What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 Vs the Donkeys

OldPanther

Coach
Koroisau has been told he can go because Manly want to hang on to Manase Fainu and Manly need the money for future upgrades for the Trbojevic brothers.
Seggy has a deal on the table to stay at the Broncos but someone said recently for business purposes he may have to come back to Sydney.

Whether we are seriously linked to either I don't know.

In that case I'd seriously consider Koroisau.

kinghippo

Juniors
We NEED to make a play for Ramien. A guy of exceptional talent who can be nurtured. A risk,yes, but I'm not satisfied with our current centre options. If we could have a pairing in 2020 of Crichton/Ramien with Naden pushed to wing to compete with Mansour then I'd be more comfortable.

As for Reynolds...he isn't a hooker. He can't pass left with a spiral pass. He would just stand and pass and not engage. We already have that.

Unless it's a game-changer at hooker I'd try and manufacture solution. With Burton emerging as a five-eight option next year...maybe we test out Luai or Dean Blore in the off-season at hooker. Tell Luai to try and use his speed and kicking game at that position.

I would suggest putting Cleary there....but no way that happens.
we SHOULD be looking at Ramien and after watching olam last night I think Scott will find it tough to get back into the squad. Either of those guys would be good with Creighton.
I don’t like the idea of luai as hooker, he has earnt his chance at 5/8.
Burton progression needs more games in reserves, he could make a good utility for a bit of a taste next year.
I have usually thought we could be ok with Egan or Kenny but I have changed my mind. throwing some dollars at api or Seg would offer a lot more stability in the middle.
Egan and Kenny can continue to improve in reserves hopefully.

murraymob

Coach
The time to be sensitive is gone.Lose next week we are gone .Time to drop mansour and Whare both just passengers .Malony and Cleary both do not work as a team .Both get our attacking sideways to much
put Burton and Cleary together instructions run the ball run the ball Crighton in the centres anyone on the wing

The time to be sensitive is gone.Lose next week we are gone .Time to drop mansour and Whare both just passengers .Malony and Cleary both do not work as a team .Both get our attacking sideways to much
put Burton and Cleary together instructions run the ball run the ball Crighton in the centres anyone on the wing

Burton can’t play unless there’s an injury, he’s not eliglble.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I can't believe things are that dire that we need to think Josh Reynolds would be a solution to our hooking woes.
If we are to get someone in lets make sure its a full time hooker with experience, a good passing game and preferably a bit of speed in the legs.

In the last two days I've seen suggestions of Naden at fullback, Edwards in the centres, Burton at fullback, Reynolds at hooker, ... this forum absolutely loves just randomly chucking players into random positions. All I can say is that I'm glad that none of us have any role in squad selection.

OldPanther

Coach
In the last two days I've seen suggestions of Naden at fullback, Edwards in the centres, Burton at fullback, Reynolds at hooker, ... this forum absolutely loves just randomly chucking players into random positions. All I can say is that I'm glad that none of us have any role in squad selection.

Difference is I've actually thought it through with Burton at fullback and it makes more sense than bloody centre and Luai will be the 6.

Kilkenny

Coach

We don’t often agree Billy but on this I am with you 100%.

mxlegend99

Referee
Difference is I've actually thought it through with Burton at fullback and it makes more sense than bloody centre and Luai will be the 6.
I think Burton is too important in halves to move. Especially when hes not proven in these other positions anyway.

I think we need him fighting for the #6 jersey. He and Luai have both shown potential. But neither has actually won the jersey IMO. Luai has the edge now for first chance. But that could change. Whoever doesnt get it should be playing halves in lower grades ready to step up in event of injury or if the other fails. Its extremely unlikely Nathan and Jarome play every game in 2020 for us aswell. Burton will almost certainly be needed in the halves.

OldPanther

Coach
I think Burton is too important in halves to move. Especially when hes not proven in these other positions anyway.

I think we need him fighting for the #6 jersey. He and Luai have both shown potential. But neither has actually won the jersey IMO. Luai has the edge now for first chance. But that could change. Whoever doesnt get it should be playing halves in lower grades ready to step up in event of injury or if the other fails. Its extremely unlikely Nathan and Jarome play every game in 2020 for us aswell. Burton will almost certainly be needed in the halves.

I don't disagree. That's a sensible option and I know I'm taking a big swing at an out there option. Though I thought it was still conservative compared to Cleary at 9.

Maybe for half a season, but Burton looks too good to be a reserve grader for long. If he can’t crack the 6 jersey then fair to look at him for somewhere else.

franklin2323

Immortal

Wasn't Cam Smith a half and Cronk a centre at 18?

Why does where someone as a teenager decide where they should always play?

Pick the best 17 and if it works why change it?

mxlegend99

Referee
Wasn't Cam Smith a half and Cronk a centre at 18?

Why does where someone as a teenager decide where they should always play?

Pick the best 17 and if it works why change it?
You're throwing all your eggs into the basket that Burton would succeed in another position and that Luai will succeed at 6. Luai could fail and we could have wasted an off season of development on Burton in the halves to get a crack... not to mention having no real backup for Luai and Cleary if they are injured.

What's our plan should we lose one of them? Drop the Burton at fullback/centre experiment to move him to halves and then worry about covering another position? If Crichton is one centre... we can't afford for the other to be a rookie learning the position.

IMO we need to target an experienced centre. Not hope we can make one at the expense of our depth in the halves.

Abacus

Juniors
You're throwing all your eggs into the basket that Burton would succeed in another position and that Luai will succeed at 6. Luai could fail and we could have wasted an off season of development on Burton in the halves to get a crack... not to mention having no real backup for Luai and Cleary if they are injured.

What's our plan should we lose one of them? Drop the Burton at fullback/centre experiment to move him to halves and then worry about covering another position? If Crichton is one centre... we can't afford for the other to be a rookie learning the position.

IMO we need to target an experienced centre. Not hope we can make one at the expense of our depth in the halves.
Maybe a bit of tunnel vision on this 1. No one is banking on Luai being a success. During preseason you have Burton training at both 5/8 & centre (I disagree about him being tried at FB).

This improves his utility and his chances of playing NRL. Main thing he needs to work on in early 2020 is defending in the front line. Defensively the move from centre to 5/8 is easier than from FB.

His work in attack on the left side should transfer nicely to centre, even if he's not used as often. Then should there be an issue in the halves during the year (even mid-match), he knows what the left side should be doing so can slide in to 5/8 as needed.

FWIW, I don't see Burton being a risk of moving early. Country boys typically show a bit more loyalty to the clubs that give them a chance.