What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 GF | PREMIERS - Roosters 14-8 Raiders @ ANZ

Grand Final: Roosters v Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skeepe

Immortal
Or just, you know, LOOK at the ref who was signalling last tackle before Wighton got the ball

So they should just look at the ref the entire play?

Give up son, you’re embarrassing yourself.

Section 16 rule 9. The referee cannot change a decision once made.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
They did. they immediately corrected the call both verbally and visually. The photo I posted shows Cummins very clearly signalling with his hand that it is the last tackle before Wighton takes possession, and well within Wighton's sightline.

Wighton missed the signal.

Again it’s ridiculous to expect the players to be watching the ref the whole time if you have ever played the game

So my team should be disadvantaged with an incorrect 6 again call? How is that more fair than the ref immediately correcting their call both verbally and visually by screaming "LAST LAST LAST" and holding his hand up signaling last?

Wighton should have quite easily been able to see Cummins signaling it was the last tackle:

https://pasteboard.co/IAI6xLM.png
IAI6xLM.png

e5cf529c-698f-43fd-bb33-b7ebb12f4bf8

The ref had call last tackle before Wighton even touched the ball and then called last tackle three more times

Valheru

Coach
Nah, the difference is a wrong call a team has a chance to recover from and deal with. Those are the 50/50's.

But a changed call at a crucial moment like the 6 again call, the raiders cannot recover from that decision for that set, as the decision wasn't changed until the player was tackled and it was a hand over.

Thats the difference for mine. It's semantics in the end. The Raiders had plenty of chances to score and couldn't get the job done.

The better salary cap enhanced team won on the day. But the refs, I honestly don't see the ref calamity we get nearly every game in any other major sport.

They had the ball for the first 20 of the 2nd half including 10 min against 12 men and couldn't score.

Was that the refs fault?

Uncle Kraka

Juniors
only fair result is to reverse the result of the game and change the final score to 40-8. Raiders were clearly going to score from that set then completely dominate the remaining 7 mins. NRL is f**ked

ironhorse

Juniors
So my team should be disadvantaged with an incorrect 6 again call? How is that more fair than the ref immediately correcting their call both verbally and visually by screaming "LAST LAST LAST" and holding his hand up signaling last?

Wighton should have quite easily been able to see Cummins signaling it was the last tackle:

https://pasteboard.co/IAI6xLM.png
IAI6xLM.png

e5cf529c-698f-43fd-bb33-b7ebb12f4bf8

Look at the timestamp, 30 seconds later the ref called 6 again

Danish

Referee
No, Cummins made an error he should have called last tackle initially. It isn't rocket science and it isn't the Roosters fault. What happened was a basket case.

Yes he errored in signalling 6 again. He then corrected it immediately both verbally and by signalling the last tackle with his hand, all well before Wighton took possession.

It was a bad call to wave 6 again, what would you propose Cummins do from there? Just knowingly give the Raiders 6 more tackles and disadvantage the roosters instead?

He f**ked up, and corrected it immediately. Wighton didn't see or hear the correction.

ReddFelon

Juniors
The better salary cap enhanced team won on the day. But the refs, I honestly don't see the ref calamity we get nearly every game in any other major sport.

Agree to disagree on the other part, but regarding this the answer is that both the NRL and the AFL are selling sports entertainment these days, just like the NFL and NBA. Global sports don't have as many issues because they have international governing bodies in control, but Australian and American sports have the ref issues because they're domestic Leagues that cater predominantly to spectators and broadcasters.

It's why the international rules for Basketball are different to the NBA. Same as how the NRL changes rules and 2+ years later the RLIF is forced to adopt them. That issue can only be solved by the broadcasters not having an influence, which won't happen in Australia because our sports make all their money off TV.

At the end of the day, the Roosters got a massive physiological advantage when we survived the sin bin period. Bad luck Canberra. Vive Le coq!

Reflector

Juniors
That game was all set to be fondly remembered as a true contest- one of the best GF's of the decade regardless of who won- and then Cumstain ruined it. Raiders had it all over the Roosters before that complete f**k over, they were finishing stronger, had more energy and mentally they were on top. It looked like just a matter of time before they scored the try that would seal the game and make the fairytale reality. I can't wait for the NRL's excuse as to how a supposed professional referee managed to balls it up so horribly in the biggest game of the year?

Roosters fans (with the exception of the most one-eyed) would have to be feeling bittersweet about this Premiership. I know I've got an empty feeling that I haven't experienced since the conclusion to 2006 and 1999 where in both deciders there were questionable calls that ruined the game. Rugby League was the loser tonight. The game was a crystal clear summary on this decade just gone in the NRL: We have an amazing code with more potential than the AFL in regards to expansion and total possible support- yet Greenberg and his cronies continue to f**k it up, show absolutely no consistency, blatant favouritism and are completely clueless as to why even long-term fans find it hard to bother watching like they used to- if at all?

It's like they live in this parallel universe where they assume that because everybody in their circle loves the Storm and the Roosters, so must the entire NRL fanbase. They would literally call Captain Slimy going around one more year and leading the Storm to a GF against the Roosters in 2020 a "feel-good ending" because OMG Cam Smith could retire a winner v Chooks emulate Parra with 3 in a row. They somehow manage to be completely tone-deaf to the very people this game depends on for support...

MilkShark

First Grade
Think of it this way.

How many times has this happened before? Never?

Ok now it’s the grand final, there is 80 thousand people yelling, you hear and see 6 again, and then a couple seconds later it’s called last tackle.

What do you think goes through the players head?

Do you have any idea how confusing that would have been?

blaza88z

Coach
The worst call of the night isn't the 6 again call, it was the 3rd minute call involving the trainer, the Raiders almost certainly score if not set up camp in the Roosters half, instead the Roosters get the ball back and score moments later

bileduct

Coach
The worst call of the night isn't the 6 again call, it was the 3rd minute call involving the trainer, the Raiders almost certainly score if not set up camp in the Roosters half, instead the Roosters get the ball back and score moments later
Yep, the rule is that the attacking team gets the ball when something outside of the rules of the game occurs that isn't the fault of either team. It was the Roosters f**king trainer on the field after only three minutes, and their fault.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Congrats Raiders on an incredible performance.

You should be proud of your team.

Also the Green Machine were great value at the stadium. I'm on a train full of them right now and everyone is being civil.

Good luck next year.

As for my Roosters I've never been prouder. We showed immense heart and courage in that second half when the Raiders were coming at us like a tidal wave.

I'll remember this day forever. Or maybe I'll forget it after another half dozen beers!

Oh... was there controversy? I'll have to catch up on it later.

All I've seen so far is a salty Russell Crowe tweet. lol@souffs.

lazza

Juniors
Yes he errored in signalling 6 again. He then corrected it immediately both verbally and by signalling the last tackle with his hand, all well before Wighton took possession.

It was a bad call to wave 6 again, what would you propose Cummins do from there? Just knowingly give the Raiders 6 more tackles and disadvantage the roosters instead?

He f**ked up, and corrected it immediately. Wighton didn't see or hear the correction.

The only thing he could really do was just to replay tackle 5 - but I guess our rules dont have that in the book!

Latest posts