What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Juniors in the GF

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’ve never really got RL’s obsession with juniors. I don’t care if the 17 playing are from Brisbane, Bradford or Mars as long as their winning.

It matters to fans whose club are generally poor at winning NRL games but have loads of kids playing RL funded by their pokie dens to lord it up over more successful NRL clubs. About the only purpose it serves.

ACTPanthers

Bench
It matters to fans whose club are generally poor at winning NRL games but have loads of kids playing RL funded by their pokie dens to lord it up over more successful NRL clubs. About the only purpose it serves.

It matters to RL as a whole really... Without juniors, you'd have no seniors, and without seniors, there'd be no comp... so there's that I suppose...

Perth Red

Post Whore
It matters to RL as a whole really... Without juniors, you'd have no seniors, and without seniors, there'd be no comp... so there's that I suppose...

Jnrs dont need NRL clubs running them, as shown by a vast number of Jnr clubs around the country not run by an NRL club.
Like I said LC's run most Jnr RL in NSW, ACt and Qland, not NRL FC's. If we lost pokies then itd be a much bigger issue than losing the NRL club in terms of jnr registrations. NRL clubs should be stepping in for elite pathways at 16-18 to develop the cream of the crop to professional level.

ReddFelon

Juniors
I’ve never really got RL’s obsession with juniors. I don’t care if the 17 playing are from Brisbane, Bradford or Mars as long as their winning.

As PR mentioned, it's pretty much just loser denial. Some bloke who likes a team who don't win often loves to believe that because someone played under 8s footy near where his NRL team is located is proof that a team from elsewhere isn't "really" the winner.

Rooster8

Juniors
As PR mentioned, it's pretty much just loser denial. Some bloke who likes a team who don't win often loves to believe that because someone played under 8s footy near where his NRL team is located is proof that a team from elsewhere isn't "really" the winner.
Probably the same bloke who complains about diversity when visiting the CBD.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Jnrs dont need NRL clubs running them, as shown by a vast number of Jnr clubs around the country not run by an NRL club.
Like I said LC's run most Jnr RL in NSW, ACt and Qland, not NRL FC's. If we lost pokies then itd be a much bigger issue than losing the NRL club in terms of jnr registrations. NRL clubs should be stepping in for elite pathways at 16-18 to develop the cream of the crop to professional level.
Ok... I didn’t say anything about LC’s and wasn’t responding to that part of your post.

Timbo said he doesn’t understand the obsession with juniors, you replied it only matters to fans of losing NRL clubs, I then replied to that particular part of your statement by saying that without any juniors there’d be no seniors, and therefore no NRL (this is somewhat paraphrased obviously). Nothing about licensed clubs, or any individual NRL clubs running of junior systems at all. Just the fact that matured NRL players don’t just grow in the fields, they need a system to go through.

FWIW I’m not disagreeing with the LC comments you made, I hate the fact my club is propped up by pokies and would love to abolish the evil things. But I’m also not naive and know that without that revenue, my club probably wouldn’t have the ability to fund junior football systems.

taipan

Referee

It can't be the Sharks, because they get stuff all from poker machines.Yet they have been in semis on a fairly regular basis .
Regardless of a club's junior numbers, people do like the fact Joe Blow is a local junior.It's hardly a necessity ,but it is a small plus.Just like the Turbo Bro at Manly have shown.

redVinme

Bench
It's an extention of the tribalism at the end of the day. People mostly follow thier local team and in that feel apart of a community that mostly feels the same. If the players come from said community then they feel more attachment to it.

I think it adds a great element to the game.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
If you’re born and play in Canberra who do you play state of origin for?
NSW, do not tell the Victorians, dumb fargs.

Anyways they are all VFL juniors, every kid in Australia having once been seen a Richington flag, and perhaps women's sport, which they invented.

There are few Chad of Iron Hair's that make it, if a kid from Orange is first signed for Canberra and only plays for Canberra......I guess some do not see Lockyer as a Brisbane junior.

Buy a clue, drink a glass of logic.

Lambretta

First Grade
The misery helps attract Poms to Canberra so you've got to take the good with the bad.

Canberra is as close in likeness to my home town, Milton Keynes , as any place I have been to. Every time I go there, i expect to see someone I knew from school walk around the corner

As such I feel utterly at home in Canberra. I imagine for someone from a Bradford Council estate, it must seem like Utopia. Like the Truman Show......

Perth Red

Post Whore
Canberra is as close in likeness to my home town, Milton Keynes , as any place I have been to. Every time I go there, i expect to see someone I knew from school walk around the corner

As such I feel utterly at home in Canberra. I imagine for someone from a Bradford Council estate, it must seem like Utopia. Like the Truman Show......

Haha, too true re like needs to Milton Keynes. Both soulless suburban ,modern, disconnected sht holes Lol.

Front-Rower

First Grade

Back in the day I suppose when you had boundaries and the competition was state based it made sense to invest big $$$$ in juniors and have them come through the ranks.

The competition now is a 'national' premiership. These clubs should not have the burden of supporting and funding juniors. They can play a role but the grass roots should be taken care of by the state bodies imo

lazza

Juniors
Maybe a better way to look at it is - out of all the players playing, which club were they a junior for? Then look at the origin / rep teams as well.

Then go ape shit at that clubs for not retaining them and keeping all the good players if they’re not on their side as essentially they get first pick! (oh wait, good senior clubs/management also play a factor in being developed to a superstar)!

Latest posts