What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilkenny

Coach
Inconsistent too... I honestly think waiting for the batch to develop is the way to go

Matt was not popular with his team mates towards to end of his time at our club and there are still a few who are still here so that is another reason why he will never return.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’m all for signing Matterson. No downside there.

Very, very good player. it does make me laugh when I read in the media the Eels are being talked about as front runners. It was not that long ago they were done for salary cap cheating, having got over that hurdle they were supposedly having trouble finding the funds to resign Gutherson, have had to upgrade Sivo, resign Michael Jennings, apparently signed up RCG and still have funds available to pursue Matterson if he is released from the Tigers. I only believe a 10th of what is written and said by our League journo’s but seriously where they get the cap space to bring in RCG and then still have a bit left over to go after Matterson makes you wonder. I suppose they will be linked to Holmes when he make’s his inevitable return to the NRL as well.

Pomoz

Bench
He played at centre on his NYC debut. For me I am a pick your best 17 and go from there way of thinking. Hopefully we sign Scott and we don't need to worry
This is obviously a philosophical point, there is no right answer. However, I fundamentally disagree with it. In my view you pick the players that make the best team. That normally means round peg, round hole. It's picking backrowers in the centre and centres at fullback (remember Whare?) that have led us to having such low point scoring capability. On rare occasions, a backrower might be a better centre (Menzies, SBW) but usually you weaken two positions at once, since you now have an inferior second rower as well.

Who says Naden can't read the game? Seems to have an uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time to sniff out a try. Let's see what a first grade off season can do for his physical capability. Even the Pie Face trainers should improve him.

Das Hassler

Bench
You gotta laugh at the thought of Ivan landing Matterson who he brought to the Tigers (but never coached) and who Madge has developed then may have to lose AFTER (yet again) ONE SEASON...due to $'s because of the overpaid busted arses that are gobbling chunks of our cap that Ivan himself saddled us with ....that's about as funny as it gets...Ivan....the gift that keeps on giving
Have a happy offseason fellow "up the back 'o the busers"! :thumbsup:

Kilkenny

Coach
You gotta laugh at the thought of Ivan landing Matterson who he brought to the Tigers (but never coached) and who Madge has developed then may have to lose AFTER (yet again) ONE SEASON...due to $'s because of the overpaid busted arses that are gobbling chunks of our cap that Ivan himself saddled us with ....that's about as funny as it gets...Ivan....the gift that keeps on giving

West’s Tiger’s fan have every right to feel aggrieved about carrying the likes of Russell Packer and Ben Matulino on your books but if there is an issue with Matterson is surely is with your current coach and nothing to do with Ivan Cleary.

You are also supposed to be shopping Egan Masters who had a great year under Ivan Cleary but has underperformed this season under the messiah in Madge.

Mate, you can’t have it both ways.

Das Hassler

Bench
West’s Tiger’s fan have every right to feel aggrieved about carrying the likes of Russell Packer and Ben Matulino on your books but if there is an issue with Matterson is surely is with your current coach and nothing to do with Ivan Cleary.

You are also supposed to be shopping Egan Masters who had a great year under Ivan Cleary but has underperformed this season under the messiah in Madge.

Mate, you can’t have it both ways.

Nah...not complaining...just finding black humour in how the gears mesh.
To add...Ivan didnt bring Marsters. I actually back Ivan as a coach in so far as the technical aspects of the game...but as most know that's not all there is to dealing with footballers

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Nah...not complaining...just finding black humour in how the gears mesh

Your team are no different from our team .

We are never going to recruit marquee signings we are just feeding of the crumbs in term of recruitment. It is what it is.

We are probably slightly more fortunate in terms of our junior nursery although I see no reason why the West Tigers should not be competing on an equal footing given your base extends into the Campbelltown - Southern Highlands region.

Personally I wouldn’t read to much into this Matterson issue particularly if it has anything to do with James Hooper as his credibility is basically zero.

I have a good friend who is connected with the West Tigers and he believes there is a strong chance Ben Matulino will be medically retired so that will free up some cap space for you but there is no positives on the Russell Packer front you are stuck with him basically. Sad thing is there is not even a club in the ESL who would be prepared to take him on.

Das Hassler

Bench
Your team are no different from our team .

We are never going to recruit marquee signings we are just feeding of the crumbs in term of recruitment. It is what it is.

We are probably slightly more fortunate in terms of our junior nursery although I see no reason why the West Tigers should not be competing on an equal footing given your base extends into the Campbelltown - Southern Highlands region.

Personally I wouldn’t read to much into this Matterson issue particularly if it has anything to do with James Hooper as his credibility is basically zero.

I have a good friend who is connected with the West Tigers and he believes there is a strong chance Ben Matulino will be medically retired so that will free up some cap space for you but there is no positives on the Russell Packer front you are stuck with him basically. Sad thing is there is not even a club in the ESL who would be prepared to take him on.

I couldn't think of one possible reason anyone would take Packer ..especially the ESL even if all they had to do was feed him....he's contributed nothing.
Hey....Ivan's a fan.....you never know

Kilkenny

Coach
I couldn't think of one possible reason anyone would take Packer ..especially the ESL even if all they had to do was feed him....he's contributed nothing.
Hey....Ivan's a fan.....you never know

I hate to break it to you but the Wests Tigers are stuck with Russell Packer.

The ESL is not a bottomless pit in terms of money and if he were to go there he would have to be prepared to take a pay cut and given what he is on with you guys I think he will be happy to play CC.

Das Hassler

Bench
I hate to break it to you but the Wests Tigers are stuck with Russell Packer.

The ESL is not a bottomless pit in terms of money and if he were to go there he would have to be prepared to take a pay cut and given what he is on with you guys I think he will be happy to play CC.

Dont worry...you're not breaking it to me...fully numbed to that reality long ago.

betcats

Referee

Cry me a river, it’s been a year time to get over it. Don’t worry you almost won as many games with Madge this year as you did with Ivan in charge last year, a couple more seasons to fix your cap and you’ll be right.

chrisD

Coach
Moylan being shopped around by the Sharks.

Any Takers??

My head says “f**k No”.
My Heart Screams “Moyzzza!!”

Hahaha
Yes but I think the relationship between him and key people at Penrith might be beyond reconciling.

But he is an instant fix to our biggest problem of not being able to get through a decent defensive line.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
This is obviously a philosophical point, there is no right answer. However, I fundamentally disagree with it. In my view you pick the players that make the best team. That normally means round peg, round hole. It's picking backrowers in the centre and centres at fullback (remember Whare?) that have led us to having such low point scoring capability. On rare occasions, a backrower might be a better centre (Menzies, SBW) but usually you weaken two positions at once, since you now have an inferior second rower as well.

Who says Naden can't read the game? Seems to have an uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time to sniff out a try. Let's see what a first grade off season can do for his physical capability. Even the Pie Face trainers should improve him.

So by that way of thinking Wade Graham would never of moved nor would of Cronk.. No doubt there is guys to fail but some that work out.

Naden and Crichton etc are long term projects a 22 year old Crichton is different then the 19 yo one we see now.

So if we can atleast improve our defence in the mean time then good outcome.

age.s

First Grade
My suspicion is that Tigers players being shopped around has more to do with the salary cap than anything else. Apparently their cap is shot, with several guys on big deals who aren't contributing and aren't able to be moved on.

I don't think the coach or playing environment is an issue with guys like Matterson or Marsters.

OldPanther

Coach
My suspicion is that Tigers players being shopped around has more to do with the salary cap than anything else. Apparently their cap is shot, with several guys on big deals who aren't contributing and aren't able to be moved on.

I don't think the coach or playing environment is an issue with guys like Matterson or Marsters.

That's what's being reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts