What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Maybe, or they occasionally do have to let a player go to at least pretend to look cap compliant.

I can't stand the Roosters like the next bloke, but they are shrewd operators. We have historically been a basket case.

That has to end. Hold firm, Madge! NRL should de-register the bludger.

Shredder

Juniors
Weve given him permission to negotiate.
But, we still need to agree with the outcome.
So whatever the outcome is falls back on us.

Apparently he has a relationship with the new GC coach as he was the one who took him to the Roosters from the Eels. I dont care. Ive always had the view that if a player didnt want to be at a club, they should be let go.

And for all the people calling for him to play reggies - be smart. We already have more than $3mln in reggies, its not smart to add more to it.

It wont be a swap for Arrow as Arrow is off contract and can go wherever he wants.

My view, yes he played well this year. But we have a good crop of young forwards coming through and losing him and strengthening another position wouldn't suck.

Shredder

Juniors
More:

We have a LOT of players off contract next year and I expect Madge to put the broom through most of them regardless of what happens next year, so I wouldnt get attached to anyone. Brooks is the only one at this club who in my opinion is guaranteed not to go anywhere.

sharkman73

Juniors
Weve given him permission to negotiate.
But, we still need to agree with the outcome.
So whatever the outcome is falls back on us.

Apparently he has a relationship with the new GC coach as he was the one who took him to the Roosters from the Eels. I dont care. Ive always had the view that if a player didnt want to be at a club, they should be let go.

And for all the people calling for him to play reggies - be smart. We already have more than $3mln in reggies, its not smart to add more to it.

It wont be a swap for Arrow as Arrow is off contract and can go wherever he wants.

My view, yes he played well this year. But we have a good crop of young forwards coming through and losing him and strengthening another position wouldn't suck.

Arrow is contracted to the Titans next year.

Fordy20

Juniors
Jebus. If we swapped Matto for Arrow, with the Titans paying Arrow's freight for next year, that would be awesome.

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/d78da18722f28fe72d88037e1cf20888

Three NRL clubs linked to $800k Bird ... but Fatty says signing him is ‘a gamble’

exert

The player cleanout in the wake of the Broncos’ embarrassing NRL finals exit appears to have begun with Bird granted permission to leave the embattled club a year before his contract expires.

Canterbury, Penrith and Wests Tigers have already been identified as future homes for Bird.

But Vautin warned Bird was a risky signing considering his fitness history.

WT2K

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/d78da18722f28fe72d88037e1cf20888

Three NRL clubs linked to $800k Bird ... but Fatty says signing him is ‘a gamble’

exert

The player cleanout in the wake of the Broncos’ embarrassing NRL finals exit appears to have begun with Bird granted permission to leave the embattled club a year before his contract expires.

Canterbury, Penrith and Wests Tigers have already been identified as future homes for Bird.

But Vautin warned Bird was a risky signing considering his fitness history.

Can most likely take us out of that list. Same management company as RM. Then again they have twal, liddle and garner on the books too...

BrotherJim05

Bench
As much as we love to bag our own clubs management, I think they know what they are doing. They obviously don't want to keep Matterson if he has a shitty attitude, but letting him go sets a very dangerous precedent, and also f**ks us over by losing our best back rower who was not eating up a huge chunk of the cap.

The only win/win outcome is gaining a player of equal value, for roughly the same amount of money. I don't know if this talk about Arrow is true or not, but its the only realistic option I can see that doesn't f**k us over:
1. We pay Matterson's contract for 2020 ($350k) for Arrow to play here for 2020, then from 2021 Arrow will likely get $750k or something of that nature.
2. Medically retiring Ben Matulino covers Arrow's salary, but the difference for 2020 can be used to keep Benji for 1 more year.
3. If by some absolute godsend we can move Reynolds and Packer on we use it to raid the f**k out of Broncos/Sharks who have salary cap problems, and even try and get Titans players who no doubt will have "mental health issues" when the new coach comes in

gordsy

Juniors
More:

We have a LOT of players off contract next year and I expect Madge to put the broom through most of them regardless of what happens next year, so I wouldnt get attached to anyone. Brooks is the only one at this club who in my opinion is guaranteed not to go anywhere.
The problem with this is , we are going to sign a lot more Matterson type players in the next year or two. If we let Matterson shit all over us then that sends a message to all other mangers and players that you can come here for a year or so up your profile then have a sook and be able to sign a better deal elsewhere. Or we could take a stand, tell him to get f**ked and send a message that we won't play these games and good luck getting more money after you've been in reggies for a year.or two.

Tiger05

First Grade
The problem with this is , we are going to sign a lot more Matterson type players in the next year or two. If we let Matterson shit all over us then that sends a message to all other mangers and players that you can come here for a year or so up your profile then have a sook and be able to sign a better deal elsewhere. Or we could take a stand, tell him to get f**ked and send a message that we won't play these games and good luck getting more money after you've been in reggies for a year.or two.

If we can't get a deal f**k him. Tell him we have the lord God on our side.

I can just see us letting him go though because he is such a spoiled brat.

The unknown

Juniors
1. We pay Matterson's contract for 2020 ($350k) for Arrow to play here for 2020, then from 2021 Arrow will likely get $750k or something of that nature.
2. Medically retiring Ben Matulino covers Arrow's salary, but the difference for 2020 can be used to keep Benji for 1 more year.

Or ...

Matto can just be patient for 1 more year and the sooky f**k can get the remainder of Matulinos money.

Maybe hes taking advice from his stupid God

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Or ...

Matto can just be patient for 1 more year and the sooky f**k can get the remainder of Matulinos money.

Maybe hes taking advice from his stupid God

This guy is a real cock isn't he. I bet the club are more than willing to discuss an upgrade but he is escalating this as hard as he can.

super_coach

First Grade
A player like Arrow will get plenty of big contract offers so why would he pick us???
You can only do a player trade if you have a player willing to swap and at present we are not the most desirable destination for established NRL players. Okay for a up and comer looking for a chance it's a different story

Tiger05

First Grade
A player like Arrow will get plenty of big contract offers so why would he pick us???
You can only do a player trade if you have a player willing to swap and at present we are not the most desirable destination for established NRL players. Okay for a up and comer looking for a chance it's a different story

I don't see this working out for us. Our cap is the problem and this is going to impact our cap negatively.

Fordy20

Juniors

It's a hard sell isn't it? We have an opportunity for him to come and lead a pack of underrated, up and coming young forwards whilst working under a strong, competent coach who knows what it takes to win a premiership. But we're not a glamour club. The NRL administration hates us, we have a lot of cap tied up in long contracts for players who either can't or won't perform to their value and we have depth issues at hooker and in the outside backs.

Latest posts