What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Travel Thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Anyone been to Vietnam ,not as a soldier BTW? Interested in going believe the country is beautiful and cheap.

It is, and it is.

I dipped a toe for about 8 days a few years ago for the first time. Itching to go back but been doing other stuff since.

taipan

Referee
It is, and it is.

I dipped a toe for about 8 days a few years ago for the first time. Itching to go back but been doing other stuff since.

I heard the food is cheap as chips, but I worry about the 'Delhi" belly stuff?
Nothing worse than saying this food tastes great and a a couple of days later, your'e spreading technicolour yawns around the countryside.

Bazal

Post Whore
I heard the food is cheap as chips, but I worry about the 'Delhi" belly stuff?
Nothing worse than saying this food tastes great and a a couple of days later, your'e spreading technicolour yawns around the countryside.

I've never got food poisoning anywhere in SE Asia tbh. I lived in Malaysia for three years as well, so maybe that's luck... But still

Just eat what looks fresh and eat where the locals go, easy ground rules. The food in Vietnam is spectacular

Only time I’ve ever had any kind of food related illness in Asia was when I had a brain fade and drank the tap water in Singapore. Otherwise I’ve got through Malaysia, Singapore (a different time), Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, and Hong Kong with absolutely no issues.

Bazal

Post Whore
Only time I’ve ever had any kind of food related illness in Asia was when I had a brain fade and drank the tap water in Singapore. Otherwise I’ve got through Malaysia, Singapore (a different time), Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, and Hong Kong with absolutely no issues.
Tbh if you got sick off the tap water in Singapore I'm not sure how you cope with Aussie water...

Singapore tap water is better than at least four Aussie capital cities.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Tbh if you got sick off the tap water in Singapore I'm not sure how you cope with Aussie water...

Singapore tap water is better than at least four Aussie capital cities.
And those four are:

Tamworth - The country music capital
Kingston - The capital city of Norfolk Island
Launceston- The bogan capital
Darwin - The capital where they drink more beer than water so it doesn’t matter anyway

Bazal

Post Whore
Sometimes, when every response is smart arse, the mark gets missed wildly.

And that's OK

horrie hastings

First Grade

Heading to Singapore in a few weeks, health wise I am fine but my better half is on certain medications at the moment and the doctor said everything should be fine but made a special note that we should have breakfast in our hotel, not sure why though . Anyway any where I travel in the world I always have bottled water to drink, although there have been parts of Europe and the US where I have probably drank the tap water at various times. The doctor who had recently been to Singapore mentioned that stalls in the Hawker markets now have to have rating certificates displayed which are regularly checked for cleanliness, hygein etc. The last time I was in Singapore was 1993 and even though I never planned to eat at a Hawker market I checked a few out and I remember at one seeing a dog drinking out of the water people were washing dishes in. Think I had dinner every night at my hotel, they had a great buffet at the time, pigged out on oysters and it was the first time I had ever tried frog legs, staying at the same hotel again this trip, will be interested to see the changes.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Besides Singapore just starting to plan a trip to Europe later next year, using my long service leave. Have already booked a small cruise around some of the Greek Islands and part of Turkey and will be ending the trip at Sitges in Spain for a week on the beach and close enough to Barcelona with out the crowds . Just have to fill in a few more gaps with UK, Scotland, Ireland , Germany, Italy, Austria, Sweden , France all possibilities, it will all fall into place over the coming months.
Besides Europe have a couple of weeks up the coast at Grassy Head early next year, a nice sleepy little backwater on the north coast, nothing to do apart from going to the beach, go fishing, eat seafood and generally just unwind. Also have 5 days in Melbourne just after that and for my birthday I have booked into the Q Station at Manly and my better half is having a significant Birthday and we are booked into the Hydro Majestic for the June long weekend.
To round out this year have an old school friends catch up weekend down in Shellharbour in November then a small pre Christmas break in Narrabeen, a break which feels like you have left Sydney without leaving Sydney.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Loving Singapore at the moment apart from the humidity , it’s great seeing the old and the new, did a tour of the Hawkers markets with a local guide, food was so good made return trips, having lunch at Marina Bay Sands tomorrow, Food excellent at the Pan Pacific. Wine so fr*ggen expensive, beer so cheap. Haven’t been sick from the local water yet.

Bazal

Post Whore
Loving Singapore at the moment apart from the humidity , it’s great seeing the old and the new, did a tour of the Hawkers markets with a local guide, food was so good made return trips, having lunch at Marina Bay Sands tomorrow, Food excellent at the Pan Pacific. Wine so fr*ggen expensive, beer so cheap. Haven’t been sick from the local water yet.

Singapore f**king rocks.

And its expense level is vastly overstated.

adamkungl

Immortal
Also has anyone been to Bali?

@Mr Angry is looking for travel tips.

Haha

Bali gets a shit go due to bogans and dopey footy players.
Real nice place if you look outside the main drags of Kuta and Seminyak.
Great food, nice people when they aren't trying to sell you rubbish, some stunning scenery, heaps of tour activities. Has a bit of everything.
Sadly run down and rubbishy in places, a lot of poverty, but that's life outside of first-world wealthy capitals. I've been to European countries with some of the same issues.

Don't get me wrong - nothing wrong with a pissup beach holiday. It's probably a small minority that f**k it up for everyone. Pissing up near beaches is as good a way to wind down as any, and no judgement if you don't try and bottle anyone or fly-kick locals off scooters.
But if you hang around places with a deadshit reputation, chances are you'll come across deadshits.
Maybe footy players should go to one of the other hundred party islands on the planet that aren't filled with losers from suburban Sydney and Brisbane, they can afford to.
Still pissed up losers there but at least there's less chance of them videoing you

horrie hastings

First Grade
Singapore f**king rocks.

And its expense level is vastly overstated.

You can eat like a king at some of the local hawkers markets for $10 and be totally stuffed, food has been fantastic there, oyster omelettes yum. Had the buffet dinner at my hotel last night, $88 dollars but the food shitted over any buffet you get In Sydney for the equivalent price. Have drunk more beer than normal on this trip, the $8 Tiger longnecks in Chinatown have gone a treat. Had to laugh though that a small wine merchant in an arcade near where I’m staying had Eaglehawke wines by Wolf Blass with make an offer for $25 tickets on it.