the situation.
Canberra accepted that they're not a highly desirable location nearly a decade ago and have made allowances for it by looking offshore to the UK for playing talent and are now seeing the dividends being paid for their lateral thinking. We need to do the same.

Tiger05

First Grade
we are not an attractive club to any player on the open market aside from the desperado, the fringe-first grader or the veteran looking for his retirement nest egg. Even if we're offering more money (3rd party and "auxiliary" payments excluded) a player will likely take a pay-cut in order to sign with a stable or successful club that will ultimately prolong their career and enhance their representative chances. That's the simple reality of the situation.

I don't buy this line at all. We can recruit players. We just have to manage our cap well. You can't spend the amount of money we have spent on players like Packer & Reynolds and expect to build a top 8 team.

It's all about managing the cap and getting good players when we can. Matterson is a perfect example. There will be others as well.

We just have management teams that make poor decisions. Cleary's signings were terrible because he signed players on overs on long term contracts. Pay overs but not for the long term. If it doesn't work out you can get rid of them quickly.

Das Hassler

Bench
I don't buy this line at all. We can recruit players. We just have to manage our cap well. You can't spend the amount of money we have spent on players like Packer & Reynolds and expect to build a top 8 team.

It's all about managing the cap and getting good players when we can. Matterson is a perfect example. There will be others as well.

We just have management teams that make poor decisions. Cleary's signings were terrible because he signed players on overs on long term contracts. Pay overs but not for the long term. If it doesn't work out you can get rid of them quickly.

Have a read of ( if the link doesnt work) the thread on page 13 re Packer's signing....05...you were wetting yourself as much as anyone praising Ivan for the great signing that we so much needed....as ive said...would'a should'a done this and that ....everyone at the club are idiots works great in hindsight
The club and Cleary were being lauded as saviours at the time...no one protested Packer's deal .....it's HIS fault..he's let us down...no one saw it happening. If YOU did then why didn't you mention it at the time of the obvious "shit signing" ?

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/packer-confirmed-to-tigers.463795/

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Have a read of ( if the link doesnt work) the thread on page 13 re Packer's signing....05...you were wetting yourself as much as anyone praising Ivan for the great signing that we so much needed....as ive said...would'a should'a done this and that ....everyone at the club are idiots works great in hindsight
The club and Cleary were being lauded as saviours at the time...no one protested Packer's deal .....it's HIS fault..he's let us down...no one saw it happening. If YOU did then why didn't you mention it at the time of the obvious "shit signing" ?

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/packer-confirmed-to-tigers.463795/

I read the link and I think you are massively overstating the positive reaction. We were in a hole at that point in time. We also desperately need some props.

I don't believe that professional manager would sign a guy like Packer on overs for the long term. Reynolds has been an even worse signing. It's not really the signings but the contract term.

We had dollars in our cap and we wasted it.

Yes he hasn't delivered but if it was one signing that had done that okay but it's more than one.

Das Hassler

Bench
Everyone was wrapped that we had him for 4 years....there was no negativity about it....Cory Thompson's signing was greeted by many as a waste of a spot. If we had of lost packer at the time by not giving him a 4 year deal then everyone would have been howling at the incompetency.

Das Hassler

Bench
And...
We had dollars in our cap and we wasted it.

Why didnt you mention that back then?....i'll tell you why....because like most orhers you couldnt see into the future

Matalino...Page 12 ...also a great signing ( at the time)

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Cleary was unemployed for a long time. I think he really couldn’t believe his luck on getting the job. But he got the warriors to semi or grand final so that rep is sort after in a coach. Plus he’s a no drama coach which is the opposite to Taylor. Since Cleary had been away for a while he had no current following from good players. He had Packer and Matalino from his time at the warriors and when at the warriors Matalino was awesome.Packer was looking ok at the Dragons but what Cleary was looking for was leadership on the field and guys he new he could work with. So he got Packer for his “you can come back from anything” story. The Dragons were only prepared to give him a shorter term deal so the 4 year deal was needed to lure him away....shit that’s s long time for a “good story” and an ok “player I used to coach” ironically his jail time may have increased his value......he got Reynolds because he was really respected at the bulldogs and Mbye was seen as leadership too. At the time commentators were saying Mbye was a great fullback. I thought he was too? We need to get across to NZ and pick up a couple of backwater hard men like sheens did with Pongia and and John Lomax in 93 after they lost Lazarus...or Fiji ..Anyway we’ve played some amazing games this year. I would say a couple of our games have been top 3 for the year in excitement. That Brisbane win would nudge top position.

WA Tiger

Bench
And that game we played with the perfect first half..I cant remember the opposition..But I remember saying that was better than the Brisbane win

WA Tiger

Bench
The Brisbane game was when Cheekam got that last minute try and granted the perfect first half was against Penrith...Maybe Madge needs to get his mind back away from who he can get rid of and buy ...and I’m pretty sure he did try to get rid of Mbye to the Cowboys..and get it back on coaching....and show us what he’s got...Bennett would make something if this lot

Tiger05

First Grade
And...

Why didnt you mention that back then?....i'll tell you why....because like most orhers you couldnt see into the future

Matalino...Page 12 ...also a great signing ( at the time)

None of us are professional managers of a rugby league club. It's not like we haven't been in this situation in the past as well.

Are we to blame for the current situation ? Is the current coach ?

I'm not sure where you are coming from because I don't think the current situation is good. I think it's pretty bad.

I also accept it can turn around reasonable quickly.

Tiger05

First Grade
Bennett would make something if this lot

So you think the coach is too blame ? Personally I don't see it. I think we have some good players but we lack some class players. I also think it's hard to add some class players when your highest paid players aren't doing well and you can't get rid of them for a number of years.

super_coach

First Grade
So you think the coach is too blame ? Personally I don't see it. I think we have some good players but we lack some class players. I also think it's hard to add some class players when your highest paid players aren't doing well and you can't get rid of them for a number of years.

Remind me who are the good players?.

WA Tiger

Bench
Not to blame.But as we know it’s going to be a long time before there is a solution re class players coming to the club although Im sure we will get the odd break here and there...so once we hit that wall enough times then it’s time to make something of what we’ve got until some of these dead horses can be moved on...I’m just saying let’s look ahead and let Madge show us how good he really is

WA Tiger

Bench
And who knows how much of a head fk all this instability and hoping and disappointment has been been for the coach and players .It has been for us

WA Tiger

Bench
With Thompson at Fullback we have the spine...lets build from there ..get some past player legends in to coach and motivate ...hire that whisperer guy...who knows but Madge hasn’t got any other option now but to get positive with what he’s got ..