What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

yakstorm

First Grade
They are asking the NRL, as it is the NRL's event, not the Raiders.

As for why do they hold off selling Week 3 tickets now, you can thank the Wests Tigers v Dragons Preliminary back in 2005 for that. Dragons qualified for a Final at the SFS after defeating the Sharks in Round 1 and proceeded to sell over 30,000 tickets between then and when the Wests Tigers qualified after defeating the Broncos the following week.

There was then a huge blow up as Wests Tigers fans were arguably 'locked out' of the venue as there wasn't enough seats to go around (Wests Tigers v Brisbane at the SFS got over 36,000 on its own)

Naturally this was also back in the period where a minimum of 2 Finals had to be played at the SFS, so moving to ANZ (who were hosting Parramatta v North Queensland the next day) wasn't an option, but yeah after that blow up the NRL made the decision to hold off selling Week 3 Tickets until all fixtures in Week 2 were complete.

ouwet

Bench

As for why do they hold off selling Week 3 tickets now, you can thank the Wests Tigers v Dragons Preliminary back in 2005 for that. Dragons qualified for a Final at the SFS after defeating the Sharks in Round 1 and proceeded to sell over 30,000 tickets between then and when the Wests Tigers qualified after defeating the Broncos the following week.

There was then a huge blow up as Wests Tigers fans were arguably 'locked out' of the venue as there wasn't enough seats to go around (Wests Tigers v Brisbane at the SFS got over 36,000 on its own)

Naturally this was also back in the period where a minimum of 2 Finals had to be played at the SFS, so moving to ANZ (who were hosting Parramatta v North Queensland the next day) wasn't an option, but yeah after that blow up the NRL made the decision to hold off selling Week 3 Tickets until all fixtures in Week 2 were complete.

Remember it clearly!
I went with a large group to that game, even though St George clearly bought more tickets and had more supporters the split wasn't as bad... I think every single neutral/stadium member was cheering on the Tigers. It was great seeing the look of disappointment on St George supporters afterwards...

Perth Red

Post Whore

Easily solved by having a buy back scheme, then fans of teams who may get there arent missing out and can buy their tickets at same time as the qualified team.

adamkungl

Immortal
Easily solved by having a buy back scheme, then fans of teams who may get there arent missing out and can buy their tickets at same time as the qualified team.

Or better yet, who cares? It's a home semi for the team that qualified a week earlier

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Remember it clearly!
I went with a large group to that game, even though St George clearly bought more tickets and had more supporters the split wasn't as bad... I think every single neutral/stadium member was cheering on the Tigers. It was great seeing the look of disappointment on St George supporters afterwards...

Correct me if Im wrong but I remember there was some push to swap both Preliminary finals venues. They didnt announce the games till after week 2 of the finals but before you were able to get tickets for week 3.

I remember getting tickets for the SFS game and my Tigers mates got tickets for the ANZ game assuming they would play those games.

In the end we swapped tickets and the Parra Preliminary got more than the capacity at SFS

Back then if the minor premiers were a Sydney team and won the semi to progress to week 3 it was always an ANZ final

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
The AFL is struggling to sell out Richmond v Geelong due to their re-jig of seating categories at finals. Sections that were category three last year are now category one.

Richmond has over 100,000 members, many in the office expected it to sell out in minutes.

The NRL isn't the only one to struggle with pricing.

taipan

Referee
OK time for crowd predictions coming weekend.
Souths v Manly 25K I'd like for 30K
Storm v Eels. 23K

Stallion

First Grade
OK time for crowd predictions coming weekend.
Souths v Manly 25K I'd like for 30K
Storm v Eels. 23K

Souths v Manly : 45000 - caveat being it's decently promoted, reasonably priced tickets & good weather .
Melbourne v Parramatta: 26000. caveat being - reasonably priced tickets and promotion people tap into the AFL crowd that may enjoy a night out watching the Storm & PARRAMATTA.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Souths v Manly : 45000 - caveat being it's decently promoted, reasonably priced tickets & good weather .
Melbourne v Parramatta: 26000. caveat being - reasonably priced tickets and promotion people tap into the AFL crowd that may enjoy a night out watching the Storm & PARRAMATTA.
Gee that’s fearless. A prediction based on ready made excuses when you’re wrong!

Burns

First Grade
You know that wont happen, and will post about MaRKEetING when they aren't that large.

Stallion

First Grade
You know that wont happen, and will post about MaRKEetING when they aren't that large.

Welcome to a surprise! I recall not many expected a 59000 crowd for East v Souths in a minor premiership match about 5 years ago? I'd rather be positive than negative.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Do we have proof that these initiatives actually do much to help the crowd figure? My thinking is that media hype, stadium view and pricing are by far the biggest factors

You'd be correct, what I think this will do is convince a lot of the people who go to the Leagues club to watch the game will end up travelling down for the live match. I think it's always annoyed me that Manly Leagues (Easts Leagues too from the times I've been), have members in excess of the 20-30,000 mark and a good number go to the Leagues club but never games. If this gets an extra 1000 people down there I'm all for it.

Latest posts