What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Third Party agreements...Believe it or not ?

getsmarty

Immortal
No more salary cap sombrero gags! Roosters among the lowest in TPAs after overall drop in 2019
NRL Premiership
  • December 13, 2019 9:29pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
86547f57cd196a24f69f2ab9b52c47f4

The Roosters are among the lowest clubs for recorded TPAs in 2019.Source: AAP
There has been a decrease in outside-the-cap payments among the 16 clubs of almost $2 million in 2019 following the NRL’s crackdown on third-party agreements to improve transparency.

And running counter-intuitively to the salary cap sombrero gags, the Roosters were the third lowest of all the clubs with only $69,000 worth of private sector TPAs. Although Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco benefited from whole of game sponsorship, which wasn’t included.

The Melbourne Storm were the highest with $810,000 this year, still down from the just over $1m they recorded in 2018 following the retirement of Billy Slater.

The NRL first made third-party agreements public last year in a bid to improve confidence in the integrity of the code’s contract process, and they did likewise on Friday — revealing that there was a reduction from $7.8 million of totals TPAs in 2018 to just $6 million this year.

There are various different TPAs — including motor vehicles, whole of game sponsorship and community and contra deals — but it’s the private sector arm’s length agreements that have been most eagerly placed under the microscope by supporters.

Of the $6m of TPAs in 2019, only $2.7m came from private sector arm’s length agreements, significantly less than the $4.7m 12 months earlier.

Only the Bulldogs, Eels, Knights and Tigers registered small increases in private sector TPAs, with the remaining 12 clubs experiencing a decrease from last year to 2019.

“These figures show a significant decline in the amount of third-party agreements across the game,” NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks said.

“The reduction reflects the retirement of some of the game’s elite players and the effectiveness of additional checks and balances we have put in place to identify noncompliance with the rules are working. We recognised the genuine concerns our clubs and fans had about third-party agreements.

“That’s why we introduced more strenuous measures to ensure these arrangements are genuine arms-length deals. We are confident that this level of transparency about third-party agreements will improve confidence in the effective operation of the salary cap and reduce the amount of speculation and guess work about this part of the game.”

YOUR CLUB’S TPA FOR 2019

Brisbane Broncos: $349,852

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs: $59,680

North Queensland Cowboys: $15,667

St George Illawarra Dragons: $82,951

Parramatta Eels: $80,166

Newcastle Knights: $181,275

Penrith Panthers: $233,333

South Sydney Rabbitohs: $198,591

Canberra Raiders: $45,333

Sydney Roosters: $68,966

Manly Sea Eagles: $148,718

Cronulla Sharks: $211,952

Melbourne Storm: $809,998

Gold Coast Titans: $18,153

New Zealand Warriors: $27,591

Wests Tigers: $132,458

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/dd97dfd5529ee26499442dfb4e859e03

getsmarty

Immortal
manuj_2nh_5816.jpg

NRL NEWS

NRL crackdown leads to dramatic drop in third-party deals
Author
Michael Chammas Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 13 Dec 2019, 06:00 PM
chammas-michael-head.png

The NRL's crackdown on third-party agreements has led to a drop of almost $2 million over the past year in outside-the-cap payments, with premiers Sydney Roosters one of the lowest and Melbourne the highest.

In a bid to provide clarity around one of the game's taboo topics, the NRL last year decided to make third-party agreements public and followed through again on Friday to highlight the improvement in transparency and integrity of the code's contract process.

It is deemed to be a contributing factor that led to a reduction from $7.8 million of totals TPAs in 2018 to just $6m this year.

While there are a range of contributing factors, including the retirements of some of the game's superstars like Johnathan Thurston and Billy Slater, the NRL believes clubs are beginning to understand the repercussions of breaking the rules.

There are a range of different TPAs – which include motor vehicles, whole of game sponsorship and community and contra deals – however the private sector arm's length agreements are what have traditionally been most questioned by fans.

tpa_20191213.jpg

Of the $6m of TPAs in 2019, only $2.7m came from private sector arm's length agreements, significantly less than the $4.7m 12 months earlier.

The club with the highest amount of private sector TPAs in 2019 was once again the Melbourne Storm, however the retirement of Slater is understood to have contributed heavily to the drop from just over $1m last year to $810,000 this year.

The next highest clubs included the Broncos (down from $780,000 to $350,000), Panthers ($233,000), Sharks ($212,000) and Rabbitohs ($199,000).

tpa_201912132.jpg

The Roosters had just $69,000 worth of private sector TPAs, however the likes of Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco benefited from additional whole of game sponsorship which wasn't included in the team-by-team breakdown.

The team with the lowest amount of private sector TPAs was the Cowboys, dropping from the third most in 2018 with $350,000 to just $16,000 following the retirement of Thurston.

Other teams with a small amount of TPAs included the Titans ($18,000) and the Warriors ($28,000).

Twelve clubs experienced a decrease in private sector TPAs from 2018 to 2019, with only the Bulldogs, Eels, Knights and Tigers registering minimal growth.

"These figures show a significant decline in the amount of third-party agreements across the game," NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks said.

"The reduction reflects the retirement of some of the game's elite players and the effectiveness of additional checks and balances we have put in place to identify noncompliance with the rules are working. We recognised the genuine concerns our clubs and fans had about third-party agreements.

tpa_201912133.jpg

"That's why we introduced more strenuous measures to ensure these arrangements are genuine arms-length deals. We are confident that this level of transparency about third-party agreements will improve confidence in the effective operation of the salary cap and reduce the amount of speculation and guess work about this part of the game."

The top five players who benefit from TPAs make up 48% of the total amount, with the number of players with agreements dropping from 94 to 81 in the past 12 months.

The number of total agreements has also dropped from 205 to 172.

In 2019, total TPA market was the equivalent of 3.9% of the total salary cap (10 per cent in 2016) and less than 2% for private sector arms-length agreements (five per cent in 2016).

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/13/nrl-crackdown-leads-to-dramatic-drop-in-third-party-deals/

BLM01

First Grade
No more salary cap sombrero gags! Roosters among the lowest in TPAs after overall drop in 2019
NRL Premiership
  • December 13, 2019 9:29pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
86547f57cd196a24f69f2ab9b52c47f4

The Roosters are among the lowest clubs for recorded TPAs in 2019.Source: AAP
There has been a decrease in outside-the-cap payments among the 16 clubs of almost $2 million in 2019 following the NRL’s crackdown on third-party agreements to improve transparency.

And running counter-intuitively to the salary cap sombrero gags, the Roosters were the third lowest of all the clubs with only $69,000 worth of private sector TPAs. Although Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco benefited from whole of game sponsorship, which wasn’t included.

The Melbourne Storm were the highest with $810,000 this year, still down from the just over $1m they recorded in 2018 following the retirement of Billy Slater.

The NRL first made third-party agreements public last year in a bid to improve confidence in the integrity of the code’s contract process, and they did likewise on Friday — revealing that there was a reduction from $7.8 million of totals TPAs in 2018 to just $6 million this year.

There are various different TPAs — including motor vehicles, whole of game sponsorship and community and contra deals — but it’s the private sector arm’s length agreements that have been most eagerly placed under the microscope by supporters.

Of the $6m of TPAs in 2019, only $2.7m came from private sector arm’s length agreements, significantly less than the $4.7m 12 months earlier.

Only the Bulldogs, Eels, Knights and Tigers registered small increases in private sector TPAs, with the remaining 12 clubs experiencing a decrease from last year to 2019.

“These figures show a significant decline in the amount of third-party agreements across the game,” NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks said.

“The reduction reflects the retirement of some of the game’s elite players and the effectiveness of additional checks and balances we have put in place to identify noncompliance with the rules are working. We recognised the genuine concerns our clubs and fans had about third-party agreements.

“That’s why we introduced more strenuous measures to ensure these arrangements are genuine arms-length deals. We are confident that this level of transparency about third-party agreements will improve confidence in the effective operation of the salary cap and reduce the amount of speculation and guess work about this part of the game.”

YOUR CLUB’S TPA FOR 2019

Brisbane Broncos: $349,852

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs: $59,680

North Queensland Cowboys: $15,667

St George Illawarra Dragons: $82,951

Parramatta Eels: $80,166

Newcastle Knights: $181,275

Penrith Panthers: $233,333

South Sydney Rabbitohs: $198,591

Canberra Raiders: $45,333

Sydney Roosters: $68,966

Manly Sea Eagles: $148,718

Cronulla Sharks: $211,952

Melbourne Storm: $809,998

Gold Coast Titans: $18,153

New Zealand Warriors: $27,591

Wests Tigers: $132,458

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/dd97dfd5529ee26499442dfb4e859e03
I see it..but I donnnntt believe it
Nth QLD...how?..the lowest...pfffttt
"However the likes of Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco benefited from additional whole of game sponsorship which wasn't included in the team-by-team breakdown".
That is the unanswered key here in the article....some are getting sponsorship under TPA's...not included...why and how?

BLM01

First Grade
Correct....as it is a public forum, I believe we need to be careful in what we say...I have one particular story about a club who's player was being billeted by a friend and let's just say he was well looked after...I'll leave it at that.
86..I could tell you a lot more re 1st grade and how they may be paid but we all have good imaginations and legal ways (in regards to loopholes of law and some NRL law) of doing stuff so enough said.
All these articles are there for the NRL to try and suppress the vitriole through social and public media places and always paint half the picture that everything is OK. Every week of every year the NRL justify...everything is fine and OK on what they do and hey in the main probably do a good job for how far they want to look into things, analyse things and how far they have to scratch the surface on what is running hot in the media ATM

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
86..I could tell you a lot more re 1st grade and how they may be paid but we all have good imaginations and legal ways (in regards to loopholes of law and some NRL law) of doing stuff so enough said.
All thse articles are there to try and suppress the vitriole through social and public media places and always paint half the picture. Every year the NRL justify...everything is fine and OK.

Correct...the average fan can see that it is not an even playing field... the article is questionable @ best....that was just one example that I shared...could say any more, but better if I don't....just look at which clubs continually dominate and their rosters...that says it all...and I would even say that other clubs cannot even grab their Fringe or bench players...it's laughable...anyway I better stop before I say too much.

denis preston

First Grade
Correct...the average fan can see that it is not an even playing field... the article is questionable @ best....that was just one example that I shared...could say any more, but better if I don't....just look at which clubs continually dominate and their rosters...that says it all...and I would even say that other clubs cannot even grab their Fringe or bench players...it's laughable...anyway I better stop before I say too much.
You can never say too much on here !

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I see it..but I donnnntt believe it
Nth QLD...how?..the lowest...pfffttt
"However the likes of Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco benefited from additional whole of game sponsorship which wasn't included in the team-by-team breakdown".
That is the unanswered key here in the article....some are getting sponsorship under TPA's...not included...why and how?

There are many loopholes in the salary cap structure game sponsorship being just one, which is unlimited as far as I read.
Politis once said, that the Roosters are just better nanagers if the cap, and whilst I believe there are some very dodgy deals that have been done, the salary cap structure allows for it in its interpretation.
The more interesting fact is that we are 9th on the list, not last.

Dragon70

Juniors
There are lots of things certain clubs do

I could list some of the ones I know about but the post would be deleted

The list provided by the NRL is pure codswallop

SaintPeter

Juniors
What a lot of BS and ....................everybody knows it !
Interesting though that Melbourne have a whopping $880,000 !!!
Jesus, no wonder Smith is playing on. Hope it all catches up with him and they have a massive hiccup in 2020.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Q. How do you stop the brown paper bags or the game of golf with the chairman at 50 grand a hole?

A. You don't...

Yes but consider....

The Rorters don’t need 3rd party deals cause they are always well below the cap, regardless who they buy. Just a well oiled machine who have perfected their purchasing of the very best players at a fraction of their real worth.

Of course, playing a player their market value is a myth for this club.

TruSaint

Referee
As posted elsewhere, this paragraph in the article has been overlooked.

" The Roosters had just $69,000 worth of private sector TPAs, however the likes of Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco benefited from additional whole of game sponsorship which wasn't included in the team-by-team breakdown."

If you add Ch 9, the NRL and Fox, then players from high profile , successful clubs make a shitload. It just isn't counted as 3rd party. A technicality, but a huge one.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As posted elsewhere, this paragraph in the article has been overlooked.

" The Roosters had just $69,000 worth of private sector TPAs, however the likes of Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco benefited from additional whole of game sponsorship which wasn't included in the team-by-team breakdown."

If you add Ch 9, the NRL and Fox, then players from high profile , successful clubs make a shitload. It just isn't counted as 3rd party. A technicality, but a huge one.

Exactly:
I stated it before that a player like Tedesco's salary may take the shape of:
Base (as per salary cap) - 480k
TPA - 20k (not counted in salary cap)
Total = 500k
Whole of Game sponsorship (theory only and not counted in salary cap) 30k x 25 games = 750k
Total salary - 1.2m

Easy to report 480k as to the salary cap for Tedesco given this formula and everyone calls it a rort. Well yes it is but its within the rules.

TruSaint

Referee
That is why such reports give a very poor insight, as the public in general overlook such a vague term as "whole of game", which should simply read " NRL and its commercial partners xyz".. In addition, where does this " whole of game " end? Is it affiliates of Ch 9, as well, Fox other NRL partners not obvious to us? Have no idea.