What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Roar's take on things

denis preston

First Grade
"Why on the planet did Paul McGregor get another two years?
I get it. Running a footy club is a difficult business. There is lots to do, lots of people to keep happy and plenty of decisions which have to be made.

But blind freddy could see Paul McGregor shouldn’t have been re-signed as early as he was.

While decisions have to be made for next season so the club can start locking in contracts and looking at the player market, this was one of those rare times where it would have helped to hold off, rather than bite the bullet and sign him.

What probably makes it even more confusing was that there wasn’t exactly a massive rush from around the league to sign McGregor. No other clubs were sitting there going, yeah, let’s get him.

A virtually unproven coach should never be snapped up on the back of a couple of wins in a row, especially when you look at how the Dragons have been managed from the top down in the last couple of years under the control of McGregor.

It follows a trend for the Dragons though, who have a way of signing former players of the club. According to most reports, Trent Barrett will be coming on as an assistant coach, and this level of recruitment can be traced right back to the Nathan Brown days last decade, when he was far too young and raw to be a head coach.

They have now lost six of their last seven, more or less since the re-signing of McGregor was announced, and memories of 2017 have come flooding back for Dragons fans, who watched a similar drop in form after the last re-signing of McGregor, as the Dragons fell from the top of the table mid way through the season to win 4 of their last 11 matches.

Simply put, the way the Dragons have been managed isn’t good enough, and what the side are dishing up on the field is anything but good enough.

On paper, this is a side who have the talent to be solidly in the top eight and pushing for a top four berth, but they have struggled big time, and while there were a couple of weeks of relent, plus a big win over the Bulldogs last weekend, the finals are starting to look a long way away in 2019 for the Red V, despite having one of the best forward packs in the competition.

Of course, it’s not just Mary who cops the blame, and the whole club needs a clean out.

Sure, they have off-field distractions and injuries, but so does every club across the competition. Mary has failed to handle it for the best part of five years now, and surely, with a huge loss to a rampant Manly on Sunday, his time should be closer to the end than the beginning."

At last someone in the media has come out and said it like it is ! More to come i hope ( but not from Crawly ! )

BLM01

First Grade
The Roar unfortunately does not get out in mainstream media and is seen as just a non professional amateur journalism.
I agree with their sentiments as do most of us but the mainstream media decide how things go in the sports world....and the only thing that the black sheep corporate world and most supporters listen too and take notice of..unfortunately.

Gareth67

First Grade
I lost my dear Mum early Monday morning , however to take my mind of the heartbreak I have now logged into the forum only to realized that I am about to lose one of the other things that have brought happiness into my life - that of course being the demise of my beloved St.George Illawarra Dragons . :cry:

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
I lost my dear Mum early Monday morning , however to take my mind of the heartbreak I have now logged into the forum only to realized that I have am about to lose one of the other things that have brought joy into my life - that of course being the demise of my beloved St.George Illawarra Dragons . :cry:
Sorry for your loss Gareth & may you carry her in your heart forever! Forget the other imbecile coaching!

hazzbeen

Bench
I lost my dear Mum early Monday morning , however to take my mind of the heartbreak I have now logged into the forum only to realized that I have am about to lose one of the other things that have brought joy into my life - that of course being the demise of my beloved St.George Illawarra Dragons . :cry:
So sorry to hear that , may she Rest In Peace .........

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

Sad news Gareth. My condolences to you and your family.

Not much happy news here on the forum, but much as we all complain I doubt the demise of the Dragons will be anytime soon. A good hose out and the place would be as good as new.

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
Sorry to hear mate.
Yes our club is a sad state of affairs.
I love the Saints.....but wow am I losing interest in the club and the game at the moment. It’s not like we’re in a rebuilding phase.
I’ve said it before, Mary seems like a nice bloke, but he is not an NRL coach.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Dear Gareth67,

Please accept our deepest sympathy mate, let me assure you we are here anytime you want to talk or let off steam.
Please PM anytime.
John

Hardcore Dragon

Juniors

Mate, very sorry to hear about your loss.

Hope you are OK during this difficult time.

Warm regards

Sorry to hear hope things get better

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Condolences to you and your family Gareth.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Humble condolences Gareth.
Hope you are holding up ok and don't worry too much about the Dragons as there is a light, dim as it may seem, there is that will eventually shine through.

sco22

Juniors
Sorry to hear that Gareth67 about your Mum. All Mums are a important part of our lives. It looks like that you are maybe right in the the demise of the mighty St George Illawarra Dragons the red v maybe done very sad indeed

Old Timer

Coach
I concur with all other sentiments that have been expressed and know you & your family will support each other at a tough time.
I lost my dad back in 98 and never a day goes by that I don't miss him but that is always overshadowed by the great memories of time well spent together.
Losing love one's is always difficult but as I always say they are only truly dead when we stop thinking about them and I am sure you will have lots to remember.
I know you will do her proud and give her a good send off.
Best wishes,
OT

blacksafake

First Grade
Like everyone else mate, my sincere condolences to you & your family.

dragonhysteria

Juniors
Condolences on your loss Gareth.

I have forwarded that Roar article to Big Sports Breakfast and Talkin Sport. I know I am dreaming and it Probably won’t go anywhere and I know those shows don’t have a large audience but it was such a good article and is a nice summary of all that is wrong with the club. I could not work out how to forward it to Fox/nrl360.