What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WC FINAL: England v New Zealand Lords London July 14 2019 (Result - Tie)

Iafeta

Referee
Holy f**k I can't believe the Bat of God incident.

That's a one in a million occurrence.

God is real and he hates the Kiwis.

Commiserations Black Caps. You guys deserved to win.

The tie ruling is stupid.

It'd be like a World Cup final penalty shoot out ending at 6-6 with the winner being the team who had the most corner kicks.

Only cricket can be so dumb. Just have another Super Over FFS.

Better yet, make it a Super 5 overs befitting a WC Final.

Yep. And congrats Tommy.

Iafeta

Referee
You have to think back to NZs last ball where the player f**king ducked it. I bet he’s sick as f**k now.

Guptills lbw review. Taylor cops an absolute howler from Erasmus and they were completing a leg bye as he sheepishly and belatedly raised the finger. There’s the run.

Is anyone feeling good about this? It’s just a hollow dead feeling. I’m a Warriors fan and we lose all the time. But it’s like nothing was achieved. Even the Poms people are going to put a question mark over it.

Valheru

Coach
Disagree. You can lose a match by 8 wickets, or 37 runs, but you never lose by 6 boundaries.

That is purely dependant on whether the team batting 1st or 2nd wins, Teams batting 1st win by runs, teams batting 2nd win by wickets.

Test cricket you need to take wickets to win (declarations aside), there is no such requirement in ODI cricket.

The Bye

Juniors
Hi Stavros I’m sure the England cricket team supplied their own champagne.
No idea who Stavros is. Obviously the world XI supplied their own champers. It just would have been a bit more nice and inclusive if they thought about their Muslim brothers and used something non alcoholic to spray in celebration for drawing the final.

Pommy

Coach
No idea who Stavros is. Obviously the world XI supplied their own champers. It just would have been a bit more nice and inclusive if they thought about their Muslim brothers and used something non alcoholic to spray in celebration for drawing the final.

Yeah obviously they did, and of course you don’t.

shiznit

Coach
Absolutely shattered.... it was made more painful by the fact that I never actually allowed myself the thought that we might win it this entire time...

Then in the last over I allowed myself to dream we could actually win this... then the bat of god happens and just snatched my heart out...

Then when Neesham hit that 6 in the super over I started to dream again...

And then to see that getting snatched twice was f**king heartbreaking.

Congratulations to the English... they have been the best ODI team for the entire 4 years so if anyone deserves the luck it’s them.

Danish

Referee
That is purely dependant on whether the team batting 1st or 2nd wins, Teams batting 1st win by runs, teams batting 2nd win by wickets.

Test cricket you need to take wickets to win (declarations aside), there is no such requirement in ODI cricket.

DWL system takes wickets into account

Valheru

Coach
DWL system takes wickets into account

Yeah that's true.

That is more related to a "fair" target based on overs remaining and wickets in the context of that compared to the opposition.

Playing actual cricket is the solution here, not a count back.

Eelectrica

Referee
Yeah that's true.

That is more related to a "fair" target based on overs remaining and wickets in the context of that compared to the opposition.

Playing actual cricket is the solution here, not a count back.
Problem is their always needs to be some provision for a tie.
Or we could theoretically have players swapping in and out of gear all night.

As a neutral in this it's hard to say but maybe a shared trophy would have been better after super over ended in a tie as well.

edabomb

First Grade

As a neutral in this it's hard to say but maybe a shared trophy would have been better after super over ended in a tie as well.

Yeah it's not as if a super over tie is beyond the realms of normal possibility. You imagine most would end between 7 and 16. That very roughly gives you 10 possibilities on either side which means a 1% chance of a tie.

Iafeta

Referee
See, I would find that way more palatable if the result was declared based on England qualifying higher. But boundaries? It’s a Clayton’s win at best.

I’m happy for @Tommy Smith , he’s given lots of cheek in these forums and is a genuine cricket nut. But to lose on boundaries?? I struggle to see how on earth that could be a differentiating factor and therefore even some England fans would have to think this is an iffy result and you can’t get genuine satisfaction from that.

Danish

Referee

Have enough super overs and someone will win eventually. Not really sure anyone would have a problem with them somehow managing to play 100 super overs.... besides dumbas TV execs I suppose.

As an example, The 3 day match at Wimbledon was one of the greatest events in sporting history. Those 2 lads struggling through an entire days play was epic. Today's final was robbed reaching even greater heights because of their stupid tie breaker rule (only brought in for the sake of TV).

edabomb

First Grade
See, I would find that way more palatable if the result was declared based on England qualifying higher. But boundaries? It’s a Clayton’s win at best.

I’m happy for @Tommy Smith , he’s given lots of cheek in these forums and is a genuine cricket nut. But to lose on boundaries?? I struggle to see how on earth that could be a differentiating factor and therefore even some England fans would have to think this is an iffy result and you can’t get genuine satisfaction from that.

The players definitely didn't seem to mind. Found that a bit odd.

Problem with the ladder is the abandoned matches influence it. Really hard to find a good solution. I just imagine what an advertisment for the game joint winners would have been. Would have been great for international curiosity. Instead we have a farce.

Bazal

Post Whore
Just bowl super overs until there's a winner. Plenty have said it, it's that simple.

It's just such a pathetic way to decide a world cup. No one actually won

Iafeta

Referee
Well the equivalents...

Win the FIFA World Cup because you had more corners
Win the Rugby League World Cup because you had more dummy half runs
Win the World Series because you bunted more
Win the NBA because you had more assists
Win the Stanley Cup because you had more more body checks

I’m trying to put myself in an English supporters shoes. Eventually sooner or later the realisation comes true that you have the Cup but you won nothing. What a bizarre feeling that must be. I genuinely feel sorry for them too.

Pommy

Coach
Well the equivalents...

Win the FIFA World Cup because you had more corners
Win the Rugby League World Cup because you had more dummy half runs
Win the World Series because you bunted more
Win the NBA because you had more assists
Win the Stanley Cup because you had more more body checks

I’m trying to put myself in an English supporters shoes. Eventually sooner or later the realisation comes true that you have the Cup but you won nothing. What a bizarre feeling that must be. I genuinely feel sorry for them too.

Lol literally nobody is thinking about it like that. It’s a game, a game has rules under the rules we won.
You can’t pick and chose which rules you want to apply to a game that’s been played.

Saying that I’m more than happy for the rules to be changed so this doesn’t happen in the future.

Front-Rower

First Grade
With all this talk of the over throws being awarded 6 instead of only 5 is incorrect under my interpretation of the law. IMO as the ball reached the boundary after the second run was completed, both runs plus the boundary should be added to the total. Unfortunate however correct in my view.