What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Power Rankings preseason 2019

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He's clearly learned something from last year's failures and Eels look like a completely different team

And you still seem to think its ll about BA ?

Truth is the club held an inquiry as to why the performances were so poor.The result of the inquiry was that the coach needed more support hence all the staff I previously mentioned were hired to support him.

And all this happened before the NRL season begun.

adamkungl

Immortal
And you still seem to think its ll about BA ?

Truth is the club held an inquiry as to why the performances were so poor.The result of the inquiry was that the coach needed more support hence all the staff I previously mentioned were hired to support him.

And all this happened before the NRL season begun.

It might not be ALL about BA, but coaching is a results-based business, and coming 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th in 4 out of 5 years doesn't reflect well.
The coach is in charge of delivering good football, and the top coaches are in charge of everything that goes on in a club's football operations.
Who's decision was it to have no coaching staff last year? Why didn't the coach identify it as a major issue without an inquiry a year earlier? It's not local reserve grade.

Think of it this way, if BA was applying for a new job tomorrow, what would be on his resume?
* Made the finals once in 5 years (but it's not my fault)

This isn't an agenda, it's just looking at the ladder and the roster Twiz.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Who's decision was it to have no coaching staff last year?

it was a financial decision as we were broke as f**k after what happened in 2015 which I thought was a bit unfair on BA but also a lot of players didn't know what the future held, so some of the players have already admitted they were below par last year

Why didn't the coach identify it as a major issue without an inquiry a year earlier?

after all the crap he has been through, he has never made excuses or whinged about how difficult his job was last year and it was the club who decided to have the inquiry as to what direction we headed as more financial resources became available and one good decision was to focus on retention as we have some decent juniors and we debuted another one (Ray Stone) against the Tigers over Easter

A lot of people just look at the ladder and think he has done a crap job without know what he, or the club, have been through since 2015 and judge them by the 2018 results forgetting the fact they finished 4th the year before and you did bag them a fair bit last year.

adamkungl

Immortal
it was a financial decision as we were broke as f**k after what happened in 2015 which I thought was a bit unfair on BA but also a lot of players didn't know what the future held, so some of the players have already admitted they were below par last year

after all the crap he has been through, he has never made excuses or whinged about how difficult his job was last year and it was the club who decided to have the inquiry as to what direction we headed as more financial resources became available and one good decision was to focus on retention as we have some decent juniors and we debuted another one (Ray Stone) against the Tigers over Easter

A lot of people just look at the ladder and think he has done a crap job without know what he, or the club, have been through since 2015 and judge them by the 2018 results forgetting the fact they finished 4th the year before and you did bag them a fair bit last year.

Dropping 12 positions down the ladder will have that effect, the club was a shambles and aside from the purple patch of 2017 it has been for a full decade. Not sure what you expect.
If this year continues to improve, and rolls into next year, the club and BA will get the credit they deserve.

On a side note - poor results don't necessarily make someone a bad coach. As you say, there might be a hundred different circumstances.
But to be considered a successful coach or even a good coach, you do need to have some actual positive results.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Dropping 12 positions down the ladder will have that effect, the club was a shambles and aside from the purple patch of 2017 it has been for a full decade. Not sure what you expect.
If this year continues to improve, and rolls into next year, the club and BA will get the credit they deserve.

On a side note - poor results don't necessarily make someone a bad coach. As you say, there might be a hundred different circumstances.
But to be considered a successful coach or even a good coach, you do need to have some actual positive results.

well the results are improving but early days yet

Bazal

Post Whore
It might not be ALL about BA, but coaching is a results-based business, and coming 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th in 4 out of 5 years doesn't reflect well.
The coach is in charge of delivering good football, and the top coaches are in charge of everything that goes on in a club's football operations.
Who's decision was it to have no coaching staff last year? Why didn't the coach identify it as a major issue without an inquiry a year earlier? It's not local reserve grade.

Think of it this way, if BA was applying for a new job tomorrow, what would be on his resume?
* Made the finals once in 5 years (but it's not my fault)

This isn't an agenda, it's just looking at the ladder and the roster Twiz.

Well a hell of a lot of people underrated our roster based on the abject cock up that was 2018 to be fair.

BA has to take some responsibility for that wooden spoon, absolutely. But so do the players who failed him so badly. So does the board that failed to give him adequate support. So do the factions that continued to provide nothing but self centered off field drama. So does the fact we were homeless. So does the fact that key players from that 2017 over achieving side missed much of 2018 with injury. So does the fact that we were gutted in terms of the back office only two years earlier. Rightly so, mind you

Not necessarily agreeing with Twizz BTW, just saying there's a lot more to it than just the coach. We were an abject mess across the board last year.

I don't really rate power rankings anyway to be honest

Valheru

Coach
How do we view the coaches now the season is over.

Obviously robbo is number one.

Bellamy 2

Sticky to 3?

Mary 16

SBD82

Coach
How do we view the coaches now the season is over.

Obviously robbo is number one.

Bellamy 2

Sticky to 3?

Mary 16
Based on this year I’d say Stuart might be above Bellamy. I’ve been a huge critic of Stuart over the years but he showed maturity this year that I didn’t think he was capable of. I think that rubbed off on the way the team played.

Hasler also wouldn’t be out of place at 1 or 2. To turn Manly around in one season was pretty impressive. Had injuries and suspensions to key players to contend with, but he brought along several players that made the most of their potential.

JokerEel

Coach
Bellamy is number 1 hands down..

Can continue to create first grade players..

Robo is a Myth His 1/6/7 as well as his best DJ forward were all purchased when already developed... Anyone could have gotten that team to the finals.

Could not develop a replacement for Cronk next season so had to buy a player..

Robo is a Myth His 1/6/7 as well as his best DJ forward were all purchased when already developed... Anyone could have gotten that team to the finals.

ROFLMAO. I love the "anyone could have gotten that team to the finals" line. By your logic then, Ricky Stuart is a fraud as his only NRL Premiership win, at the Roosters in 2002, the squad was all assembled (bar Brett Mullins) before he signed with the club and all of the players were developed before he arrived.

Further, how then did Brian Smith in 1997 take the same Parramatta Eels squad, that Ron Hilditch had in 1996 (which finished 13th), to a 3rd place finish?

Also how did Jack Gibson in 1967 take the Roosters squad, which in 1966 had finished dead last and lost every game, with no new players, all the way to a 4th placed finish and the semi-finals?

Your assertion does not hold up in the cold light of day at all.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
1 Robinson
2 Bellamy
3 Stuart
4 Bennett
5 Hasler
6 Arthur
7 Morris
8 Maguire
9 Green
10 Pay
11 Seibold
12 Kearney
13 Cleary
14 McGregor

Holbrook and O'Brien obviously yet to coach

Valheru

Coach
Based on this year I’d say Stuart might be above Bellamy. I’ve been a huge critic of Stuart over the years but he showed maturity this year that I didn’t think he was capable of. I think that rubbed off on the way the team played.

Hasler also wouldn’t be out of place at 1 or 2. To turn Manly around in one season was pretty impressive. Had injuries and suspensions to key players to contend with, but he brought along several players that made the most of their potential.

Yeah I forgot about Des, he is 3 and sticky 4 for me.

I still have bellamy at 2, they did win the MP by 6 points.

Valheru

Coach

Possibly anyone could get that team to the finals but he has done more than that, 6 top 4 finishes, 4 minor premierships and 3 premierships in 7 seasons.

He cannot be denied

The 7 years before robbo was at the club yielded 1 wooden spoon, 3 bottom 4 finishes, 2 finals appearances and a lone GF on the back of Todd Carney.

Tiger5150

Bench
1 Robinson
2 Bellamy
3 Stuart
4 Bennett
5 Hasler
6 Arthur
7 Morris
8 Maguire
9 Green
10 Pay
11 Seibold
12 Kearney
13 Cleary
14 McGregor

Holbrook and O'Brien obviously yet to coach

Good list but I'd push Madge up a couple of spots. Missing the 8 in a 16 team comp is always a fail but getting that team close with that roster was a good performance. Definitely above Morris.

Hasler up a few for the same reason. Green down a few for the same reason.

JokerEel

Coach
ROFLMAO. I love the "anyone could have gotten that team to the finals" line. By your logic then, Ricky Stuart is a fraud as his only NRL Premiership win, at the Roosters in 2002, the squad was all assembled (bar Brett Mullins) before he signed with the club and all of the players were developed before he arrived.

Further, how then did Brian Smith in 1997 take the same Parramatta Eels squad, that Ron Hilditch had in 1996 (which finished 13th), to a 3rd place finish?

Also how did Jack Gibson in 1967 take the Roosters squad, which in 1966 had finished dead last and lost every game, with no new players, all the way to a 4th placed finish and the semi-finals?

Your assertion does not hold up in the cold light of day at all.

Ricky is a fraud same as Robbo both had sqaud built for them Once the squad started to move on and Ricky had to do some building you saw how bad he was..

Smith in 97 agree team was handed to him but he also rebuilt the team unlike your Hero Robbo..

Robbo has taken a team given to him and won a Grand Final he sits behind Ricky at the moment as Sticky actually has built a team himself...

Tommy Smith

Referee
Ricky is a fraud same as Robbo both had sqaud built for them Once the squad started to move on and Ricky had to do some building you saw how bad he was..

Smith in 97 agree team was handed to him but he also rebuilt the team unlike your Hero Robbo..

Robbo has taken a team given to him and won a Grand Final he sits behind Ricky at the moment as Sticky actually has built a team himself...
Oh dear.

Robbo inherited a team that missed the finals for two straight years - 2011/12.

It was a team struggling for an identity and with a notorious party culture. The defence was also very soft.

Since then he has built the foundations of the most dominant club of the NRL era; instilling hard work, humility and incredible defence as our cornerstones.

He has also brought through loads of excellent young players and developed them into top class players - Latrell, Manu, Verrills, Liu, SST, Radley... and that's just of the current crop.

He is a coaching genius.

Valheru

Coach
Oh dear.

Robbo inherited a team that missed the finals for two straight years - 2011/12.

It was a team struggling for an identity and with a notorious party culture. The defence was also very soft.

Since then he has built the foundations of the most dominant club of the NRL era; instilling hard work, humility and incredible defence as our cornerstones.

He has also brought through loads of excellent young players and developed them into top class players - Latrell, Manu, Verrills, Liu, SST, Radley... and that's just of the current crop.

He is a coaching genius.

Should we dredge up the thoughts of LU on our roster circa February 2013?

Knight Vision

First Grade
Possibly anyone could get that team to the finals but he has done more than that, 6 top 4 finishes, 4 minor premierships and 3 premierships in 7 seasons.

He cannot be denied

The 7 years before robbo was at the club yielded 1 wooden spoon, 3 bottom 4 finishes, 2 finals appearances and a lone GF on the back of Todd Carney.
The Rorters success has as much to do about the employment in 2012 of Peter O’Sullivan, the former Storm recruitment manager implicated in the salary cap breaches. No coincidence there. Although not at the Rorters any longer they are seeing the residual effect of his ...shall we say, very particular skill set and establishment of methods to "recruit" in a cap friendly way.

Valheru

Coach
The Rorters success has as much to do about the employment in 2012 of Peter O’Sullivan, the former Storm recruitment manager implicated in the salary cap breaches. No coincidence there. Although not at the Rorters any longer they are seeing the residual effect of his ...shall we say, very particular skill set and establishment of methods to "recruit" in a cap friendly way.

It hasn't helped the warriors.

Latest posts