What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Match Thread] Australia v New Zealand - 25 October 2019

taste2taste

Juniors
I wonder if the commentators will be joking about flies in the com box and wind socks during the next origin game ?

If the commentators take International league as a joke no wonder the majority of footy fans do too.

That was the thing I liked about CH 7 world cup coverage a few years back. They treated the game with a bit of respect.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Has anyone noticed the fact that there was, As far as I could tell, zero Oceania Cup branding at the game or on the jumpers?

This was ian Oceania cup game, wasn’t it? Was there any mention of it or any branding of it anywhere tonight?

Jim from Oz

Juniors
I should mention that when New Zealand played Tonga in June there was Oceania cup branding all over the place, including the referees!

NRLMad

Juniors
I just feel that officiating hadn’t changedZ Australia just hold down and gets away with it. Penalties were 3-0 to start. I think at the very least you need a neutral ref with pretty much his whistle in his pocket. Don’t call rubbish. Treat it like an origin game.

This has gone on for years, there is no change in sight. All Australia needs are small advantages and they win the game. Swing it the other way and the other teams win.

In order for New Zealand to win they need to offload. That’s how you get players like Johnson, RTS and Benji into play. You can’t match the boring Melbourne-based style Australia plays ... play to your strengths don’t try to match Australia

siv

First Grade
Wonder if the Tonga fiasco has caused it to be abandoned as Tonga technically forfeits to Australia

taste2taste

Juniors
The game was a dud but what can you expect when most haven't played in 6 weeks. Even more reason to play these games during the season.

Take away the 12 points from intercepts and the game is pretty close. Add NZ missing players and a few good kicks from Johnson and NZ could have won.

Agree with the above post that NZ need to play more unstructured. Even Mr know it all Gus was saying it during the call.

I think Johnson played himself out of a spot for next week. Surely Foran and Benji are the halves next week ?

yakstorm

First Grade
The Oceania Cup hasn't been abandoned, just the NRL values their own branding over anyone elses.

The Australia v NZ Test has had the old Telecom logo rip off since it was announced mid year whilst the Samoa v PNG Oceania Cup match was played under the NRL Pacific Test branding.

It's just typical of how the NRL do these things... Honestly I was surprised that the Refs actually had IRL branding on them as mid year they had NRL branding.

Legion

Juniors
What a ridiculous time of year to be playing rugby league.

Great to see Benji back in the Kiwi test team. The match against the Poms should be interesting.

Although I knew that Cook was quick off the mark, I had no idea that he could sprint so fast.

We won, yay, but playing in the heat so long after seasons end is not the best of ideas.
No wonder only 18,000 turned up to watch.
The NRL should have done everything within it's power to ensure the ground was full.
Play big games in places like the Gong & ticket prices need to be adjusted accordingly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NZ never fail to disappoint when it comes to one off test matches! On paper a very capable squad, on the field typical poor performances.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What a ridiculous time of year to be playing rugby league.

Great to see Benji back in the Kiwi test team. The match against the Poms should be interesting.

Although I knew that Cook was quick off the mark, I had no idea that he could sprint so fast.

We won, yay, but playing in the heat so long after seasons end is not the best of ideas.
No wonder only 18,000 turned up to watch.
The NRL should have done everything within it's power to ensure the ground was full.
Play big games in places like the Gong & ticket prices need to be adjusted accordingly.

do people in the gong have less money than everywhere else? I doubt $5 on a ticket price makes any difference. interest, promotion and quality of contest are why people pay big money to attend events, and this wasn’t big money!

adamkungl

Immortal
This tournament really needed a final. Give NZ a couple of games v GB then come back at Australia and see how they go.

Legion

Juniors
do people in the gong have less money than everywhere else? I doubt $5 on a ticket price makes any difference. interest, promotion and quality of contest are why people pay big money to attend events, and this wasn’t big money!
Wollongong is traditionally a battlers area.
Tickets for GA cost $60 [couldn't find the price of a kids ticket]

They could have offered special family rates or kids accompanied by an adult free.

Holding games in country areas/outside of Sydney are never going to be hugely profitable so they should have used it to promote the sport.
Filling the stadium should have been a priority. [They could have offered half price tickets at the gate an hour before kick off]

Legion

Juniors
This tournament really needed a final. Give NZ a couple of games v GB then come back at Australia and see how they go.
Normally I'd agree. These one off tests don't mean much. But, it's way too hot to be playing League.
Very poor scheduling.

Legion

Juniors
Lol.

It’s not even hot.
It was 32* yesterday in Sydneys west. [What I was thinking when I wrote the comment - and the players were sweating buckets]
You're right that Wollongong wasn't too bad at 26* max & it would've cooled some by kick-off.
A search showed that the Gong had some heavy rain y'day which would have kept the temp down.

But still, playing footy this time of year is running the risk of getting a really hot night.
Footy is a Winter sport for a reason after all.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
People so under rate how much a 9 means to a team.

NZ will not win for years with that half hooker, half backrower.

I back the Poms next week.

Lucky for us we went from C Smith to Cook.

NZ will be no threat until they find a proper 9.

Latest posts