What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an old saying I heard as a kid. 'Forwards win you the game, backs just determine by how much'.

If ths adage it true. I'm sure our current will step up to the mark real well.

As I say, go forward wasn’t an issue. We spent heaps of time camped in the final 20m, executing was the problem.

Ideally we needed a back who could create their own try, but admittedly they’re rare.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
I dunno, all our signings in the forwards, none in the backs. Disheartening tbh.

Go forward wasn’t our problem, execution was. I thought if we’d be signing a prop it’d be a purely depth signing.
we did need to replace RCG and the only thing I can think of with Capewell is that he will be used as centre or move Yeo/Martin/Kikau to FR... I dunno

Blade23

Juniors
Was that forward who verbally agreed to come here JWH?

Yes subject to a release from the chooks. They gave him permission to look around. They wouldn't guarantee him a longer deal. They then changed their mind later. Now he re-signed on a deal he originally wanted from them. To be fair he never wanted to leave in the first place.
We missed out on him, Glenn and Walker.

I think they were always going to try and sign an experienced but better value prop to replace RCG. So at $350,000 a season, that seems a value signing for an experienced premiership winning prop.

Sure, but I think you could get RCG’s output for even less than 350k. That’s how average RCG was.

Crashtest

Juniors
Sure, but I think you could get RCG’s output for even less than 350k. That’s how average RCG was.

I think it is a case of wanting more than just RCG's output from last season though, both on the field and at training. They get to bring in a hard edged, premiership winning, Kiwi international from a Roosters winning culture for $350,000, to replace a player that seemed a bit of head case towards the end there.

From Blade23's post, he said the Panthers were paying 20 to 25% of RCG's salary for 3 years, and nothing in the last 2 years. So if the $900,000 reported figure for RCG's contract is correct, the club has manged to release RCG, pay part of his salary, and sign a Kiwi international prop and a QLD reserve forward for the difference. I think that's a job well done.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think it is a case of wanting more than just RCG's output from last season though, both on the field and at training. They get to bring in a hard edged, premiership winning, Kiwi international from a Roosters winning culture for $350,000, to replace a player that seemed a bit of head case towards the end there.

From Blade23's post, he said the Panthers were paying 20 to 25% of RCG's salary for 3 years, and nothing in the last 2 years. So if the $900,000 reported figure for RCG's contract is correct, the club has manged to release RCG, pay part of his salary, and sign a Kiwi international prop and a QLD reserve forward for the difference. I think that's a job well done.

And fix the hooker issues

I really don’t think we need more than RCG’s output. And Leniu & Leota could’ve provided some of that anyway.

If we had a problem getting field good field position I’d totally understand, but we didn’t.

There’s no doubt though that Tetevano brings good numbers on the field, though. In and of itself it’s a good signing talent wise.

Roosters rule

Juniors
Yes subject to a release from the chooks. They gave him permission to look around. They wouldn't guarantee him a longer deal. They then changed their mind later. Now he re-signed on a deal he originally wanted from them. To be fair he never wanted to leave in the first place.

That is true.
I was told by a Roosters trainer mid year we needed money for upgrades (Latrell & SST) and Jared was told if he could get a better deal elsewhere he could go early. Around August/September he was off to Penrith. About the same time Latrell started to play up. You fill in the blanks there.
Jared is the heart and soul of the club. I am glad he didn't go.

Just on Tets.
What he did was disgraceful but he is a different person now. The whole time he was with us there was never a problem. I would say he has been rehabilitated and turned his life around. He is well liked and respected by his team mates and will be missed. A very positive attitude now. He bought into our culture and thrived. If he can rub that off on your club he will be a good buy.
On the field a good hard solid footballer.

kinghippo

Juniors
I dunno, all our signings in the forwards, none in the backs. Disheartening tbh.

Go forward wasn’t our problem, execution was. I thought if we’d be signing a prop it’d be a purely depth signing.
Hopefully a few more points generated with api and luai, but we haven’t really added anyone other teams are worried about.
Often just the threat of someone like Mitchell or radradra is enough to open up opportunities for the rest of the backline, especially in the 20 which is our Bermuda Triangle.
We always go missing as soon as we get there.

John Hamblin

Juniors
Shame you let one go in Sivo. But it happens. Parra have had there jnr stock raided by Tigers and Dogs the last 4 week. Lost one of there most promising props.And D.Brown is now testing market.
I reckon NRL should control all jnrs and bring in a draft.

I DON"T like the idea of a draft. WE spend about $2.5M per year on our juniors. I f we have a draft this would allow other clubs who spend little on their juniors to cherrypick the best kids. If we have to have a draft we should be allowed ( as was previously mooted) to keep the best 6 or so juniors each year. Any club that drafts a player from another area should pay compensation to either the club or junior club the payer comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts