What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

tri_colours

Juniors
Except the RL landscape in Perth isnt the same as the AFL landscape on the GC so your comparing apples and oranges. an NRL club doesnt cost as much as an AFL club to run (for example in 2018 Suns ahd a revenue of $40mill, twice what most NRL clubs run) so wouldn't lose so much and even with a $20mill grant the extra a new club brings in from TV has still made a net earn for the AFL as they are worth $26mill a year in TV value. In theory Perth should add more value TV wise due to time slot options and the fact there are actually RL fans in Perth watching the TV.

Out of interest where did you get the GC Suns $10mill loss info from as in 2018 they made a small profit, all be it with a sizeable AFL grant allocation.?

Take GWS , also similar . Similar to the Suns
Take the Storm, millions were put in annually for ten plus+ years before we started seeing any positive results.

Look any where on the web you will find similar figures. Starkers quoted Wookie the other day, I think he said the AFL had outlayed $150m for the two start up clubs over the past 7 years

And the NRL obviously think there not going to make money at least not as much as they will lose. The NRL desperately want to get as much or more next deal , so what other explanation is there?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Take GWS , also similar . Similar to the Suns
Take the Storm, millions were put in annually for ten plus+ years before we started seeing any positive results.

Look any where on the web you will find similar figures. Starkers quoted Wookie , I think he said the AFL had outlayed $160m for the two start up clubs over the past 7 years

And the NRL obviously think there not going to make money at least not as much as they will lose. The NRL desperately want to get as much or more next deal , so what other explanation is there?

Again they may well have put in $170mill, in fact they have put in significantly more by my calculations, however the value add from the ninth game content has been significantly higher than their investment in the two extra clubs so they are making money, expanding their game into new areas and able to fund those clubs that are high risk at the moment. Storm has cost the NRL about $25mill more than most other clubs (Titans and Newcastle cost them as well) over the twenty years. Id say that is a damn good investment considering they are now one of the biggest clubs in the sport, the most watched on pay tv and have built a great fanbase in the AFL stronghold of Melbourne.

In the mean time we continue to do nothing. Why do the AFL make money when we think we cant? Haven't we got the most watched sport on TV? How can extra content not be worth more than the $25mill'ish a year it will cost to have two new clubs? AFL claim there ninth game is worth $52mill a year, how can ours not be worth even half that?

RL has always talked itself down, been insecure, been happy to play second fiddle and lacked great leadership. This is just another example of it.

Last edited:

NRLMad

Juniors
I think they’ll do this ..
- get a better deal on current, leave expansion off table, allowing for an additional conversation later if new teams are introduced.
- 2 year/s later introduce a new game with 2 new teams and negotiate with rival or incumbent
- Perth and Brisbane offer best value but there is merit in NZ 2

tri_colours

Juniors
The Storm loses were way more than that.
Wouldn’t mind seeing a link to back this up..

Do the AFL claim this, or was it as I recall something the boss of the GWS Giants made up to justify their existence?

Sounds a bit like some of Gil's other claims.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wouldn’t mind seeing a link to back this up..

Do the AFL claim this, or was it as I recall something the boss of the GWS Giants made up to justify their existence?

yes it was but I didn’t see it refuted by anyone in their game. Their tv deal went from $780mill to $1.25bill. A significant jump that would have been partly due to the extra content.

The Storm loses were way more than that.

the storms early years were covered by their owners. It was only when news ltd pulled out that the nrl agreed to a guaranteed extra payment for five years.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I am only interested in how I can stream it, who has the rights to that is what matters to me as the consumer.

FTV is a dying medium, pft need an aerial, cannot use a FTV walking, I will never have a paytv box again, can stream that now. Do people seriously watch Free TV, I do not know anyone younger than me who does. I am not young, but anyone who can use the web like a second nature.

If Fox stream all games they will have a subscriber.

I want to see SoO digital rights seperated from the riduclous federal laws about FTV big sports events streaming CH9, CH7 sucks dogs balls, still rank amatuers.

For example you should not have to provide a login to watch SoO if Ch9 are going to stream it, you do not have to login watch with a freakin aerial. That is on the silly federal laws.

tri_colours

Juniors
yes it was but I didn’t see it refuted by anyone in their game. Their tv deal went from $780mill to $1.25bill. A significant jump that would have been partly due to the extra content.

the storms early years were covered by their owners. It was only when news ltd pulled out that the nrl agreed to a guaranteed extra payment for five years.

At that time ours went from around $450m over 6years, to $1.025B So we had a far bigger increase without expansion with just one club

Storm lost an estimated $75m in there first 10 years.

franklin2323

Immortal
How much costs would production from Perth be? Throw in the extra club grant and that could be the issue... no doubt will get sorted but that is why the expansion talk is getting done in private

Perth Red

Post Whore
How much costs would production from Perth be? Throw in the extra club grant and that could be the issue... no doubt will get sorted but that is why the expansion talk is getting done in private

they have a production team in perth for sports events so not really anymore than anywhere else.

two new clubs will cost in the region of $25mill a year. If the nrl can’t sell an extra game for around that then we can pretty much accept that the nrl is as it will be for many many years to come.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
At that time ours went from around $450m over 6years, to $1.025B So we had a far bigger increase without expansion with just one club

Storm lost an estimated $75m in there first 10 years.

so a consistent $50mill ish a year more since they expanded. I guess you’ve proved their claim of the value of extra content.

and?(presuming it’s that amount that their owners spent on them, any evidence?)
How much have the penns put into manly, or Crowe into Souths, or the LC into Eels or panthers or the forced sales of assets to clear sharks debts?
It’s not like many nrl clubs are genuinely making money! Nrl has invested around an extra $25mill into Storm over years, a good return on that expansion investment I’d say given the value of the club to the sport,

franklin2323

Immortal
they have a production team in perth for sports events so not really anymore than anywhere else.

since when? A mate of mine used to drive the truck around the country following the cricket. At over $1m a setup it was cheaper then buying another one

franklin2323

Immortal
so a consistent $50mill ish a year more since they expanded. I guess you’ve proved their claim of the value of extra content.

and? How much have the penns put into manly, or Crowe into Souths, or the LC into Eels or panthers or sales of assets into sharks? It’s not like many nrl clubs are genuinely making money! Nrl has invested around an extra $25mill into Storm over years, a good return on that expansion investment I’d say given the value of the club to the sport,

Panthers wouldn’t lose money if they played out of Bankwest and didn’t run their juniors.. some loss can be justified.

I’d argue Melbourne has been a waste and if not done better Perth will too and Bris 2 only need to look at GC to see it doesn’t nessarily mean success

Perth Red

Post Whore
since when? A mate of mine used to drive the truck around the country following the cricket. At over $1m a setup it was cheaper then buying another one

when we’ve had nrl games here it has largely been the perth based sports production team, commentators aside, Do you think they truck people over Every week for afl, Aleague, basketball, netball, cricket etc coverage?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Panthers wouldn’t lose money if they played out of Bankwest and didn’t run their juniors.. some loss can be justified.

I’d argue Melbourne has been a waste and if not done better Perth will too and Bris 2 only need to look at GC to see it doesn’t nessarily mean success

The only failing of Melbourne has been lack of jnr players but that’s the nrl and nrlvic responsibility, not the nrl’s club. Every other measure they have been a hugely successful expansion story. What measures are you judging them a waste by? Tv wise they have added great value, without them we wouldn’t be close in the tv audience battle with afl.

franklin2323

Immortal
The only failing of Melbourne has been lack of jnr players but that’s the nrl and nrlvic responsibility, not the nrl’s club. Every other measure they have been a hugely successful expansion story. What measures are you judging them a waste by? Tv wise they have added great value, without them we wouldn’t be close in the tv audience battle with afl.

The lack of impact under NRL level in Victoria.
The fact only 2 Victorian born players have played for them.
The fact they ship their 2nd tier players off to QLD.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The lack of impact under NRL level in Victoria.
The fact only 2 Victorian born players have played for them.
The fact they ship their 2nd tier players off to QLD.

none of which are storms issues, grassroots isn’t their responsibility. They have shown time and again if you give them a decent 16-18 year old they can turn them into a superstar. Nrl vic, with the funding of nrl, need to be the ones getting more kids playing so storm have a better choice for their elite jnr pathway program.

Starkers

Bench
none of which are storms issues, grassroots isn’t their responsibility. They have shown time and again if you give them a decent 16-18 year old they can turn them into a superstar. Nrl vic, with the funding of nrl, need to be the ones getting more kids playing so storm have a better choice for their elite jnr pathway program.
I agree, they need the NRL to put the funding down into VicRL but then when the juniors do come through Storm can't take credit, NRL has to. But we all know that's not the way to do it either. Should let Storm do their own juniors then NRL pays for the Dev Officer.

tri_colours

Juniors

I agree that Melbourne been very successful. But that after 10 years . $100m investment that the NRL are not prepared to make at the moment. And rightly so! the NRL is shouldn't be risking the game future on some 25k viewers in Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree that Melbourne been very successful. But that after 10 years . $100m investment that the NRL are not prepared to make at the moment. And rightly so! the NRL is shouldn't be risking the game future on some 25k viewers in Perth.

NRL has only invested $25mill more than other clubs in Melbourne, and been repaid with more viewers, more attraction for sponsors and a very strong club. If Perth can deliver what Melbourne has then it would be a very wise move, we arent likely getting a lot more revenue without a stronger national footprint is the reality.

Latest posts