What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hall of fame nominees

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
My picks of those guys would be;

Steve Renouf
Stacey Jones
Garry Jack
Michael Hancock
Greg Alexander
Paul Sironen

JJ

Immortal
4 is ridiculously hard - most if not all are worthy...

Simms, Young, Sironen, Lindner, Reddy - LOL that's 5 already...

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Vautin, Toovey, Randall, Jones for me :p lol in all seriousness it’s nearly impossible to whittle this down

Simms was so good at his craft they had to chance the value of the drop goal so he should be in there

Rich102

Staff member
Out of the ones I have seen play live:
Lindner, O'Connor, Randall and Young.

Blair

Coach
Stacey Jones and Ruben Wiki among the nominees, Brandy an ex warriors there too, hard to choose 4 from the 25

For a full list and career achievements follow the link

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/07/nrl-hall-of-fame-player-nominees-announced-for-2019/

How much weight do they put on winning a Sydney premiership? I quick glance and I noticed three non-premiership-winning legends, Wally Lewis, Mark Graham and Andrew Ettingshausen are in there.

But if you were a judge, and you had Ruben Wiki v Stacey Jones going for one spot, you'd think the premiership-winner would get the nod.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Vautin? He was shiT! Like...shiT!

I dont know how he made Origin. Each to their own but I'm surprised to see his name in there to begin with.

He was before my time but if you captain your club to a premiership, captain your state and captain your country you must have something going for you

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
He was before my time but if you captain your club to a premiership, captain your state and captain your country you must have something going for you
Fair enough. Paul Vautin was before my time too but I've seen a lot of the old highlights and he was never anything great. I know highlights don't show much but the other nominees are bound to have more highlights than Vautin does. Must have been a great leader.

Big Marn

Juniors
from the ones ive seen the most i would go Renouf, O'Connor, Jones, Lindner but i could be 0/4.

JJ

Immortal
Fair enough. Paul Vautin was before my time too but I've seen a lot of the old highlights and he was never anything great. I know highlights don't show much but the other nominees are bound to have more highlights than Vautin does. Must have been a great leader.
Vautin was a fine player - no mistake... he won't get in this time, but he's deserving of consideration... from that era, Lindner and Sironen were better though... both just awesome IMO

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

Yeah highlight seems to be that he was a Michael Luck style of player that did the dirty work but had rep jumpers to go with it

If you took everything into account though and throw in coaching the biggest origin boiliver of all time plus 20+ years in the media his CV increase again

Matua

Bench
Young, Wiki, Jones and Buderus inducted

Happy with that, could have added another dozen, don’t think there was a wrong 4

Great for the Kiwi boys
I'm, in my best Aussie impression, deadset flabbergasted that the two Kiwis got in.

I would have gone Renouf and O'Connor over Young and Buderus this time round, but they were two of my favourite players back when I was an intense Winfield Cup fan.

JJ

Immortal
Strange for me that Buderus was in ahead of Harragan...

Personally, I'd have stuck older school for now - Young, Sironen, O'Connor, and Simms... maybe Alexander - Wiki, Jones, and Buderus very deserving but could wait until a few of their predecessors are in...

But as most have agreed, hard to find 4 on that list that don't warrant a spot

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Strange for me that Buderus was in ahead of Harragan...

Personally, I'd have stuck older school for now - Young, Sironen, O'Connor, and Simms... maybe Alexander - Wiki, Jones, and Buderus very deserving but could wait until a few of their predecessors are in...

But as most have agreed, hard to find 4 on that list that don't warrant a spot
what is the go with that? Is there a certain limit to how many times you can be nominated without actually making it in? Or is that just for immortals?

Coz I'd hate to think that some of those blokes have missed their chance.

For me, Renouf, Harragon and Brandy are an absolute must next time..

JJ

Immortal
what is the go with that? Is there a certain limit to how many times you can be nominated without actually making it in? Or is that just for immortals?

Coz I'd hate to think that some of those blokes have missed their chance.

For me, Renouf, Harragon and Brandy are an absolute must next time..
I'm not sure, but to me it implies the more recent players are more deserving... Alexander led his club to a maiden premiership, that's special, Sironen was an absolute monster at all levels of football, and Harragon is I think more special to the Novocastrians than Bedsy...

I don't think it cheapens it by inducting 12-15? I think there were at least that many on the list that an "absolute must" argument can be created for... but again, each of the 4 inducted was well deserving, just that I think we could come up with another 3 -4 lists of 4 that are equally deserving

Buderus last night noted that Ben Elias isn't there - never liked him, but the bloke was a genius... Wayne Pearce in and Bob Lindner not - guess that's fair on club stuff, but at rep level Lindner was awesome...

From that great Balmain pack - Roach and Pearce in, Elias and Sironen not - if I was building a team in 1989 I'd take Sirro and Elias to start

Anyway, love the concept, just think they still have a bit of a backlog

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Yeah it’s a very tough process, and if you put 20 sets of judges together you’d get 20 different results

All the older judges said Terry Randall was an absolute must. Simms had a rule changed because he was so proficient with his boot. Could make cases for most of them

Latest posts