What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL is made for TV

Crush

Coach
I was listening to talk back radio and they were discussing the poor crowds for the NRL finals compared to those of the AFL. Storm vs Roosters at the SCG they are giving away free tickets in order to make the ground appear more full.
A Victorian called in and was talking about how Melbourne has the most passionate sporting fans in Australia and for them sport was like religion blah blah blah.
I don't think just because NRL supporters don't attend games as the AFL code do that we are any less passionate. I am a good example. I very rarely attend live NRL. I much prefer to watch it from the comfort of my living room. But does that make me any less of a sporting fan than a Melbourne based AFL fan?
I watch every NRL game every weekend, I watch fox sport shows, I contribute to an NRL forum daily, I think I would classify myself as a die-hard sports fan.
Just because NRL fans choose not to attend games doesn't make them any lesser sporting fans IMO.
Lets face it, unlike AFL and Cricket, NRL is a game which is a much better product on TV. Especially these days with all of the instant replays.
The only reason that we need more fans to the grounds is so that its a better TV spectacle and appears more atmospheric.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Perhaps TV was made for NRL?

Given rugby league started way before we had TV, perhaps just like how the flap of a butterfly’s wings can cause a cyclone on the other side of the earth; the first kick off back in 1908 started a cosmic wave across the globe which caused scientists to start developing the TV?

It’s highly possible..

Given that most other TV productions involved a fabricated existence, either through the creation of sets or the creation of scripted narrative to be captured in the existing environment.

But there was rugby league, a purpose upon itself. A driving force, uniting strangers through both teamsmanship and fandom, for which visionaries such as Farnsworth and Baird were able to develop a medium to transport this pinnacle of humanity to the masses?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I was listening to talk back radio and they were discussing the poor crowds for the NRL finals compared to those of the AFL. Storm vs Roosters at the SCG they are giving away free tickets in order to make the ground appear more full.
A Victorian called in and was talking about how Melbourne has the most passionate sporting fans in Australia and for them sport was like religion blah blah blah.
I don't think just because NRL supporters don't attend games as the AFL code do that we are any less passionate. I am a good example. I very rarely attend live NRL. I much prefer to watch it from the comfort of my living room. But does that make me any less of a sporting fan than a Melbourne based AFL fan?
I watch every NRL game every weekend, I watch fox sport shows, I contribute to an NRL forum daily, I think I would classify myself as a die-hard sports fan.
Just because NRL fans choose not to attend games doesn't make them any lesser sporting fans IMO.
Lets face it, unlike AFL and Cricket, NRL is a game which is a much better product on TV. Especially these days with all of the instant replays.
The only reason that we need more fans to the grounds is so that its a better TV spectacle and appears more atmospheric.

Crush you indeed correct with your comments.

Another point to consider is that the Rorters don't have a lot of fans and that Melbourne stink anywhere else but in Melbourne.

To be a successful finals, the nrl need teams like the Dragons to be there.
Parramatta ate also big drawcards.

The Rooters & the Storm are probably the most hated teams around..... and the Broncos.

If the nrl really wanted to help itself, they would fast track Flanno to the Dragons as coach.

We have the biggest fan base.
They need us whether they want to admit it or not.

Beattie is a absolute idiot and brought nothing to the nrl brand. A hollow appointment.

Bench
I always used to go to live games but I can’t do that anymore so I watch league n Fox, no atmosphere like being there but the coverage overs all angles etc.
whilst I was living in California I used to follow the San Diego Charges and on game day if all the tickets were not sold there was no live TV it was very rare not to see the game televised as the club would buy what tickets were left and the game was televised..
Imagine that here in Sydney no games would ever be televised.

jeffdragon

Bench
Because is there anything else to do in melbourne beside go to the footy.
North melbourne don't have big crowds neither do the western bulldogs .
Look at marvel stadium when they play looks empty.
I would rather go to a saints game than watch on tv .
But it's not always possible.

Gareth67

First Grade
Perhaps TV was made for NRL?

Given rugby league started way before we had TV, perhaps just like how the flap of a butterfly’s wings can cause a cyclone on the other side of the earth; the first kick off back in 1908 started a cosmic wave across the globe which caused scientists to start developing the TV?

It’s highly possible..

Given that most other TV productions involved a fabricated existence, either through the creation of sets or the creation of scripted narrative to be captured in the existing environment.

But there was rugby league, a purpose upon itself. A driving force, uniting strangers through both teamsmanship and fandom, for which visionaries such as Farnsworth and Baird were able to develop a medium to transport this pinnacle of humanity to the masses?

I have no idea what all that means but by jingo it sounds great !
You missed your true calling muzby - you would had made a 1st class politician ( if there is such a entity ) .

Dragons 09

Juniors
I heard the same discussion on the radio and think it is a mixture of many obstacles.
As OKB said, Roosters don't have a lot of supporters who go to games regardless and the Storm are generally disliked by Sydneysiders so this particular game was always going to be a hard sell.

Then there's the ground, nothing worse (for me anyway) than watching NRL on an oval grounds. I use to hate going to QEII to watch Broncos V Dragons when the drongos played out of there as it felt like you were watching ants wrestling on the horizon, had to park a mile away from the ground and then traffic gridlock for an hour or so after the game.

I think a lot also depends on how your chosen team is travelling and the almighty dollar. If you are a cellar dweller, it gets harder to justify dropping a couple of hundred dollars on a spectacle that you know won't end well and will just ruin your day/night/weekend.

I'm one who would much prefer to watch the Dragons play live than on TV, but the stars need to align a lot more these days than perhaps they did in the past for that to occur. TV coverage is so good these days that things like bad weather, a poorly performing team, traffic chaos, oval fields, family commitments (seems like there are a million more things we have to do these days than in times past) and "big stadium small crowd atmosphere" are all things that have you questioning value for money of grandstand V's arm chair.

Suncorp Stadium, a weekend night game, balmy QLD weather with both teams entrenched firmly in the top 8 and travelling well and you would have to hog tie me to keep me away. Always a huge Dragons contingent at Suncorp among a crowd of 35 - 40 thousand plus and it just doesn't get much better. Make it a Thursday night game, raining or playing like busted's and languishing at the bottom of the ladder and i hear my arm chair calling my name.

Crush

Coach
I heard the same discussion on the radio and think it is a mixture of many obstacles.
As OKB said, Roosters don't have a lot of supporters who go to games regardless and the Storm are generally disliked by Sydneysiders so this particular game was always going to be a hard sell.

Then there's the ground, nothing worse (for me anyway) than watching NRL on an oval grounds. I use to hate going to QEII to watch Broncos V Dragons when the drongos played out of there as it felt like you were watching ants wrestling on the horizon, had to park a mile away from the ground and then traffic gridlock for an hour or so after the game.

I think a lot also depends on how your chosen team is travelling and the almighty dollar. If you are a cellar dweller, it gets harder to justify dropping a couple of hundred dollars on a spectacle that you know won't end well and will just ruin your day/night/weekend.

I'm one who would much prefer to watch the Dragons play live than on TV, but the stars need to align a lot more these days than perhaps they did in the past for that to occur. TV coverage is so good these days that things like bad weather, a poorly performing team, traffic chaos, oval fields, family commitments (seems like there are a million more things we have to do these days than in times past) and "big stadium small crowd atmosphere" are all things that have you questioning value for money of grandstand V's arm chair.

Suncorp Stadium, a weekend night game, balmy QLD weather with both teams entrenched firmly in the top 8 and travelling well and you would have to hog tie me to keep me away. Always a huge Dragons contingent at Suncorp among a crowd of 35 - 40 thousand plus and it just doesn't get much better. Make it a Thursday night game, raining or playing like busted's and languishing at the bottom of the ladder and i hear my arm chair calling my name.
I went to a dragons vs tigers game a couple of years back at ANZ. It was a terrible game live, no atmosphere, lacked intensity, boring as batshit. I was sitting on halfway too.
After the game I went home and watched the replay which I had taped. The game seemed exciting! The commentary was upbeat and you wouldn't have known that it lacked atmosphere live. I decided after that that NRL really is a better game on TV.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I went to a dragons vs tigers game a couple of years back at ANZ. It was a terrible game live, no atmosphere, lacked intensity, boring as batshit. I was sitting on halfway too.
After the game I went home and watched the replay which I had taped. The game seemed exciting! The commentary was upbeat and you wouldn't have known that it lacked atmosphere live. I decided after that that NRL really is a better game on TV.

Yep, i totally get that. I stopped into Suncorp on the way home from work a couple of years back to watch a Broncos V Warriors game. Weather was shithouse, a smallish crowd and dour one out footy, so i rang the missus at half time and asked her to record the 2nd half and i left and went home. When i watched the 2nd half back on TV it seemed like the place was buzzing, you felt like the game was on a knife edge and the commentators were talking up the play like it was a semi final.....the reality was just so much different.

blacksafake

First Grade
Your not Robinson Crusoe Crush

typicalfan

Coach
I agree with the overall sentiment. I think you want to go to a game to be closer to the overall experience, but it doesn't feel that way anymore. Granted one benefit is you can see what's happening off the ball which is often missed at home. First time I watched Slater live i saw just how much he influenced the game just by moving his players around in attack and defence and calling for plays.

But the last time I went to ANZ I felt the same, rubbish music while waiting for scrums or drop outs when you want to hear the player chatter, kills the spectacle amongst other things.

giboz71

First Grade
The NRL thrive on tribalism.

Think back to the 2009 prelim between Parra and the Dogs which got 70,000. The 2010 prelim between us and the Tigers got a similar crowd I think.

It's rare that 2 Sydney clubs with massive fan bases fight it out in a major semi any more. Parra stink most of the time, so do the Dogs and us. They are your 3 most passionate fan bases.

Usually, the Storm, the Cows, Brisbane have all featured in late season games so you're never going to get a big Sydney crowd.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The AFL live is an amazing experience, very tribal and full of atmosphere. You get almost 3 hours of entertainment (pre-game, game, post-game). Most grounds are accessable via public transport. However AFL on TV can be a bore, due to the ground size and sound effects dont transfer the supporters voices.
NRL on the other hand is almost the opposite of AFL. Live its ok, but the condensed nature of the game, makes for a better spectacle on TV where you can get a close up of the plays.
So, AFL live is better than NRL, but NRL on TV is better than NRL, imo.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I live in Canberra so that rings particularly true to me, especially when it’s nudging -10 some nights. The Dragons didn’t play there this season so haven’t attended a game yet. I would attend tonight’s game though if it didn’t sell out in minutes. It’s buzzing here today with the Raiders in the preliminaries and weed just legalised, up the Ders! On a serious note though League is a fantastic tv sport with the straight line, plus replays etc and multiple angles of every play you see it with a lot more depth.