What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

TheRam

Coach
wah wah

He turned the game into a professional business, dragging it kicking and screaming out of the small mind attitude that Gallop ran it as.

Smith was the best thing to happen to the NRL in the last 17 years

And therein lies the problem.

TheRam

Coach
As for V'landys and horse racing, boy was/is he out of touch with what is going on in his own backyard. Talk about dropping the ball. He should know exactly what is going on here. He even stated that Horse Racing was next in line by the animal rites groups and that the industry had to make sure that they got it right. So then he does nothing to facilitate(people on the ground) inspecting and tracking the retirement of their horses.

What a massive cluster f**k. I don't follow anything to do with racing, so what if anything has happened since the show was aired? Anyone know?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Going to have his hands full trying to justify the horrendous business he is in. Hope he has time to attend commission meetings!

Perth Red

Post Whore
As for V'landys and horse racing, boy was/is he out of touch with what is going on in his own backyard. Talk about dropping the ball. He should know exactly what is going on here. He even stated that Horse Racing was next in line by the animal rites groups and that the industry had to make sure that they got it right. So then he does nothing to facilitate(people on the ground) inspecting and tracking the retirement of their horses.

What a massive cluster f**k. I don't follow anything to do with racing, so what if anything has happened since the show was aired? Anyone know?

He knew, they all know. Same as greyhounds it’s an inconvenient truth. Nothing will change, they’ll pay some lip service but this is a billion $ business, they don’t give a sht about the horses once they stop earning and won’t care if a few people are turned off the “sport”.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going to have his hands full trying to justify the horrendous business he is in. Hope he has time to attend commission meetings!
And now that shit in horse racing will invariably see the NRL get dragged through the shit. It's what the media does.

No wonder they pushed so hard for him to replace Beattie. Pete was only good for gaffes.

V'landys brings a shit tonne of controversy.

Think of the clicks!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
He had no idea about the game and brought in these no punch rules and political correctness that we see today.
Rubbish, he didn't make those decisions.

He handled the drug saga at Cronulla superbly, engaged governments for grants after Gallop did SFA for years, he knew where TV was headed with streaming etc and upset Murdoch accordingly..........

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rubbish, he didn't make those decisions.

He handled the drug saga at Cronulla superbly, engaged governments for grants after Gallop did SFA for years, he new where TV was headed with streaming etc and upset Murdoch accordingly..........

he also produced the games first and only comprehensive publicly available strategic plan. He failed in expansion but he’s no loner there and he failed to understand the Machiavellian nature of rugby league and got suckered punch by the commission.

some11

Referee
The Mainstream Murdoch media have a massive hard on for him.

That's a red flag for me.
Think of the money that can be siphoned out of the game like it was under Gallop.

Only now that they don't own the game it will be done via favourable deals through their man.

TheRam

Coach
Making the game a professional well run business is a problem?

Shows how much attention we should be giving to your opinion.

Didn't say he was as useless as the other lot before him, but hardly a great leader either. The no punch rule sucks. It has caused more negative knock on affects then a simple punch does. The game has to know and decide what it is.

Do we worry about all the non supporters who only react to the negative things like a punch or the mummies that have always worried about little Timmy or do we cater to the majority of the fans who love the occasional unpredictable stoush and emotion that comes with it?

Sure no one wants cheap shots and they basically were already extinct, but a punch here and there is theatre and the public love it. I'm not talking about the cheap shot punch when someone just clocked someone when not ready either. When that happens the puncher should be sent straight off, no questions asked.

We have become a very reactive sport, that only worries about politically correct opinions, whether good for the game or not. That to me is the sign of weak leadership. Was Smith a good leader? Yes and no. He got some right and some wrong, so he hardly warrants being elevated to good or great leadership status.

At best in my opinion he was an average leader who spoke well in public. Which like I said, therein lies the problem. The NRL needs a GREAT leader to sort out all the merkins that will line up to fight him!

Frailty

First Grade
Didn't say he was as useless as the other lot before him, but hardly a great leader either. The no punch rule sucks. It has caused more negative knock on affects then a simple punch does. The game has to know and decide what it is.

Do we worry about all the non supporters who only react to the negative things like a punch or the mummies that have always worried about little Timmy or do we cater to the majority of the fans who love the occasional unpredictable stoush and emotion that comes with it?

Sure no one wants cheap shots and they basically were already extinct, but a punch here and there is theatre and the public love it. I'm not talking about the cheap shot punch when someone just clocked someone when not ready either. When that happens the puncher should be sent straight off, no questions asked.

We have become a very reactive sport, that only worries about politically correct opinions, whether good for the game or not. That to me is the sign of weak leadership. Was Smith a good leader? Yes and no. He got some right and some wrong, so he hardly warrants being elevated to good or great leadership status.

At best in my opinion he was an average leader who spoke well in public. Which like I said, therein lies the problem. The NRL needs a GREAT leader to sort out all the merkins that will line up to fight him!

Since when is making referees enforce rules against fighting political correctness?

I keep hearing political correctness thrown around, but it just seems it's a term misused to be 'any decision I don't like'.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

Of all the things he did for the game, much of which was great and long overdue, you're judging him on one rule about punching? Seriously? That redefines moronic.

The punching ban has helped to make the game more appealing to all audiences and only annoyed the dopey old merkins who were always going to bitch and moan about petty horseshit, because they're dopey mindless sheep who just accept whatever opinion Buzz and co tell them to.

TheRam

Coach
Since when is making referees enforce rules against fighting political correctness?

I keep hearing political correctness thrown around, but it just seems it's a term misused to be 'any decision I don't like'.

Yes it is now in the rules to sin bin any player that throws a punch, but it wasn't before. It was changed under Smiths leadership for the good image of the game. It used to be left to the discretion of the refs.

My stance on this is simple. Dog shots aside, the occasional punch here and there offended only those that don't follow or don't like the game anyway and actually created more interest and emotion for those that do. It showed real rivalry and hatred that every sports fan wants to see. It fuelled conflict and bitterness at much higher levels amongst the players themselves setting up greater interest and anticipation for players, fans and the media as a whole.

So who cares about appeasing non believers that only pipe up when they can put the boot in? The game thrives on hate. Always has and always will. Listen to the media so often now struggle to find a legitimate rivalry of hatred for games and they will clasp onto anything, even the most trivial contrarian word as a selling point. The book of feuds that Souths have is great but what good is it if the players emotions can't spill over every now and then. The best part of the first East v Souths game this season and the only bit that I readily recall is when Cody Walker and Cronk got stuck into it towards the end and what everyone was talking about. We all loved it.

A lot of people on these forums have stated over the last couple of years that the NRL is staid and boring and that it needs to freshen up to liven up again. Well the footy has been fantastic most of the time so it's not so much the core product itself. But it is lacking that one intangible element on a weekly basis that only hatred can bring and displayed for all to see when tempers flare and a punch is thrown here and there.

Sorry if that isn't PC enough for you champ.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes it is now in the rules to sin bin any player that throws a punch, but it wasn't before. It was changed under Smiths leadership for the good image of the game. It used to be left to the discretion of the refs.

My stance on this is simple. Dog shots aside, the occasional punch here and there offended only those that don't follow or don't like the game anyway and actually created more interest and emotion for those that do. It showed real rivalry and hatred that every sports fan wants to see. It fuelled conflict and bitterness at much higher levels amongst the players themselves setting up greater interest and anticipation for players, fans and the media as a whole.

So who cares about appeasing non believers that only pipe up when they can put the boot in? The game thrives on hate. Always has and always will. Listen to the media so often now struggle to find a legitimate rivalry of hatred for games and they will clasp onto anything, even the most trivial contrarian word as a selling point. The book of feuds that Souths have is great but what good is it if the players emotions can't spill over every now and then. The best part of the first East v Souths game this season and the only bit that I readily recall is when Cody Walker and Cronk got stuck into it towards the end and what everyone was talking about. We all loved it.

A lot of people on these forums have stated over the last couple of years that the NRL is staid and boring and that it needs to freshen up to liven up again. Well the footy has been fantastic most of the time so it's not so much the core product itself. But it is lacking that one intangible element on a weekly basis that only hatred can bring and displayed for all to see when tempers flare and a punch is thrown here and there.

It's not PC to create a cleaner game.

The game went through this phase in the 60's, 70's 80's and 90's with the only complaints coming from dickheads who whinge that the game is soft because spear tackles are outlawed, or head high tackles are banned, or that we have a blood bin, or that we have HIA's.

The game has to be both hard and tough as well as safe for the players as much as possible.

Banning blows to the head that are illegal is entirely logical. Why just last week we saw a boxer died after the number of blows he took to the head. He wasn't even 30.

Punches to the head can have serious damage. We don't need that shit in the game anymore.

Grow up.

TheRam

Coach
It's not PC to create a cleaner game.

The game went through this phase in the 60's, 70's 80's and 90's with the only complaints coming from dickheads who whinge that the game is soft because spear tackles are outlawed, or head high tackles are banned, or that we have a blood bin, or that we have HIA's.

The game has to be both hard and tough as well as safe for the players as much as possible.

Banning blows to the head that are illegal is entirely logical. Why just last week we saw a boxer died after the number of blows he took to the head. He wasn't even 30.

Punches to the head can have serious damage. We don't need that shit in the game anymore.

Grow up.

I never complained about any of that and doubt much resistance was ever made when those things were outlawed or changed.

But sure conflate everything with punching to make your point.

Frailty

First Grade

Again, explain how this is politically correct? You are using it as a pseudonym for a decision you don't like. It has no relevance in this discussion.

The rule was never changed - punching has always been against the laws of the game. There was a mandate to increase the punishment. In addition to this, it makes sense for this for with concussion and head injuries are key concern for professional sports and its athletes.

The game isn't about hatred. The game is about competition, skill, speed, and physicality. If you need hatred to enjoy a sport - you need to seek some professional help.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never complained about any of that and doubt much resistance was ever made when those things were outlawed or changed.

But sure conflate everything with punching to make your point.
I didn't say you did complain about that.

There was resistance by f**kheads like you, that it made the game soft.

What it did was made the game better.

Latest posts