What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Tommy Smith

Referee
Are any Tigers fans getting worried that Latrell is holding off intentionally and playing you, with the ultimate goal to sign with Souths once Sam Burgess' cap has been cleared off the cap?

That's the sneaking suspicion of a few Roosters fans.

Unfortunately for Latrell he won't get a release to the Bunnies, as hard as he might be trying, so will end up spending 2020 at Norths.

simmo05

Bench
Are any Tigers fans getting worried that Latrell is holding off intentionally and playing you, with the ultimate goal to sign with Souths once Sam Burgess' cap has been cleared off the cap?

Unfortunately for Latrell he won't get a release to the Bunnies, as hard as he might be trying, so will end up spending 2020 at Norths.
That's exactly what I am expecting to happen. However it took the NRL over 3 months to clear matalino off wests cap, so he might have to wait a while. Oh shit I forgot you were talking about the pride of the league for a minute there....

MKCS

Juniors
this arguement is always the worst

so youve lost 11 players and only signed 3? i must have missed how you only had a squad of 22 this year

well its actually illegal for the club to arrange third party agreements, you wouldnt be saying the roosters are breaking the cap are you?

Is it illegal for Politis to say to a mate over a business dinner "Oh yeah we'll make this deal but hey do me a favour, make an agreement with (Insert Roosters player here) for the next three seasons"?

If so then yes he's doing something illegal but there is always loopholes in these types of things. Hell, I think you'd find a lot of Politis' business contacts giving TPA to Roosters players just based on strategy to get more from Politis later.

I was simply pointing out top players. The likes of Brock Lamb, Drew Hutchison, Ryan Hall etc were signed but those guys were nothing but reserve graders on low money. We also brought guys up from the youth team such as Billy Smith and Sam Verills who would've been on nothing money. Even Manu and Latrell Mitchell were/may still be (In Manu's case) playing for under what they're actually worth.

In the past 7 years the Roosters have let so many classy players go. If they were cheating the cap they'd definitely have held onto the likes of Fergo, Maloney, Matterson etc and the Roosters halves combination for the past 2 years likely would've been Pearce/Cronk...

Vic Mackey

Referee

I do feel if he wanted to be a tiger it would have been signed off on by now so I definetly think he’s waiting to see if something else comes along

However I then remember Latrell openly saying Souths would be the last club he’d ever go to as he hates the GI comparisons and this would only increase them. Although when he said that he probably had zero intentions of ever leaving the roosters

Last edited:

lynx000

Juniors
I don't believe for a second the shit James Hooper is spinning here.
There's no way Trent Robinson plays Latrell Mitchell in reserve grade if somehow he ends up staying.
I agree, that sounds like a crunch play to either get him to resign or get him to leave so he is off their cap ala the Cowboys with Holmes.

Das Hassler

Bench
My guess is its probably not so much about Latrell holding out as the terms of releasing him from his 2020 contract still being thrashed out between the clubs...the process just seems to have been going on for a long time for the supporters.

Spot On

Coach

Easy for the Tigers to call his bluff.

Do they have the kahunas?

Valheru

Coach
Yeah I can't imagine a situation that has him staying at the roosters now.

Personally I think the hold up is that the roosters are refusing to pay a single cent of his wage next season if he does leave early and good on them.

Wayne Bennett brought his Broncos math skills along with him.

We lost Sam and GI but we're signing Latrell, Arrow and Fifita for less than they could earn elsewhere to play under Bennett. Radradra is homesick so is coming to us for less money. We may even shed someone like Gagai and then fit Tyson Frizell in as well.

It all makes sense.

mozza91

Coach
Wayne Bennett brought his Broncos math skills along with him.

We lost Sam and GI but we're signing Latrell, Arrow and Fifita for less than they could earn elsewhere to play under Bennett. Radradra is homesick so is coming to us for less money. We may even shed someone like Gagai and then fit Tyson Frizell in as well.

It all makes sense.
Plenty of room for Darius too.

Mader45

Juniors
Personally I think the hold up is that the roosters are refusing to pay a single cent of his wage next season if he does leave early and good on them.

Could be we're trying to save cash to buy another player we originally wanted.

Tigers style is we will lose both players through terrible negotiations, somehow end up paying the Roosters for a bag of beans for 4 years and have our excuses ready for 9th place in September 10 months early.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I have heard reports that Latrell has already rejected the Tigers offer.
I think Souths have been the plan all along and this has just been one giant circus tour orchestrated by his management in an attempt to get a release from the Roosters.

They know we won't let him go to Souths a year early. Hell will freeze over first.