What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Send off dead?

DaveMc

Juniors
I see a tackle like that today and I feel bad for Cotric too. How would he be feeling after that ?

Unintentional, but the Dragons guy ended up in a really bad position, so Cotric will get what he gets.

It does however, make an absolute mockery of when guys like Josh Reynolds and Greg Inglis were purposely flipping themselves head over heels in order to win a penalty, and refs falling for it time and again.
I would’ve felt worse for Cotric if he didn’t act like a belligerent clown after getting sent.

Exsilium

First Grade
It was the correct call to send him off.

It was dangerous, he had no other player involved, beyond horizontal and it was a spear tackle.

All for having good hits and tackles but that’s outright stupid and dangerous.

kdalymc

Bench
Haha Rickys like "but it was an accident", lol doesn't matter mate the bloke nearly broke his f**ken neck

Front-Rower

First Grade
Haha Rickys like "but it was an accident", lol doesn't matter mate the bloke nearly broke his f**ken neck

Watching Ricky’s press conference, it’s quite clear he should keep quiet. IMO he did more damage trying to defend it then good. The icing on the cake was when he told the journalist asking the questions that he shouldn’t cover rugby league lol

Quicksilver

Bench
It's a very dangerous tackle but I'd be willing to call it an accident if done by Billy Slates.

Neville Nobodies should be sent for that.

Someguy

First Grade
Remember when there was a crackdown on lifting tackles for about a month after the Alex McKinnon injury? Shame it never continued, there's no reason for them.

There was a selective crackdown, the next week a really bad one from a titans player on a storm player avoided suspension

adamkungl

Immortal
Only an insane person thinks that wasn't a send off.

There's no doubt there's some issues with consistency - the send off should be certainly used more often.

IMO - and this might seem over the top, but there is logic behind it

Anything that looks like it's a 4+ week suspension should be a send off.

Any foul play that looks like a suspension should be at least a sin bin.

Any foul play that results in a player being injured should be at least a sin bin.

There's a weird disconnect where we suspend players for weeks but they are allowed to continue playing the same game. It doesn't help the team that gets fouled if someone gets a few weeks on the sidelines and they lose an injured player for the game.
I don't expect referees to run a judiciary in their head, the suspension weeks above are intended as reference points. I'm happy for referees to use their discretion.

We should lean towards more on-field removals and less lengthy suspensions. Star players being off the field for weeks hurts competitive intensity and the fans. I would argue being sent from the field is just as big a deterrent for foul play as 2 or 3 weeks on the sidelines.

nick87

Coach
We should lean towards more on-field removals and less lengthy suspensions. Star players being off the field for weeks hurts competitive intensity and the fans. I would argue being sent from the field is just as big a deterrent for foul play as 2 or 3 weeks on the sidelines.

yeah i had never thought about it this way, but i think that's the correct way to go.
More sin bins and send offs, and lesser charges at the MRC would be good.

Like the Dragons at least got some benefits of this (not that it helped them,because they're f**king bums), had Cotric stayed on the park, they get nothing