What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

''Why not just kick us out of comp?'

Rich102

Staff member
Maybe the frustrations would drop if Blair cut out all his dubious play.
The ref's are aware of all the niggle he puts in. So given a 50-50 call it is going to go against him.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't think that's an unfair outburst based on the season we've had officiating wise. Although we certainly haven't controlled the controllables in terms of our performance.

Diesel

Referee
Are we still one of the few clubs that make money for the NRL?

It’s the owners, not NRL that get the profit from the club, plus they get a $13m grant from the NRL which $10m goes to the salary cap.

Our TV deal alone was ~$100m in 2012 and approx $200m/5 years in the current deal, which goes straight to the NRL. Next time we get a home final, gate receipts go directly to the NRL too.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
As I said in the other topic, while this attitude runs through the club from top to bottom, it will never be successful.

It gives the players an easy out and excuse rather than digging in when times get tough or something doesn’t go their way

The Storm had a man sin binned yesterday and didn’t drop their heads and give away 3 tries in 5mins while making comments like that to the refs

Meth

Staff member
And that really is the only thing that matters

I don't think anyone is denying that the primary contributor to where we as a club is our own lacklustre performances. Still, we seem to be getting it in the arse from the refs more often than not.

I think if a young bloke like Harris-Tavita or Tevaga came out with an outburst like this, you could write it off as immaturity. But this is incredibly uncharacteristic from Green and I think that's telling.

And sure, Blair gets tangled up a lot and he's got some grub in him. But they reviewed it enough to be able to say "yeah, it's Blair and he can be a pest, but that's not a sin binning'

Matua

Bench
As I said in the other topic, while this attitude runs through the club from top to bottom, it will never be successful.

It gives the players an easy out and excuse rather than digging in when times get tough or something doesn’t go their way

The Storm had a man sin binned yesterday and didn’t drop their heads and give away 3 tries in 5mins while making comments like that to the refs
That's silly, you can't pretend that the Warriors don't get the rough end of the stick and tell them to cop it on the chin because one time the Storm had a decision go against them. If the Storm regularly copped what we did Smith would have blown up about it, Gould would write columns about it, the Fox show would have it as a weekly feature, the Matty Johns show would commission their own clip like RTS's brothers hilarious one ... and the NRL would do something about it.

Players should be held accountable for their performance, that doesn't mean that we pretend everything else is rosy.

It’s the owners, not NRL that get the profit from the club, plus they get a $13m grant from the NRL which $10m goes to the salary cap.

Our TV deal alone was ~$100m in 2012 and approx $200m/5 years in the current deal, which goes straight to the NRL. Next time we get a home final, gate receipts go directly to the NRL too.
How on earth do they get $100m for one year of the Warriors? $40m per year seems slightly more reasonable.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
That's silly, you can't pretend that the Warriors don't get the rough end of the stick and tell them to cop it on the chin because one time the Storm had a decision go against them. If the Storm regularly copped what we did Smith would have blown up about it, Gould would write columns about it, the Fox show would have it as a weekly feature, the Matty Johns show would commission their own clip like RTS's brothers hilarious one ... and the NRL would do something about it.

Players should be held accountable for their performance, that doesn't mean that we pretend everything else is rosy.

How on earth do they get $100m for one year of the Warriors? $40m per year seems slightly more reasonable.

Go to every teams forum and they all have complaints about the refs and how they get treated, sure some cop it more than others, but the point is that the better teams deal with the situations and move on with it, rather than caving in.

Subconsciously, if the players hear from the top brass that the world is against them, it can soften the resolve and give them an easy out, which is the attitude that will hold a club back from moving forward. The comparison with the Storm is simply that the better teams handle those situations better and both teams lost an edge backrower for 10mins over the weekend

JJ

Immortal
And sure, Blair gets tangled up a lot and he's got some grub in him. But they reviewed it enough to be able to say "yeah, it's Blair and he can be a pest, but that's not a sin binning'
Thing is a lot of people thought it was a binning - including Betham et al in commentary...

I've seen more innocuous binning, and much worse things let go - the refs are what they are, certainly good sides get the rub of the green, but I think most clubs/fans feel hard done by... whether it's the case or not, I don't see it as helpful - it's making excuses, it leads to disrespecting refs across the board - in club and age group stuff they are just volunteers, and like it or not what the professionals do, influences park football

Clearly I'm in the minority on this issue, but I'd much prefer they focus on building a club and culture that develops our talented juniors, and that good players want to play for...to be fair they have attracted RTS, Harris and Ah Mau in recent years, but we've not developed and/or let go a shitload of potential

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Now Blake Green sees what I have always said and thats the fact the aussies will never EVER let the Warriors win the NRL. We aren't going to win it this year anyway so Im not saying its because of them we are losing but those crucial calls have cost us a few games, not this year but so many years in the past as well. If we ever did come up with a great season and we had a winning team with a record like the Storm has now, we'd still lose in the finals due to aussie refs calls and Blake Green knows this now.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
How about we all take a chill pill. Yeah he said some shit in the heat of the moment, in a massive pressure situation.

It doesn't mean that everyone is out to get us, and it also doesn't mean that the Warriors will never have success because one player let his frustrations get the best of him one time.

Move on.

Matua

Bench
Go to every teams forum and they all have complaints about the refs and how they get treated, sure some cop it more than others, but the point is that the better teams deal with the situations and move on with it, rather than caving in.

Subconsciously, if the players hear from the top brass that the world is against them, it can soften the resolve and give them an easy out, which is the attitude that will hold a club back from moving forward. The comparison with the Storm is simply that the better teams handle those situations better and both teams lost an edge backrower for 10mins over the weekend
I don't disagree that the Warriors shouldn't handle things better regardless and I'm sure there are complaints on other teams forums, but I've been watching the game long enough to feel justified in stating the Warriors cop it a bit more than others teams. Enough that I know of fans who have just given up on the game (obviously not 100% due to this and obviously in combination with the Warriors mismanagement) and I've been close myself - and I follow teams in other sports that perform as badly as the Warriors and don't have the same issues.

MKEB...

Staff member
I am suprised he hasn't copped a fine for dissent. ...

If not, why not? An over-abundence of previous ref-boss apologies perhaps?
But still, that spray deserves a fine: kids learn from this-abuse a ref -go unpunished.

As much of a warriors fan as I am, and I apathise where Green was coming from. I am not sure if I have worded this quite right, but I am sure that youse guys get the gist of it.

TheDMC

Bench
What Green said was lame, although spur of the moment no doubt. I'm far more concerned about RTS being rubbish in engaging refs.

Meth

Staff member
Clearly I'm in the minority on this issue, but I'd much prefer they focus on building a club and culture that develops our talented juniors, and that good players want to play for...to be fair they have attracted RTS, Harris and Ah Mau in recent years, but we've not developed and/or let go a shitload of potential

That’s not the minority. That’s everybody.