What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Travel Thread

adamkungl

Immortal
Singapore..
Most local food is dirt cheap. It's awesome.
Shit beer is way overpriced. Better off drinking cocktails, better bang for your buck.
Western food is pricey.
And the Singapore Chilli Crab dish is very expensive but worth it

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
If you wish to support a government that oppresses it's own citizens, then go to Bali, a disgusting despot just on our border.

Go contribute to innocent people be oppressed and killed.

Have no conscience, get cheap drinks and exploit the poor oppressed locals.

That is you.

adamkungl

Immortal
If you wish to support a government that oppresses it's own citizens, then go to Bali, a disgusting despot just on our border.

Go contribute to innocent people be oppressed and killed.

Have no conscience, get cheap drinks and exploit the poor oppressed locals.

That is you.

You'd be crossing off three quarters of the world if you based your travel plans on government policies.

Lets start with Australia...
200+ years of screwing the indigenous folks
Killing the great barrier reef
locking up poor people in detention centres
Marching off to slaughter people in third world countries because the US or UK says so
etc etc etc

The point here isn't whether you agree specifically with the above or not - everyone will find something our government or any government has done that is pretty abhorrent.

Local Balinese people don't make the decisions coming from Jakarta.
If you go over there and eat at local joints, tip generously, pay a bit extra for private tours, don't be a dickhead fighting bogans in Kuta - locals are directly benefiting.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
You'd be crossing off three quarters of the world if you based your travel plans on government policies.

Lets start with Australia...
200+ years of screwing the indigenous folks
Killing the great barrier reef
locking up poor people in detention centres
Marching off to slaughter people in third world countries because the US or UK says so
etc etc etc

The point here isn't whether you agree specifically with the above or not - everyone will find something our government or any government has done that is pretty abhorrent.

Local Balinese people don't make the decisions coming from Jakarta.
If you go over there and eat at local joints, tip generously, pay a bit extra for private tours, don't be a dickhead fighting bogans in Kuta - locals are directly benefiting.
Past v now buy a clue. Get a calander

Go ahead help them, you are not alone.

Next stop Kabul, then Pyongyang

horrie hastings

First Grade
Singapore..
Most local food is dirt cheap. It's awesome.
Shit beer is way overpriced. Better off drinking cocktails, better bang for your buck.
Western food is pricey.
And the Singapore Chilli Crab dish is very expensive but worth it

Have been having cocktails and they about the equivalent price wise as Australia. Yes the local food has been fantastic, western food all over the place price wise but didn’t come over here to eat much western food. The wine prices in a lot of places has blown my mind though but happy to have cocktails and beer instead. Not a big fan of crab but had some at the hotel buffet last night and it was good and so were the equivalent of what we call Balmain bugs but the best was the chilli frog, yum, felt guilty for a second about eating frog but only for a second, had 3 serves but the best food has been some of the hawkers markets our guide took us too, so good that had a couple of return trips, they were so much better than the more tourist trap hawker market at Gluten Bay which is overpriced compared to some other areas, did see a guy wearing a Roosters jersey there though it was a highlight. Actually doing a western lunch today at Wolf Gang Pucks Spago at Marina Bay Sands, express lunch three courses for $49 but will be probably be stung price wise for alcohol but mainly going for the view so don’t really care.

adamkungl

Immortal
Have been having cocktails and they about the equivalent price wise as Australia. Yes the local food has been fantastic, western food all over the place price wise but didn’t come over here to eat much western food. The wine prices in a lot of places has blown my mind though but happy to have cocktails and beer instead. Not a big fan of crab but had some at the hotel buffet last night and it was good and so were the equivalent of what we call Balmain bugs but the best was the chilli frog, yum, felt guilty for a second about eating frog but only for a second, had 3 serves but the best food has been some of the hawkers markets our guide took us too, so good that had a couple of return trips, they were so much better than the more tourist trap hawker market at Gluten Bay which is overpriced compared to some other areas, did see a guy wearing a Roosters jersey there though it was a highlight. Actually doing a western lunch today at Wolf Gang Pucks Spago at Marina Bay Sands, express lunch three courses for $49 but will be probably be stung price wise for alcohol but mainly going for the view so don’t really care.

one of my favourite meals was called something like beehoon lala soup
Spicy seafood noodle soup, packed to the brim with prawns and clams. Just a random choice.

Indian and muslim food was good too, a lot of choices at the markets. Whole city seemed to be made of food courts.

horrie hastings

First Grade
one of my favourite meals was called something like beehoon lala soup
Spicy seafood noodle soup, packed to the brim with prawns and clams. Just a random choice.

Indian and muslim food was good too, a lot of choices at the markets. Whole city seemed to be made of food courts.

Yes have seen something like the beehoon you mention at a few places but haven’t tried it yet. The one thing I’m not doing though is the bar at Raffles, since it was renovated and re opened in the last 6 months or so the crowds have been ridiculous according to locals , walked past yesterday at 4.30pm and the line waiting to get into the Long Bar was hideous, I have had drinks at Raffles before in the 90s ,so couldn’t be bothered revisiting to line up and be stung $38 for a Singapore Sling.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Sounds lovely
yustinus-murib.jpg

This is where your dollars go.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I'd recommend not trying to achieve altitude in Singapore if you know what I mean. Killer.
I do not.

I spent three months there many years ago, a work thing. Great place.

I remain in contact with the lovely lady who is one of few who own a car, and is still the best business person I know. Legend she is.

horrie hastings

First Grade
What a great holiday in Singapore, spending $6 for a long neck of Tiger beer and paying $3 to $7 for some stunning food at various hawkers market but then paying overs for wine at my hotel but enjoying the ambience so much I couldn’t give a f*ck. Spending time pool side with a jug of sangria or a cocktail and also doing World War Two history tours and visiting the Kranji war cemetery was very moving, it has been one of those holidays which will be remembered, seeing the old and the new of Singapore, lunch at Wolf Gangs Pucks Spago at Marina Bay Sands was stunning and I would probably rate it as the best meal I have food wise and also for ambience and just being something special. Just wish I had another day or two here apart from the heat and humidity that crept in over the last few days.